• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks kind of like melted bearings.

235/60R15 are (nominally) 235mm (9.25") wide (section width). Some on the Toyota Chinook Group swear that this setup (Tuffy's Tires) is great. Though they do put more stress on the bearings (greater width + greater rim offset), they aren't as extreme as 'Foolies' which would be even wider (185mm x 2 + 25mm (assumed gap) = 400mm).

The part that looks melted is where we tried to weld the axle back together so we could move the truck, but it lasted about 5 seconds.

I don't think I ever saw a two wheel drive Toyota with 15 inch rims and tires all I know of had 14 inch on 5 hole rims . to my knolage cant spell only the 4 wheel drive had 15 inch 6 hole rims . I own both moter home and a xtra cab 4wd. wonder what rear axle is in that camper maybe not toyota

I don't think I ever saw a two wheel drive Toyota with 15 inch rims and tires all I know of had 14 inch on 5 hole rims. To my knowledge only the 4 wheel drive had 15 inch 6 hole rims. I own both a motor home and a Xtra cab 4wd. wonder what rear axle is in that camper maybe not toyota

It's possible that the axle was replaced by a previous owner but I am under the impression that it is stock. It looks about 30 years old.

I have the VIN number for my Toyota Gran Sport: JT5RN55D5E5007419

According to this site (using your VIN):-

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?vin=JT5RN55D5E5007419&model=4Runner&year=1984&SubModel=&catalogCode=671440&VAID=2173&selectConditions=%280=RN55L-KDA3W;1=22R;3=T1;4=DLX;5=MTM;6=4F;7=RCB;8=W;9=HVY;10=ST;12=CBR;13=IV;11=USA%29&originCountry=%2811=USA%29&productionDate=198312&paintCode=033&trimCode=VQ41&isMultiCode=&sectionID=2&componentsID=41-02

you have/had axle PN 42311-35110 (replaced by 42311-35430).

A bit expensive!

http://www.toyotascionpartsdirect.com/oe-toyota/4231135430

But his site says NLA.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~shaft~rr~axle~42311-35430.html

EDIT: A few years ago, I saved the VIN for a 1985 Toyota 1-Ton SRW pickup (JT4RN55E4F0117843) for sale on EBay. I just used this VIN on the above site and it lists exactly the same part numbers for the rear axles and bearings.

If you are not going to upgrade the entire rear axle assembly to something more rugged - why not just buy a used axle and fix it? Plenty of those 5 lug axles around. I've got half a dozen of them laying in my shop. A 6 lug axle for a 4WD isn't going to be any stronger. Just makes you use a 6 lug wheel. If not upgrading, you might as well have the rear bolt pattern match the front.

You need an axle, new sealed bearing, oil seal, and locking ring. Endless amount of 14" and 15" 5 lug wheels that fit on there. 16" too. 5 lug wheels from a 2WD Ford Ranger are probably the most common. As to buying used axles - many if not most junkyards don't want to sell just the axles. Often just the entire rear axle assembly for $150 or $200. But that comes with two axles plus the Hotchkiss center-section with ring and pinion.

If it was mine and I did not want to upgrade to a FF rear- I'd stick some HD single truck tires on there with better weight capacity - like the Winnebago Lesharos use. They have the same weight load rating as a 21 foot Toyota and do it with single 14" tires in the back.

By the way, if you get anywhere near central New York - I have a stack of those 5 lug axles in storage. All good and all getting scrapped this spring. You can have for free if you get them yourself.

Around here, rust is such a problem that it's really (and I mean REALLY) rare to see any Toyota from the '80s still on the road. Consequently they've all been scrapped and crushed. Since they're so rare, I doubt that yards will bother keeping any parts around. I recently saw a 4x4 in a shop having extensive rust repairs being done to the frame. If I'd had a camera with me, I'd had taken pictures. I'm sure that just about anywhere else, it would have been scrapped. The last time I saw one in a yard's shop they were stripping the engine and transmission. Seems their standard practice was to do this and crush the rest. What were they doing with the engine and transmission? Seems there was someone buying them all locally, filling a container and shipping them to Africa. :)

Looking on www.car-part.com in Canada turns up very few 'hits' for rear axle assemblies.

If I was contemplating converting to a 6 bolt 4x4 rear wheel, I'd look for a complete rear axle assembly (with wheels) from a Pathfinder and try to find one with a 'better' ratio (4.56:1 or 4.88:1). Bound to be cheaper than buying individual parts.

Can't comment on Canada. Lots of junker Toyotas around where I go. Easy to find parts and often easy to buy rusty but running whole trucks for $300-$400. Many places that specialize in selling used parts for them also and have special Toyota-only junkyards. Hard to find any vehicle around here older than 1995 that isn't near broken in half from rust. No matter if a Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, etc.

I just looked on www.car-part.com for 1984 'rear axle assemblies'. I checked all the possible variants and there were maybe 10 listed for Canada, none closer than PEI or Saskatchewan. The only ones listed with a price were $450.

I guess that is no surprise. Isn't most everything in Canada priced higher then in the USA? When my Ford F250 blew its trans and I was stuck in London Ontario - the guys there told me the parts for my truck were all 30% cheaper if I got them in NY instead of Ontario.

30% if not more.

An Everstart Maxx-27N battery is $111.97 here at Walmart.ca.

For some reason I can't access Walmart.com at the moment to look up a US price at my nearest US Walmart (12901). Anyone care to look it up for me?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-27-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery/28275658

According to this site (using your VIN):-

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?vin=JT5RN55D5E5007419&model=4Runner&year=1984&SubModel=&catalogCode=671440&VAID=2173&selectConditions=%280=RN55L-KDA3W;1=22R;3=T1;4=DLX;5=MTM;6=4F;7=RCB;8=W;9=HVY;10=ST;12=CBR;13=IV;11=USA%29&originCountry=%2811=USA%29&productionDate=198312&paintCode=033&trimCode=VQ41&isMultiCode=&sectionID=2&componentsID=41-02

you have/had axle PN 42311-35110 (replaced by 42311-35430).

A bit expensive!

http://www.toyotascionpartsdirect.com/oe-toyota/4231135430

But his site says NLA.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~shaft~rr~axle~42311-35430.html

EDIT: A few years ago, I saved the VIN for a 1985 Toyota 1-Ton SRW pickup (JT4RN55E4F0117843) for sale on EBay. I just used this VIN on the above site and it lists exactly the same part numbers for the rear axles and bearings.

Thanks Derek. Affirmative, this is the axle shaft I need. I am in Toronto and you are correct there is practically nothing left in any junkyards in this country. They've all long salted away. A few guys around with a backyard full of yodas but they aren't exactly advertising online.

By the way, if you get anywhere near central New York - I have a stack of those 5 lug axles in storage. All good and all getting scrapped this spring. You can have for free if you get them yourself.

Hey JD,

There actually aren't lots of those axles around in Canada. There is 1 that is showing in Canada and its on the other side of the country. If you are serious about your 5 lug axle collection, Ill PM you and set up a time to call you, thank you!

Thank you all very much for your help and patience. I am determined to get my truck back on the road as it's been my daily driver for the last 12 months (don't ask). I would also guess that it may be one of the very last Gran Sport by Ranger Toyota Pop Tops left in existence. With only 127,000 miles on it and 20,000 of those being in the last 12 months this truck deserves to live, or at the very least die another day.

Hey JD,

There actually aren't lots of those axles around in Canada. There is 1 that is showing in Canada and its on the other side of the country. If you are serious about your 5 lug axle collection, Ill PM you and set up a time to call you, thank you!

I've got a place in central New York where I've got many parts stockpiled. About 15 miles from Cooperstown. 80 acres with many parts vehicles. Much will get scrapped this spring when I sell the house and land on May 1. 2015. I've got many axles already pulled from 5 lug Toyota pickups. Also got a 1978 Toyota Chinook with a complete rear axle assembly you can have for free if you have someone to yank it out. Trans and engine are already out. I'm 800 miles away and won't be back there until around April 1. That all being said, I come across many junked or near junked Toyotas here in northern Michigan. 80s-90s trucks seem to be all over the place sitting in fields or junk-lots.

• 2 months later...

Offering an update to anyone who might help:

It's been nearly three months since my Toyhome has been on the disabled list and we still haven't found a replacement axle shaft. Not for a lack of trying however.

I'm currently in Thailand and have found lots of axle shafts available but none that are an exact match to the 5 Lug One Ton 2WD rear axle shaft for a 4-speed '84 Toyota.

The ones I found were off just slightly on a couple of the measurements and while buying them is inexpensive, shipping them to Toronto, Canada is not so I'm not up for taking chances.

I'll attempt to describe the variables in a couple posts.

I would love to (need to) get my Toy back on the road this spring and eventually paint and restore it.

Cheers!

1o3tr5.jpg

There is always a chance, if you're interested in keeping the rv long-term and are willing, that just swapping the entire rear axle (housing, shafts etc) for something else is going to be the best option.

But I don't know enough to know if you're to that point yet, or if you just haven't been looking in the right places.

Thanks Derek.

We've located a couple assembly's, one in Nova Scotia as well (We are in Ontario) but the whole assembly plus shipping will be almost $1000. We really just need the right rear axle shaft so we've been searching like mad before going that route. I found one in Thailand for $45 but some of the measurements are off just slightly and it's too hard to say from here if it would match.

thank you very much for your help!

There is always a chance, if you're interested in keeping the rv long-term and are willing, that just swapping the entire rear axle (housing, shafts etc) for something else is going to be the best option.

But I don't know enough to know if you're to that point yet, or if you just haven't been looking in the right places.

Thanks Zach. Yes we could swap for a Chev rear end, we've looked into this. Would also put us well over $1000 which is not ideal for sure, but a last resort. I'd like to keep the truck long term but I've been down this never-ending repair road with a Vintage RV once already (ford) and guess who won that one? Not me!! I'd like to keep this repair under $500 if at all possible.

• 1 month later...

Linda, and all others thank you so much for your help. I'm just writing to clarify that I've replaced my axle shaft. I was in Thailand all winter and I picked one up there in Chiang Mai. Thailand is littered with mid 80's toyotas so it seemed the logical place to look. The shaft cost approximately $55 and I was not charged by any of the airlines to check it upon returning to Canada.

The truck is daily driving again, thanks for your help.

1zd173b.jpg

Glad your on the road again. Thailand is not the place we would usually recommend sourcing parts but sounds like you got a great deal. The airlines must have just been in shock seeing someone board a plane with a truck axle.

Linda S

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all.

I need axle parts, & can't figure out where to get them.

I purchased a toyota heavy duty 6 lug full floating dually axle which came off of a 1 ton dually truck from a guy who got it out of a wrecking yard to replace the semi-floating 5 lug axle in my 84 motorhome....I pulled the third member for an inspection as I was checking out the (new to me) axle, & it turns out the ring & pinion are badly pitted; apparently water had gotten into the differential housing; probably while this axle sat in the junk yard for many years...

Anyway, I have searched all over the net to find a third member assembly, including ring & pinion for this critter; & I have no idea what toyota axle crosses over for parts with the dually RWD axle used in the 1 ton dually trucks & motorhomes (same axle).

I would prefer a third member set-up w/ ring & pinion; or even just the ring & pinion that will fit these axles.

These dually axles are full floating w/ an 8" ring gear; & are not listed by any replacement parts suppliers!

I was told by a buddy that the third member or ring & pinion for the rear full floating axle in the FJ80 landcruiser should fit; but I can't find one that is 8"!

Also, all the 8" ring & pinion sets for 4WD hi-Lux/ pickup rear axles are semi floating; which I doubt would work, as they use 27 spline axle shafts, & the full floater for the dually uses 30 spline axle shafts!

HELP! Where can I find a third member w/ ring & pinion; or even just the ring & pinion for my toyota motorhome 6 lug full floating dually axle!

thanks in advance, JD.

Edited by Mr Polytech

Hi, all.

I purchased a toyota heavy duty 6 lug full floating dually axle which came off of a 1 ton dually truck from a guy who got it out of a wrecking yard to replace the semi-floating 5 lug axle in my 84 motorhome....I pulled the third member for an inspection as I was checking out the (new to me) axle, & it turns out the ring & pinion are badly pitted; apparently water had gotten into the differential housing; probably while this axle sat in the junk yard for many years...

Anyway, I have searched all over the net to find a third member assembly, including ring & pinion for this critter; & I have no idea what toyota axle crosses over for parts with the dually RWD axle used in the 1 ton dually trucks & motorhomes (same axle).

I would prefer a third member set-up w/ ring & pinion; or even just the ring & pinion that will fit these axles.

These dually axles are full floating w/ an 8" ring gear; & are not listed by any replacement parts suppliers!

I was told by a buddy that the third member or ring & pinion for the rear full floating axle in the FJ80 landcruiser should fit; but I can't find one that is 8"!

Also, all the 8" ring & pinion sets for 4WD hi-Lux/ pickup rear axles are semi floating; which I doubt would work, as they use 27 spline axle shafts, & the full floater for the dually uses 30 spline axle shafts!

HELP! Where can I find a third member w/ ring & pinion; or even just the ring & pinion for my toyota motorhome 6 lug full floating dually axle!

thanks in advance, JD.

Hi, all.

thanks in advance, JD.

A standard Hotchkiss center-section from any 8" Toyota rear will bolt right in. Make no difference if it's from a 5 lug semi-floater. I have a 1987 full floater in my 1978 Chinook and I stuck the 1978 "Hotchkiss" center-section into it. The difference between some of the older 70s centers - and later ones is just the pinion flange where the driveshaft hooks to. Get a later center-section and you'll be fine. Catch is you likely need a 4.10 to 1 ratio to match what you have. Another option is just buy a new ring and pinion set of gears. Put in a 4.56 ratio and you'll wind up with a useful overdrive - which you don't get with the standard 4.10 to 1 ratio.

I know nothing about the axle, but I loved my 6 months in Chaing Mai. Keep promising myself I will get back there someday. Now if I need parts I will have a reason. :mellow:

Jim On jungle Wifi in the Philippines

Here's a 1978 Hotchkiss center-section compared to a 1987 from a full-floater. They swap back and forth. Same axle splines and same foot-print. The difference with a 70s unit is the gear ratio is 4.11 to 1, instead of 4.10 to 1 like the 80s-90s units. That and the 70s have different splines where the drive-shaft yoke goes on. If you get a section from a 80s truck - the semi-floater is the same as from a dually full-floater.

post-6578-0-63292900-1428548030_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-37390500-1428548032_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-86725900-1428548164_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28795900-1428548166_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-07958500-1428548302_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I plan on living in my 87 dolphin motorhome with me and my gf, I was wondering what is the most stable and reliable rear axle/ suspension i can get to guarantee stability with miles and lots of hills ( seeing as how i am in california and travel to my home town las vegas frequently and to utah for work, also would it be in my best interest to swap my 4 cylinder to the v6? or heavily modify my 4 cylinder?