I appreciate the warnings, and I'm generally a cautious person.  This is not a cross country rig, just a local tootle around for the wife and I.  It's an unmodified camper, and the rear end is in really good shape.  I even have a rig I could tow it around with if I needed, but it runs well, drives smooth, and I'm currently maintaining it..  I normally travel at 50 mph max, because it's comfortable.  I'm not climbing mountains, just driving on the Prairies.  Not sure if I will replace the axle or not, but not today.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OooK. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

8 hours ago, 82okanagan said:

I appreciate the warnings, and I'm generally a cautious person.  This is not a cross country rig, just a local tootle around for the wife and I.  It's an unmodified camper, and the rear end is in really good shape.  I even have a rig I could tow it around with if I needed, but it runs well, drives smooth, and I'm currently maintaining it..  I normally travel at 50 mph max, because it's comfortable.  I'm not climbing mountains, just driving on the Prairies.  Not sure if I will replace the axle or not, but not today.

You can extend the life of the axle and yourself by removing the dually set up and using a single wheel in the back. It's that long extension putting stress on the bearings that causes most of the problems. Your camper is little and correct D load range tires should be plenty to support the weight of your camper. I had an Okanagan Van that my daughter and I traveled the country with. Named her Gypsy and we still talk about her. Great rig

Linda S

My 1984 New Horizon Toyota missed the rear axle recall and I was unaware of the problem when I purchased it in 2014.   After adding 18,000 miles in 18 months, a near disaster occurred on the 101 in N. Calif.  It had 78,000 miles on it at that point. I heard a clicking noise and was able to pull over and saw that one of outside rear tire rims was cracking. I limped into a local mechanic and a Les Schwab shop. They could do nothing and could not get a local machine shop to assume responsibility for trying to fix it. On the internet, they could find no used axles in Western US. So, I slowly made it back to Arizona on 3 rear wheels. After a long search, I finally found a junkyard in Phoenix that had a 6 lug rear axle. They replaced the defective axle for $1500, parts and labor. Since then, I've driven it for an additional 6,000 miles with no problems.

On 2017-04-20 at 4:50 PM, WME said:

OooK. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink

First, I've been driving big rigs and small for 38 years, not horses.  Always maintained, never broken anything.  There is nothing wrong with my axles, only a few strangely shaped bolts I'd like to replace.  I'm sorry if you've all had close calls;  but you don't need to insult me just because mine's not broke.  I'll drink water, but not necessarily your kool-aid.  Thanks for all your help.  I have found a local fabricator to make my bolts, we're just checking the metallurgy now to make as good or better bolts. 

I don't think metal fatigue can tell who is driving. Have you had the axles NDT'd? You didn't mention how long you've owned but say you always maintain. But what about the other owners since 1982?

The axle recall was issued in 1991 because there had already been failures. They all have an additional 26 years of use on them.

15823287_911097582833_2395801456165428297_n.jpg

Well, if someone has an axle for me to buy, I'd be glad to take it.  It seems I'm a little late to this party.

On 2017-04-26 at 8:40 AM, 82okanagan said:

Well, if someone has an axle for me to buy, I'd be glad to take it.  It seems I'm a little late to this party.

Jim, welcome to the forum. I know it seems like members are trying to beat you up, but that's not the case.

I started with a foolie axle just like yours. And like you I used it for awhile knowing the potential danger. One thing I tried to do was locate a replacement axle shaft in the event I ever did have a problem. I found out they're no longer made (even aftermarket). I still traveled around but the axle fact was always in the back of my mind. I finally changed the axle. My rig was small enough to go with single wheels. Being a GM truck guy, I installed a corporate 14 bolt, 10.5 ring gear ff axle. No danger of axle breaking now. ?

I made my tow comment knowing if you did have a problem, you won't be able to correct it roadside.

On 2017-04-26 at 3:23 PM, Derek up North said:

I think that worse than that, the chances are pretty high that your insurance company will probably declare it a write-off if the axle breaks and (likely) damage the coach.

even more likely however they will simply pay Blue Book on the "truck" which is most likely far below actual value :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2004-05-10 at 4:26 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

For a complete Axle Fact article written by HeyJames451 from the Yahoo Campers group click Axle_FAQ.pdf. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. The document will open in its own window.

Risking poking a 'hornets nest', I wish there was some way to modify the (in)famous 'Axle Facts'. The part that never ceases to 'give' is the part about the 'Unicorn' HD 5-lug axle that is supposedly 'safe' to use. When the Axle Facts first appeared in 2003, it seems nobody had actually managed to photograph one. As far as I know, in the intervening 14 years, it's been as elusive as a Yeti or Nessie (the Loch Ness Monster).

Here's the latest 'hopeful' sighting on FB (where the Axle Facts have spread to):-

" David Conley it looks to have the rare beefed up 5 lugger that was not recalled and is safe to operate. notice the ring of inner bolts. see axle faqs file in file section."

Attached is a zoom-in on the axle in question. It looks like a 'regular' 5-lug axle with a variation of 'foolies' to me. The rear 'ring of inner bolts' look to be the exact same BCD as the front 5-lug rims.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/rvs/6146305231.html

If anyone does manage to capture a Unicorn, please post a good photo and also the VIN so I can look up part numbers for associated bearings, axles ,seals, etc to see if they're different from a 'standard' 5-lugger.

Alt Foolies.jpg

00202_fHo0E8kBHL_1200x900.jpg

I wonder what they are looking at when they think it's different. I see only inside lugs attaching wheel to truck and outside lugs attaching extreme offset wheel to inside non offset wheel. Regular foolies to me.

Heyjames was just a guy like us who wrote a guide to help other Toyota Rv fans. That is the article that saved me from buying a 5 lug model and probably hundreds of others. The super 5 lug axle was a rumor then and no one has ever shown one to exist.

Tika who has had Toyota RV's longer than anyone I know of, her entire adult life, at one point thought there might be this mythical axle but later agreed that it probably didn't exist. She intended to ad an addendum to the axle fact on the toyota-campers site but I don't think she ever did.

Anyone up for a jackalope hunt. Get it? mythical, not real

Linda S

I did some reading of old Yahoo Group posts and it appears HeyJames wrote the oft quoted as Gospel 'Axle Facts' after 2 weeks (or less) of 'research' (reading old posts). Unfortunately, it's written on the internet, so it must be true! :(

May 14th, here's what he knew:- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/conversations/messages/12762

By May 21st, he's 'the' expert:- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/conversations/messages/13014

And by September he's Ralph Nader (along with Tika):- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/conversations/messages/17011

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Tika who has had Toyota RV's longer than anyone I know of, her entire adult life, at one point thought there might be this mythical axle but later agreed that it probably didn't exist. She intended to ad an addendum to the axle fact on the toyota-campers site but I don't think she ever did.

I wish she would, though it's probably too late to change anything. Once it's on the 'net, it's there forever!

" Extensive review, input and editing: Tika "

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/conversations/messages/17011

There is nothing stopping you or me from adding something to the axle facts section stating that in all our years we have never seen this mythical axle. There is no mention of it in any Toyota documents I have ever seen. Or more importantly any motorhome manufacturer claiming to have a better axle set up. I have seen 2 maybe 3 motorhomes over the years that had custom dually wheels made to fit the 5 lug axle. True duallys that would have the weight balanced over the bearings instead of off set with reversed duallys in the front also for 5 lugs with what must have been some kind of adapter beneath. Not an axle upgrade just better wheels

Linda S

Anyone willing to create a new axle facts? Seems like there is a bit more info that could be added such as photos of failed axles etc. Maybe expand into the process of locating and swapping to a full floater. I will make it a sticky! The original heyjames pdf version is locked and cannot be edited.. 

Well we do have proof it never existed. A different axle made by Toyota would have had parts available from Toyota and they don't exist. All axle parts from 1985 match the same part numbers from 1984.

Linda S

On 5/30/2017 at 0:13 PM, linda s said:

Well we do have proof it never existed. A different axle made by Toyota would have had parts available from Toyota and they don't exist. All axle parts from 1985 match the same part numbers from 1984.

Linda S

I have waited years as a member of this forum for this sort of sleuthing right here. I am now complete and can retire my account in peace..... good bye to all it was fun!

WAIT... I see a toy home with a potruding full floater and 5 lugs.... OMG... its incredible! dang it camera take a picture dang phone updates No no nOnONNOOOOOOOo ... it drove away.  Darn. oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I think that would be a good idea. People are still getting wrong information and thinking there's some miracle axle out there that they don't have to replace. I have done extensive searches of Toyota parts data bases and there would have been parts or some indication that it was made on Toyota manufacturers site and it just doesn't exist. Even Tika who helped write these first axle facts pages finally agreed but never made the changes on the toyota-campers site. Thank you

Linda S

That was just a 1st quickie mark-up, as much to figure out how to use my Pdf program (Foxit). I even did a slightly different v. 2a.

I'd appreciate it if others would suggest other corrections that could be added before making it 'Official'. Let's try and get it a 'right' as we can. :)

17 hours ago, Derek up North said:

That was just a 1st quickie mark-up, as much to figure out how to use my Pdf program (Foxit). I even did a slightly different v. 2a.

I'd appreciate it if others would suggest other corrections that could be added before making it 'Official'. Let's try and get it a 'right' as we can. :)

OK that is a great idea!

• 6 months later...

Hi guys 

Got a 21 ft sunrader with the death axle 5 bolt just put new tires on it. Driving across USA. In Florida right now . Got an axle on order from AutoZone. Need to  know if I can get a floater axle between here and Calafornia. The original axle has got 300 thousand on it. Bearing cutting into shaft. Sorry for the long story. I will also need a good shop to install it. Thanks for any help. Robert 

22 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Hi guys 

Got a 21 ft sunrader with the death axle 5 bolt just put new tires on it. Driving across USA. In Florida right now . Got an axle on order from AutoZone. Need to  know if I can get a floater axle between here and Calafornia. The original axle has got 300 thousand on it. Bearing cutting into shaft. Sorry for the long story. I will also need a good shop to install it. Thanks for any help. Robert 

Forget AutoZone, It's the wrong axle shaft. You have a GO82 axle (8"). They no longer make these axle shafts and nobody has them.

If you got 300K and bearing issues, your an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't drive another foot with your current axle. Try to find someone local to do an axle swap. Your looking at $2-4K for the work. If your close enough to home, have your rig TOWED there.

Thanks Fred I'll see what can be done. Derek seems to have found allot of them. Going to check  them out. Will get back to you guys and let you know what's happening.

Regards Robert Maddocks 

38 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Thanks Fred I'll see what can be done. Derek seems to have found allot of them. Going to check  them out. Will get back to you guys and let you know what's happening.

Regards Robert Maddocks 

If you find a yard for your axle, ask if they will install for you (if close enough to your location). This will save shipping charges and provide a source of supplemental parts if needed. Good luck.

HI guys found it and getting it delivered to new Port Richie $875 and if no problems $400 to $600 installed. Arrives Wednesday. I think there will be extras brakes bearing maybe. Tires are questionable.  Hope it bolts in. Let you know more when it gets here.

Regards Robert Maddocks