• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Cossacks said:

Last one on Dereks list South Florida Auto wreckers guy name was John. Asked for 2wd and 4 rims. Got 3 and 19 lunches short.  Told no refund. Should be on road tomarrow.  The shop is doing all the mods that are needed. 

Regards Robert

IMG_1516204482318.jpg

If you used a credit card for the purchase, notify your bank you want to contest the charges. It will involve some hassles, but you will probably get your money back. They didn't send you what you purchased.

1200 to get the axle moded and installed. Drives like race a car now .No sway going around corners now. No need for passenger  to hold oh shit handle. Solid work done. Thanks again guys for all the info

Pulled it apart, fresh grease ,new diff oil, didn't  pull 3 member, but drained it out overnight with lots of brakes cleaner ,brakes were still in good shape. Made brackets up for shocks ,replaced some brake lines.perch pads spot on no mod needed there..

In baton rouge  now a couple of hundred of miles before I dump diff oil. with new oil.

regards Robert 

• 1 month later...

Hello to anyone that could possibly help me!?
I just purchased a 1983 18' Sunrader 4cyl manual 104K miles. See everyone mentioning the 5 lug rear axle fake dually issue. I'm not well versed in mechanical repairs or parts.

1.) Does anyone have any recommendations of a shop with prior experience that may be able to replace my rear with the full floating 1 ton axle? 
Also I would need help hunting down the components for this swap. I'm located in Los Angeles and willing to get it done in surrounding areas, if required.

OR

2.) Can I get a different type of axle that will allow single tires on the rear axle and no longer need the Duallies? If so, let me know what is needed.

3.) How can I lift the RV some for more clearance from the ground? It rides like low like a car currently.
Does bigger tires work, or is there more involved than just switching out for larger tires?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much!
~Katrina

These places seem to have the correct rear axle, see below. I do believe California Minitruck also can do the work but it won't be cheap. Maybe more than you paid for the whole camper. You also need to make sure they have the wheels since your current ones will no longer work. Another option is to remove your rear fake duallys and replace them with single Toyota wheels. The right tires are a must for this. You will lose some stability on turns but it's safer than the fake duallys. Might be a good idea to have you existing rear axle serviced with new bearings to make sure the old ones aren't damaged.

Lifting the Toy is usually done with air bags in the rear. They will also add some stability. Like these

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4594&gclid=CjwKCAiAz-7UBRBAEiwAVrz-9aby0-637egehkSGrcDMG5qqxRPWHKbcks4iFWVja73R4RDnInacYRoCos4QAvD_BwE

I didn't shop price and you might be able to find cheaper by looking around

Linda S

Schimmick's Auto Dismantler USA-CA(Torrance) E-mail 1-877-289-7329 7
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
-0MI 0   2065 $Call SV Auto Dismantling USA-CA(Irwindale) Request_Quote 626-256-9400 Request_Insurance_Quote
LiveChat_space.gif
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck

B2441986DF4541D58A2FE6482FEDD508002_thumb.jpg4x2, dual rear wheel, 1 ton,4X2-0MI

0   L007 $1000 California Mini-Truck USA-CA(Montclair) Request_Quote 909-622-1381 Request_Insurance_Quote

12 minutes ago, linda s said:

Another option is to remove your rear fake duallys and replace them with single Toyota wheels. The right tires are a must for this. You will lose some stability on turns but it's safer than the fake duallys. Might be a good idea to have you existing rear axle serviced with new bearings to make sure the old ones aren't damaged.

Thanks so much Linda for information, very appreciative!

Another question...
You've mentioned the other option to remove the rear fake duallys and replace then with single Toyota wheels...
If I do it this way do I need to still get a axle replacement but a different kind of axle? If so, what kind?

Also if I do it this way,  is it any easier to find a mechanic to do this sort of thing? I've called around to quite a few places already regarding RV Replacements and noone seems to want to mess with RV's even if it's a short smaller RV. 

Thank you!

No axle replacement needed to use single wheels. But because of the age, service is a must to make sure your current axle hasn't been damaged. Yes finding places that will work on RV's is hard. I try to search out the smaller shops that work on trucks. Your whole motorhome weighs less than a full sized ford 4x4 so they can't tell you it's too heavy for their lift. Hopefully someone in southern Cal will step in here and offer some options for mechanic

Linda S

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

No axle replacement needed to use single wheels. But because of the age, service is a must to make sure your current axle hasn't been damaged. Yes finding places that will work on RV's is hard.

Just to confirm,  so NO axle replacement needed if I go single wheels exchange plan? (Hoping to go this route,sounds simpler I think)

So basically I find a reputable mechanic to remove the fake duallys on the existing rear axle and then have them inspect it o make sure there's no prior axle damage.
If all good, then get new bearings.
Then just get the right new tires to fit. (Now 2 front, 2 rear instead)
Is there a specific size or type of tire that you already know of that I should be looking for? is it the D or E, and how many inches?

Sorry still trying to wrap my head around the whole issue with the axle to begin with..my head is spinning after looking at so many threads and posts regarding this.
Is this whole axle issue because back in the day they didn't generally produce larger size wheels/tires to fit and support these RV's?
Then to band-aid the situation or so they thought, did they installed these fake duallys to support the weight, but realistically created a stress on the axle to break?

Thanks again for all your input, You are so very Awesome! =)

Next thing to do is get the Toy weighed. Front axle weight and rear axle weight. The rear weight is VERY important in helping you chose your single rear tires.

The proper single wheel is a snap. Its the same as the front wheels, a common Toyota Pickup 14" wheel. Easy, peasy in a local wrecking yard.

3 hours ago, WME said:

Next thing to do is get the Toy weighed. Front axle weight and rear axle weight. The rear weight is VERY important in helping you chose your single rear tires.

The proper single wheel is a snap. Its the same as the front wheels, a common Toyota Pickup 14" wheel. Easy, peasy in a local wrecking yard.

Thanks I will find a truck stop scale and try to figure this out.
And does it make sense to just go ahead and get E rated tires regardless?

If you plan to keep 14' rims on the rear (to match the front) you won't find any Load Range E tires available. If you search really hard, I think you might find 195R14 Load Range D (rated at 1984lb). Otherwise, you'll have to use what most of us do, 185R14 LR D (rated at 1875lb).

39 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

If you plan to keep 14' rims on the rear (to match the front) you won't find any Load Range E tires available. If you search really hard, I think you might find 195R14 Load Range D (rated at 1984lb). Otherwise, you'll have to use what most of us do, 185R14 LR D (rated at 1875lb).

This is the reason that the rear axle weight MUST be known before you go to single tires in the rear.

P.S you will find ST205/75/R14 E rated tires everywhere, BUT they are trailer tires and a major no/no for RV use.

This is one of the only companies that make a larger tire that will work that has a higher load rating.

https://www.tires-easy.com/205-14/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101/tirecode/TH0309

This would be my choice. The Thunderer are good tires

Another option is going to a larger wheel. 2wd Tacoma's have the 5 lug pattern on a 15 inch wheel. There are options for tires in a 15 inch size too.

Linda S

Hi guys and girls.

Expect to pay 1200 for axle get with rims and leaf springs. Might be a better set. Sway bar as well. Its different for the 6 bolt. This i know. The guys had to MacGyver my 5 bolt sway bar to the 6 bolt axle. They moved perch pads shock mounts etc.

Brakes will need to be replaced 1100 if everything has to be replaced.drums brake pistions,  shoes and springs

Find a 4x4 repair shop. Lots in your area. They love doing axle swaps. Mine cost 1100 seems  thats the going price. 

Great people here as I just had mine done last month.  Note be careful on the width of the axle. Hope some of This helps you decide

Edited by Cossacks

On 1/21/2016 at 10:03 AM, zero said:

I don't see a need for a full-floater either. But is it a nice upgrade? Heck yes. You get the extra stability of dual tires and a rear stabilizer bar plus bigger rear brakes.

Good deal more weight to haul around.

On 4/19/2017 at 2:11 PM, 82okanagan said:

Hi, everyone.  I have a Canadian model called Okanagan, 16 1/2 foot, I have the 5 lug with extension kit rear axle, but because it's not a long distance runner, I'm going to keep it as is.  Does anyone have extra nuts and bolts for this setup?  I need inner nuts with sleeves, inner bolts, and outer fine thread nuts.  If someone has these leftover from their conversion, I could really use what you have.

thank you,...Big Jim

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

Well that's a new one for me I have never seen one of them sure looks like it could really stress an axle.

Yes crazy long adapters but it eliminated the need for the fake duallies. Sticks out far enough that 2 single wheels fit. 5 to 10 lbs more pressure on the inside wheel would relieve a lot of the axle stress but you would still have the outside wheel for stability on turns. Might work on something this small

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 3:47 AM, bonzo said:

hi, i just bought a 1984 toyota dolphin with the dreaded and recalled five nut setup. should i be worried? am about to embark on a south america trip from the US. 

Not all 5 lug will fail, ya feeling lucky?  In S America you should be able to get the labor to replace cheap. 

No idea of availability of axles there? 

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

we will try not to overload and drive slow. i cant afford a new axle with all the goods right now. :)

It's overloaded the minute you sit down. Add to that road conditions where your going. At least get those dangerous duallies off. You can run it with single wheels in back. Regular 2wd Toyota truck wheels will work. Cheap at a salvage yard.Here's some tires that can handle the extra load. Also cheap.

https://www.tires-easy.com/205-14/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101/tirecode/TH0309

Linda S

You do know you can't drive to South America, right?

thank you for the replies. i just bought 6 brand new tires also. heavy duty ones. i think yokohama light truck or something like that. i will look in the morning. would i be better off taking off the extra wheel? wouldn’t the stability be compromised much ?

9FFFEE8D-EC32-4746-BDEA-26738ADD705F.jpeg

96D79A3E-6EAB-4437-80CA-C4CE80CA6683.jpeg

and yes, the Darien gap between Panama and Colombia ?

Edited by bonzo

The problem with the dual wheels that really aren't is leverage they put more stress on the single bearing axle. They generally break at the bearing radius from flexing. The setup you have is very strange and exacerbates the problem by increasing the leverage even more. Your MH really needs a full floater it is too heavy for the single bearing axle. I would guess your weight to be around 6,400# or close to 1,500# or more  greater than what the vehicle was rated for. When the axles break you also lose rear brakes and the wheels.  Toyotas are popular world wide so South America is full of them too but stuck on the side of the road somewhere with a broken axle if nothing else is going to be a long wait. Do you speak Spanish? That would be a help too. 

Taking the extra wheel off will stop the offset weight on the bearing in the back. Possibly stopping it from total failure. On a mountain road this could also save you from imminent death. I always recommend getting the rear bearings serviced in case some damage has already been done. Hope those Yokahama's aren't really just LT tires. You need 8 ply D load range tires at the least. For single rears the ones I posted are better still with a weight limit of like 2200 lbs. Not sure but close to that. Just looked it up 2230 lbs when running it on a single wheel.