I recently spoke with two owners of 4x4 Sunraders about their axles. One of them broke his fake dually axle way down in Baja but was able to drive all the way home with the front wheels. (Pretty cool to have redundancy, eh?) I forgot to ask how many miles were on his when it broke. The other owner bought his brand new back in the 80's and just sold it with the original fake dually axle with 250,000 original miles on it. He said that he figures the key for its longevity was because he changed the fluid and checked the bearings regularly and always had less air psi in the outer tires.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4x4's have 15 inch wheels. Tires are heavier load range because they are bigger and 215's fit without rubbing. Enough load to run with the outside dually at substantially less pressure than the inner. So it would be much like running on a single tire. Dually would just add stability on turns. Very possible someone who knows how to drive smart could go a long way with no problem.

Linda S

• 5 months later...

About to buy very first motorhome. A 1981 Toyota. The tag in cabinet says General RV Co. Looks like a Dolphin to me. At any rate, after lurking in the forum for a few days, you have shown what is possible with work and TLC. My only concern is the whole axle issue on an '81. This is what is on it, from what I can tell with my exceptional non-knowledge, I'm ok. What do y'all think?

post-7854-0-51135200-1405285714_thumb.jp

About to buy very first motorhome. A 1981 Toyota. The tag in cabinet says General RV Co. Looks like a Dolphin to me. At any rate, after lurking in the forum for a few days, you have shown what is possible with work and TLC. My only concern is the whole axle issue on an '81. This is what is on it, from what I can tell with my exceptional non-knowledge, I'm ok. What do y'all think?

Your in luck. Your axle has been upgraded and is the good one. General RV eventually became Leisure Odyssey makers of the well known Toyota Odyssey motorhomes.

Linda S

Yes, looks good (other than needing a lick of paint). The only thing to note is that since it has 6 hand-hole rims, it quite likely has left hand threaded studs and nuts on the driver's side.

The tire, OTOH, looks a bit sad. You might be looking at replacing them at ~$100 each.

Thank y'all very much. My ignorance is overwhelming but I know what I don't know, so I'll be here a lot. She's an unnamed '81, 94k miles on a 22R with 4 speed, no (to speak of) rust, interior is very good (except carpet) with no sign of any leaks and exterior just ok, but no dings. At $2000 can't pass up the dream. Owner is letting me bring home for a few days to check out systems after fuel pump is replaced. Plan to spend remainder of summer and winter renovating and starting trips in early spring. Thanks again, Bob

Hah hah, you lucked out there with it already having the one ton axle and good for you!

Thank y'all very much. My ignorance is overwhelming but I know what I don't know, so I'll be here a lot. She's an unnamed '81, 94k miles on a 22R with 4 speed, no (to speak of) rust, interior is very good (except carpet) with no sign of any leaks and exterior just ok, but no dings. At $2000 can't pass up the dream. Owner is letting me bring home for a few days to check out systems after fuel pump is replaced. Plan to spend remainder of summer and winter renovating and starting trips in early spring. Thanks again, Bob

Sounds like a good deal if the RV isn't rotted and the truck isn't rusted. Rotted and rusted Toyota RVs in my area often sell for $700-$800. Clean ones for $3000-$6000.

If you want to check it all over while you have the summer - I'd jack all four wheels off the ground and check all the axle-bearings, brakes, and seals. That rear axle has unknown miles on it since you don't know if it was installed new - or used from some other rig. Has sealed bearings that do not self-lube unless it's been modified. Actually - most of the Toyota FF rears I've had apart with high miles DID start to self-lube. Not part of the original design though. Brakes, seals, are cheap. Now is the time to find out what it needs - rather then later out on the road somewhere.

Since his axle is from 1986 only, which I should have mentioned, there is no way it was new when installed. Might have already had quite a few miles on it. Don't forget the left hand thread thing Derek mentioned. Very important that no one tries to take the drivers side rear wheel off without knowing this. You can break the lug bolt and they are kind of hard to track down new ones

Linda S

Since his axle is from 1986 only, which I should have mentioned, there is no way it was new when installed. Might have already had quite a few miles on it. Don't forget the left hand thread thing Derek mentioned. Very important that no one tries to take the drivers side rear wheel off without knowing this. You can break the lug bolt and they are kind of hard to track down new ones

Linda S

If it was mine - I'd knock out those left-hand studs and replace with right-hand. I've had too many broken off in other trucks during mandatory New York State DMV inspections. One time - with my 1969 Dodge Power Wagon - I even warned the inspector of the left-hand threads. Even so - he broke two off with his air-gun. That was at a Monroe franchise repair and inspection center.

What he said about the studs x2

• 1 month later...

Axle Facts, Questions & Answers is a place to post your questions regarding the old and new axles our Toyota Motorhomes have. 1986 and earlier Toys came with a non floating type axle subject to breaking. 1987 and later were equipped with a full floating axle.

For a complete Axle Fact article written by HeyJames451 from the Yahoo Campers group click Axle_FAQ.pdf. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. The document will open in its own window.

I have a 1990 Dolphin Toyota RV - the truck is a 1989, has the 1 ton 6 lug dual wheel axle - would like to know how to get the torque specs and any information on replacing brakes and parts - A repair guide or manual would help.

• 2 months later...

I've spent an hour searching this thread but couldn't find if there is information or discussion about swapping one of these infamous rear axles for say, a Ford ranger axle, or some other conversion?

My axle just snapped, (16 foot 16' single rears 5 lug 1984 GRAN SPORT pop-up) and the right side tire flew off. It was pretty nasty. At first look you might conclude I overweighed the chassis with the addition built on top but that addition only weighs 150lbs. I removed the fridge and much of the interior and was travelling alone with no cargo, so I doubt 150lbs of oak wood caused my axle to break, considering the helper springs and heavy duty shocks I have on it.

--20,000 relatively trouble free miles this year prior to this though, so not bad for an '84.

My truck has two approx 16" tires on the rear (non dually) and it's a 5 lug axle.

Im in Canada and options are bleak for replacing it with a Toyota axle of any kind. One mechanic told me to swap out the rear with a Ford Ranger and I'm wandering if anyone has attempted anything similar to this with a Toyhome?

Thank you.

post-7485-0-81485300-1416158707_thumb.jp

If I was looking for an axle to swap, I'd start by looking at axles with a BCD to match what there now. Being able to recycle the rims would be good. I don't know what BCD the Ranger used. Plus I've no idea if a Ranger axle would be an upgrade.

Why not just buy a couple of new axles and bearings? Unless there's something wrong with the axle housing, you should be good for another 30 years.

I doubt a Ranger would be an upgrade. They're pretty little trucks...

I believe you that your oak didn't overload the axles. But I'm not sure I agree that any suspension upgrade somehow allows the axle to handle more weight. Weight is weight. Suspension doesn't add an extra bearing or anything to your axle shaft. The springs and leaves are still sitting on the axle.

It doesn't look like you're heavier than my camper, so I'd just figure it was a fluke (I mean, kind of...we know these axles are way overloaded), or the bearings just weren't replaced when they should have been, or..? Who knows.

So the axle actually snapped? Not just a bearing failure?

I think that unless you're swapping a one ton axle in, what's the point? Why swap a weak axle for another weak axle?

Regular Toyota truck axles fail sometimes. You have single rear wheels so the dually wheels is not an issue. I would take a look at the wheels on it and see if someone put a wheel on with a big offset. That could have put a similar strain on the bearings as a dual well set up. You need a wheel with no offset or very little. Look for a Toyota complete axle and diff from a v6 truck. A little wider and a little stronger than your old one. Also check your axle code and make sure it's a G axle. There is a very slim chance your truck had a 7.5 inch diff and 8 inch axle shafts won't fit. 27 splines instead of 30. If your shaft is out you can just count the splines

Linda S

IT HAS BEEN SEVERAL YEARS SINCE MY LAST POST, SO THIS IS IMPORTANT MAYBE TO SOME. HERE WE ARE 10PM FRIDAY NIGHT NORTHBOUND I-95 WATERVILLE, MAINE HEADING TO MOOSEHEAD LAKE CRUISING AT 75 MPH, WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN A HUGE EXPLOSION FROM UNDERNEATH THE ODYESSE, I INSTANTLY START LOSING CONTROL OF THE STEERING. I LOOK AT THE OUTSIDE MIRRORS AND I SEE A TIRE AND RIM BOUNCE OFF THE FRONT BUMPER OF THE CAR BEHIND US, THEN THERE IS A DRAGGING AND PULLING TO THE PASSENGER SIDE, WE FINALLY COME TO A STOP 2 FEET FROM A GUARD RAIL. AN INSPECTION REVEALED THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR DUAL WHEELS, ALL 5 STUDS HAD SHEERED OFF, CASTING US DOWN THE INTERSTATE ON A 70MPH TRIPOD ! NOBODY HURT, 6 HOURS LATER A SPECIAL ''LO-BOY'' FLATBED, WE WERE HOME. DAMAGE WAS MINIMAL, 5 NEW STUDS / LUG NUTS, AND 2 NEW TIRES.... BUT MY QUESTION FOR THE GROUP IS THIS : " WHY ? " and WILL IT HAPPEN AGAIN? THERE IS ONLY 45,000 MILES ON THIS RIG.... THANK YOU !

If I was looking for an axle to swap, I'd start by looking at axles with a BCD to match what there now. Being able to recycle the rims would be good. I don't know what BCD the Ranger used. Plus I've no idea if a Ranger axle would be an upgrade.

Why not just buy a couple of new axles and bearings? Unless there's something wrong with the axle housing, you should be good for another 30 years.

Hey thanks for the reply. The bearings seem fine, it's just the axle that snapped clean off.

The problem I'm having is that my truck is so unusually set up, compared to the other Toyhomes. I don't have a dually rear but rather two fat tires (believe 16" but will measure tomorrow, they're considerably bigger than the ones in the front) on what we can only conclude is maybe a 5 lug 1 ton floating, not "full floating" axle, or perhaps its a 3/4 ton axle...

Finding a matching axle for this truck will be like searching for a leprechaun.

I've not seen another Toyhome like it, except two I found in a Google search. It measures around 17 feet in length made by some outfit called "Gran Sport" spelled exactly like that.

I doubt a Ranger would be an upgrade. They're pretty little trucks...

I believe you that your oak didn't overload the axles. But I'm not sure I agree that any suspension upgrade somehow allows the axle to handle more weight. Weight is weight. Suspension doesn't add an extra bearing or anything to your axle shaft. The springs and leaves are still sitting on the axle.

It doesn't look like you're heavier than my camper, so I'd just figure it was a fluke (I mean, kind of...we know these axles are way overloaded), or the bearings just weren't replaced when they should have been, or..? Who knows.

So the axle actually snapped? Not just a bearing failure?

I think that unless you're swapping a one ton axle in, what's the point? Why swap a weak axle for another weak axle?

Thanks for the reply Chinook, You're correct on the weight/suspension issue for sure. If you're in a chinook then yes it's about the same size as mine which is around 17'.

After a lot of research, I agree it was a fluke. It's a 30 year old camper and I've put over 20,000 miles on it in the 10 months I've owned it.

The bearings were fine and lots of oil everywhere. Axle snapped clean.

Perhaps you would be a great person to ask where I might even begin to look for a replacement axle? I see nothing on Kijiji, Craigslist or eBay. I'm in Toronto, Canada, my mechanic has called the yards and appears to be non in Canada.

Thanks a bunch

You refer to '16" tires'. Are you saying your tires are 16" wide or the rims are 16" diameter?

Sorry, I meant 16 inches wide. But perhaps I've overstated. They are considerably bigger than the front tires, ill measure them.

Regular Toyota truck axles fail sometimes. You have single rear wheels so the dually wheels is not an issue. I would take a look at the wheels on it and see if someone put a wheel on with a big offset. That could have put a similar strain on the bearings as a dual well set up. You need a wheel with no offset or very little. Look for a Toyota complete axle and diff from a v6 truck. A little wider and a little stronger than your old one. Also check your axle code and make sure it's a G axle. There is a very slim chance your truck had a 7.5 inch diff and 8 inch axle shafts won't fit. 27 splines instead of 30. If your shaft is out you can just count the splines

Linda S

Thank you Linda, I'll look at it with my mechanic tomorrow and get these answers. I'll take some pics as well, thanks for the great advice, I'll look into V6 trucks

All available aftermarket Toyota axle shafts are for 4x4's. Certainly usable but if you currently have a 5 lug you will need new wheels and probably tires since I don't think there are any 14 inch wheels with that lug pattern. All the 4x4's came with 15 inch wheels.

Linda S

IT HAS BEEN SEVERAL YEARS SINCE MY LAST POST, SO THIS IS IMPORTANT MAYBE TO SOME. HERE WE ARE 10PM FRIDAY NIGHT NORTHBOUND I-95 WATERVILLE, MAINE HEADING TO MOOSEHEAD LAKE CRUISING AT 75 MPH, WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN A HUGE EXPLOSION FROM UNDERNEATH THE ODYESSE, I INSTANTLY START LOSING CONTROL OF THE STEERING. I LOOK AT THE OUTSIDE MIRRORS AND I SEE A TIRE AND RIM BOUNCE OFF THE FRONT BUMPER OF THE CAR BEHIND US, THEN THERE IS A DRAGGING AND PULLING TO THE PASSENGER SIDE, WE FINALLY COME TO A STOP 2 FEET FROM A GUARD RAIL. AN INSPECTION REVEALED THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR DUAL WHEELS, ALL 5 STUDS HAD SHEERED OFF, CASTING US DOWN THE INTERSTATE ON A 70MPH TRIPOD ! NOBODY HURT, 6 HOURS LATER A SPECIAL ''LO-BOY'' FLATBED, WE WERE HOME. DAMAGE WAS MINIMAL, 5 NEW STUDS / LUG NUTS, AND 2 NEW TIRES.... BUT MY QUESTION FOR THE GROUP IS THIS : " WHY ? " and WILL IT HAPPEN AGAIN? THERE IS ONLY 45,000 MILES ON THIS RIG.... THANK YOU !

I kind of don't know what to say to this. You say you have been a member here for a while but never heard the word about the 5 lug axle. They were recalled and are not safe. Certainly not at 75 miles an hour which I consider excessive speed for an older, over weight Toyota motorhome. I also find it hard to believe your hub and axle hit the road at 70 miles an hour and sustained no damage. The fake duallies that were made out of the Ford Ranger rims on the inside were known to suffer from stud sheer. Holes are for half inch studs instead of 12mm like the Toyota. .7 mm bigger so not quite the right fit. Movement can cause the sheer

Linda S

All available aftermarket Toyota axle shafts are for 4x4's. Certainly usable but if you currently have a 5 lug you will need new wheels and probably tires since I don't think there are any 14 inch wheels with that lug pattern. All the 4x4's came with 15 inch wheels.

Linda S

Exactly Linda. This is the dilemma.

My Chinook came with super wide rear tires and wheels. I switched to stock Toyota size, and haven't had any problems.

I don't see why you'd have any problem finding a new axle shaft...

Or are you looking for the entire axle housing?

Linda pin-pointed the problem. The only available axle shafts I can find anywhere are for 1/2 tons or if Im lucky maybe a 6 lug 1 ton full floating, but neither are the axle that I have. My axle appears to be a 5 Lug 1 ton floating which won't match either of those, in fact now that I type this Im guessing maybe we have something custom made if that's even possible.

Your axle is a standard 8 inch. Can be found on lots of toyota truck but you need a 2wd for it to be 5 lug. Try looking for SR5, long beds and single wheel 1 tons. Lots of other trucks were made with them too but you need to check the axle code on the plate on the inside fender wall or the firewall. Looks like this. Your looking for that G in the red circled area. means it's an 8 inch

Linda S

http://www.brian894x4.com/sitebuilder/images/vinplatearrow2-534x244.jpg

Your axle is a standard 8 inch. Can be found on lots of toyota truck but you need a 2wd for it to be 5 lug. Try looking for SR5, long beds and single wheel 1 tons. Lots of other trucks were made with them too but you need to check the axle code on the plate on the inside fender wall or the firewall. Looks like this. Your looking for that G in the red circled area. means it's an 8 inch

Linda S

http://www.brian894x4.com/sitebuilder/images/vinplatearrow2-534x244.jpg

Thank you very much Linda, I think this is information will get me on my way. I'll keep you posted. I've put pics below of my situation if you can confirm possibly from the pics?