1975 Chinook + 1992 SR5 4x4 XtraCab?

Yodaguy

Hey everyone, I'm new around here but I've been lurking.

I've owned more Toyota vehicles than I can remember, and I've rebuilt many of their trucks. In fact, I have a 1992 SR5 4x4 XtraCab sitting that I replaced the cab corners and rockers on, along with the front end components. It runs perfect but it's missing a truck bed.

I may have acquired a 1975 / 1976 Chinook coach. I'm going tomorrow to see the coach, and if it's in good enough shape, I'll take it regardless if it fits my '92.

Here are my questions, hopefully someone has answers:

1. Do you know of anyone who has mated a Chinook to a '92 4x4 SR5 XtraCab ?

2. What is the distance from the rear of the cab to the centre of the rear axle?

3. How many bolts to mount the coach to the frame?

4. What springs are recommended for the rear? Will I need to upgrade the rear axle?

5. Anything else I should know?

I have all the tools, welder, and mechanical experience with Toyota trucks, ranging from '84 to current.

Thanks in advance for the answers or any tips / leads you can provide to point me in the right direction!

Is your 92 a V6? That's a good start. If for no other reason that the tranny and rear axle are a little beefier.

You can make it work. I don't have the measurements you're looking for, but you can make it work. My Chinook has 6 frame mounts, from what I can see. Three on each side.

If you stick with stock toyota axle, I'd just add a couple leaves and get some good RV Bilstein shocks.

As long as your axles and bearings are in good shape, you'll be fine with the stock axle. Even if it is a 4cylinder. That's what my Chinook is on. 78 2wd 4 cylinder truck frame and axles.

Is your 92 a V6? That's a good start. If for no other reason that the tranny and rear axle are a little beefier.

You can make it work. I don't have the measurements you're looking for, but you can make it work. My Chinook has 6 frame mounts, from what I can see. Three on each side.

If you stick with stock toyota axle, I'd just add a couple leaves and get some good RV Bilstein shocks.

As long as your axles and bearings are in good shape, you'll be fine with the stock axle. Even if it is a 4cylinder. That's what my Chinook is on. 78 2wd 4 cylinder truck frame and axles.

Yes, it's a 1992 SR5 4x4 XtraCab with the V6 and a standard transmission. The cab is fully loaded.

If I recall, I was lucky and had the 4:10 gears in the pumpkins.

The frame was in great shape (I swapped it with another where the cab was beyond repair) so I cleaned it up and painted it with a harnder / anti-rust paint for frames.

Which springs are recommended for this conversion? Anyone have a cab weight?

If you have any links to others who have done this mod, it would be greatly appreciated.... all I can find so far is this:

1992 Toyota SR5 4x4 XtraCab V6

Wheel Base - 121.9 in.

Length - 193.1 in.

1976 Toyota Pickup (N25) (it's mounted on a 76 right now but was originally on a 75)

Wheel Base - 101.6 in.

Length - 184.0 in

The biggest challenge I'd imagine is the distance between the cab and wheel well (centre of rear axle)

Does anyone have any closeup photos they could supply of where the coach is attached to the cab?

Thanks for your help, Zach!

I'm guessing your biggest issue is going to br extending the frame, but you'll figure it out.

Springs are up to you...Chinook didn't upgrade them at all. So if you added a couple leaves, and looked around here to see what rv-ers are using for rear shocks, you'll figure it out and it'll be better than what Chinook did. Seems like bilsteins are popular.

Look down through the threads on this site, there's a Chinook 4x4 conversion thread. He'd be able to talk more about cutting the cab and attaching it to the coach.

Usually the V6 had 4.56 gears. Not stronger gears, but usually put in an all around beefier package than the 4 cylinder, but hopefully the 4.10s in the V6 were beefier than than the 4 cylinder models..?

1. Do you know of anyone who has mated a Chinook to a '92 4x4 SR5 XtraCab ?

932wdchinook_zps6523682b.png

This is an Xcab longbed 2wd.

In July I 'am starting a 1991 regular cab 4x4 longbed V6 Chinook conversion for a friend.

2. What is the distance from the rear of the cab to the centre of the rear axle?

44" Chinook's had a 110" wheel base

3. How many bolts to mount the coach to the frame?

6 into the frame 1 in the center rear of the cab. On My 1980 I deleted the cab bolt and added 2 mounts on the frame as close to the cab as possible.

4. What springs are recommended for the rear? Will I need to upgrade the rear axle?

For the 1991 project I'll be having custom 1 maybe 1.25 ton springs made for it. I'll add air bags as well. I tried adding leafs in the past it kind of works but having a beefier main top leaf is key. A Chinook fill with gear and a passenger weighs 830kg (1830lbs) on the front axle and 1400kg (3090lbs) on the rear axle.

5. Anything else I should know?

Planning and measuring is key.

Extending the frame can be a huge job; it includes; brake lines, fuel lines, gas tank mounts, e brake cables, wiring, drive shaft and the frame itself.

I will be posting my July build on here, I plan on documenting it very thoroughly. maybe there will be some helpful things for you on there?

Thanks

Lance

Why all the work for extending the frame? Is that only if you're starting with a shortbed? Or is that just the "right" way to do it? Sounds like an extension in the middle of the frame, not off the back?

Chinook just welded a few foot extension off the back of the existing frame. So no issues with brakes or fuel lines. But whether that's a Mickey Mouse way to do it, I can't say.

Why all the work for extending the frame? Is that only if you're starting with a shortbed? Or is that just the "right" way to do it? Sounds like an extension in the middle of the frame, not off the back?

Chinook just welded a few foot extension off the back of the existing frame. So no issues with brakes or fuel lines. But whether that's a Mickey Mouse way to do it, I can't say.

I can only assume that he has a short bed. The Newport does have a frame that extends out the rear to support the drop floor,bumper and the extra 6" in length over the pop top model. 73-74 pop top's had no rear extension bracket. the bumpers (split bumper) was just mounted to the under side of the rear of the couch. 75-78 pop top's have a frame under the rear section off the truck frame but its sole purpose is to mount the bumper too. I believe Jeff will need to increase his wheelbase to fit the Chinook properly. This would mean cutting and extending the frame between the rear axle and the cab. If he does have a long bed he'll have way less to do and it'll look like a 4x4 version of the picture above. I hope he doesn't have to cut anything.

As far as Chinook way being Mickey Mouse, I don't think so. They were trying to build and sell the most inexpensive RV in history. I think the pop top were in a sub 5000$ class. They did what they could with there budget targets. 73-74 didn't even have a steel frame in the fiberglass shell! Not sure what the Newport/omegas sold for??

Jeff what is the dimension from the back of your cab to the center of your rear axle?

Just saw a 4x4 xcab for sale on my way to lunch . I stopped and took a few measurements . Wheelbase 122" +/- rear of cab to center of rear axle 34.5" +/- . Definitely a shortbed. looks like you have about 10" 's to make up.

How much are you going to pay for the 1975'?

Cool. The rear extension of my frame is sagging, but it's held up pretty well considering the 35 years of weight it's held. The way they WIRED the Chinook is a bit more Mickey Mouse, but again...it's held up for 35 years, so I can't fault them much.

Yeah, I don't think there were any 90s model extended cab long beds made. At least I've never seen one.

It was 36" from the back of the cable to the middle of the rear axle on my 1992 SR5 4x4 V6 with Extended Cab.

I decided to pass on this project, it would have cost me a small fortune to stretch the frame on the '92 ... I am capable of doing it myself, but the government won't certify the work and allow it to pass safety unless a professional frame shop does the work.

I just stumbled on a 1981 Triple E Micmac IV (26') for $1800 CAD and it's only got 50,640 km's on it ... needs a little front end work (ball joints, idler arms, rear axle seals and some markers fixed). The body, chassis, interior, and exterior are mint ... I couldn't say no ....

Edited by Yodaguy