When I was still looking for a 1 ton axle someone called me with one from Montana and said something about being able to take the axle from a GM truck and install it on a Toyota motorhome. I don't have his phone number and sorry I can't tell you more about that.

Anyone with experience swapping any other axles into their small toy?? I'd love to beef mine up and maintain single wheels in the back.

Was thinking about a later model Ford or Tacoma as a possibility. I can't seem to find anyone attempting this. The hunt for a 6 lug dually up here could be troublesome and This has been fine on the 5 lug single wheel since 78'... just not wanting to push my luck after seeing the bearing go.

Thanks for your help if you've got some

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please help. I have a 87 Odyssey rear dual wheel all 6 studs broke off doing 70 mph on I-95.

The axle apppears to be the 'good one', but I am having trouble finding replacement studs.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE ?

my email mainequarter@comcast.net

thanks-

Here are part numbers. Then you can go to Toyota or order the much cheaper Dorman ones, just google it. These are for 1990 model. No change from 87 but for some reason Toyota has decided to forget they made a dual wheel before then

Toyota P.N. 9094202066
Dorman P.N. 610-339

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

thank you the part numbers were right on, but a new problem has come up !! The rear tires are "cupping " even though there is enough normal tread left. I do not know if this cupping has occurred before the studs broke off, or as a result of the studs and tire / rim flying off I-95 at 70 mph ! I did notice that the rear shocks are rusted badly.

1987 Odyssey MH

What are the best rear shocks for this motorhome? the existing ones were replaced in 2008, standard duty, less than 10,000 miles on them, but they rust badly in Maine

• 4 weeks later...

As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I work in a Toyota dealership in the Parts Department. I have 15 years of parts experience, and I just recently got my first Toyota RV. If any of you have parts related questions please feel free to PM me.

I thought it might be handy to have a reference picture of the rear axle breakdown for the RV's. I'm not seeing a 5 lug setup in my catalog, but here is the 6 lug breakdown:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/headchange4u/media/Toyota%20Camper/RearAxle.png.html'>RearAxle.png

The foillowing is a list or part numbers for the above diagram. Please note that this part number list IS NOT specific to the dual axle. To help with chosing the correct number here is a sort list of the abbrevations in the following parts list:

WT = Wide Tire = Dual Axle

ST = Single Tire

RNxxx = 4cyl 22R/RE

VZNxxx = V6

LNxxx = Deisel

xx6xx = 4x4

xx5xx = 4x2

xx7xx = 4x2 Dual Axle

For example: a RN75 WT is a 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, dual axle

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/headchange4u/media/Toyota%20Camper/PartsList2.png.html'>PartsList2.png

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/headchange4u/media/Toyota%20Camper/PartsList1.png.html'>PartsList1.png

Hope this helps.

Kool, My monitor is small and I can't read the fine print, how about a P/N for the left hand studs and nuts for the 86 Toyotas that had the 1 ton rear but 5 lug fronts from the factory?

Thanks very much for the valuable reference materials.

Since you have access to all the Toyota files, I wonder if you could comment on the 5 lug rear axle fitted to the 1980's Toyota 1-Ton SRW trucks. Is it beefed up compared to the standard 1/2-Ton 5 lug axle? I've been wondering if some MHs might have been built on this chassis before the switch in 1986 to the FF DRW axle. There are some who say there's no such thing as a HD 5 lug rear axle.

Another question. The 1988 FSM says to torque lug nuts to 141 ft.lb. 1993 FSM says 170ft.lb. I'm guessing (only) that the change occurred in 1989 with the major chassis change/V6 introduction. Same lugs/studs? ?

Another (and last for this post) question. Are the torque values listed in the FSM 'dry torques'? There's a measurable difference in clamping force between 'dry' and 'wet' torques. Perhaps you could find out what Toyota says in it's training manuals, if anything.

:)

Kool, My monitor is small and I can't read the fine print, how about a P/N for the left hand studs and nuts for the 86 Toyotas that had the 1 ton rear but 5 lug fronts from the factory?

They should enlarge if you click on them.

Rear Nuts: 90942-01004, RH. 90942-01009, LH.

Rear Studs: 90942-02056, RH. 90942-02057, LH.

Front Nuts: 90942-01027

Front Stud: 90942-02058

Thanks very much for the valuable reference materials.

Since you have access to all the Toyota files, I wonder if you could comment on the 5 lug rear axle fitted to the 1980's Toyota 1-Ton SRW trucks. Is it beefed up compared to the standard 1/2-Ton 5 lug axle? I've been wondering if some MHs might have been built on this chassis before the switch in 1986 to the FF DRW axle. There are some who say there's no such thing as a HD 5 lug rear axle.

Another question. The 1988 FSM says to torque lug nuts to 141 ft.lb. 1993 FSM says 170ft.lb. I'm guessing (only) that the change occurred in 1989 with the major chassis change/V6 introduction. Same lugs/studs? ?

Another (and last for this post) question. Are the torque values listed in the FSM 'dry torques'? There's a measurable difference in clamping force between 'dry' and 'wet' torques. Perhaps you could find out what Toyota says in it's training manuals, if anything.

:)

On your first question, to be honest I have no idea. We rarely see any trucks with the dual axle. We ocasionally see a Toyota MH, but most of the lifts in our shop can't pick them up, mainly due to height restrictions, and they go to those more familair with the MH setup. My parts catalog doesn't even list the 5 lug rear axles, only the 6.

Yes the change would have occured in '89 with the body style change. I show different part numbers between the 88 and 93, but I don't know the physical differences between the 2. Sometimes, with Toyota parts, a different manufacturer for the same part will result in 2 different part numbers. Honestly I sell the 90942-02049 stud for all trucks, even back to 84. It's my kinda generic truck wheel stud.

Torque values would all be dry torque specs. I've never seen wet torque specs on any Toyota. I spoke with one of our master techs and he said that his race car uses a special lube for wet torque, but the torque specs are the same.

They should enlarge if you click on them.

Rear Nuts: 90942-01004, RH. 90942-01009, LH.

Rear Studs: 90942-02056, RH. 90942-02057, LH.

Front Nuts: 90942-01027

Front Stud: 90942-02058

This is awesome info. Toyota parts department near me swore that the left hand nuts and studs were no longer available. I think I might just buy some just in case.

Linda S

This is awesome info. Toyota parts department near me swore that the left hand nuts and studs were no longer available. I think I might just buy some just in case.

Linda S

I did do a check with the inventory at my warehouse and it seems they are partially correct. The numbers are still good in my system, but the 90942-02056 is no longer available at any of the US parts warehouses. There is still some inventory left on the other part numbers. If you can't find them at your dealership shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do for you. We are set up to accept PayPal and I could ship those in a Priority Mail flat rate envelope.

EDIT:

I decided to snag a few to have on hand for my MH. I found that the 90942-02056 has superseded to 90942-02066

I did do a check with the inventory at my warehouse and it seems they are partially correct. The numbers are still good in my system, but the 90942-02056 is no longer available at any of the US parts warehouses. There is still some inventory left on the other part numbers. If you can't find them at your dealership shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do for you. We are set up to accept PayPal and I could ship those in a Priority Mail flat rate envelope.

EDIT:

I decided to snag a few to have on hand for my MH. I found that the 90942-02056 has superseded to 90942-02066

It's the left hand thread nuts and studs that are the problem. No way to replace them if there are none at Toyota or online somewhere. I was going to buy a couple just in case for my 86. That is the only year with left and studs and nuts

Linda S

It's the left hand thread nuts and studs that are the problem. No way to replace them if there are none at Toyota or online somewhere. I was going to buy a couple just in case for my 86. That is the only year with left and studs and nuts

Linda S

I ordered some today so I should be able to verify in the next couple of days if 90942-02066 are indeed correct for the LH. I'll post pics when I get them. Edited by headchange4u

Pics as promised:

Here is the 90942-02066, RH:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/headchange4u/media/Toyota%20Camper/9094202066.jpg.html'>9094202066.jpg

I was also able to cross the Toyota Part number into the aftermarket.

NAPA Part Number: NOE 6413219

CarQuest: Dorman 610-339

Here's the 90942-02057, LH:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/headchange4u/media/Toyota%20Camper/9094202057.jpg.html'>9094202057.jpg

For some reason this part number did not cross into the aftermarket.

Here's a side by side:

IMG_29301.jpg

Here is the 90942-02057:

Edited by headchange4u

I can't imagine how many of the 86 Toy MH are still out there, but you have become the official Toyota parts guy lifesaver of those who have one.

I hate to contradict our new expert but I'm afraid you've gotten it backwards. The darker bolt is the left hand one. Your first post of the part numbers says the one ending in 57 was the left hand bolt too. That's why you couldn't cross reference the numbers on that one. No other left hand bolts out there that size, just Toyota. Just get any bolt and compare to the pics. Threads slope opposite direction on that one

Linda S

I hate to contradict our new expert but I'm afraid you've gotten it backwards. The darker bolt is the left hand one. Your first post of the part numbers says the one ending in 57 was the left hand bolt too. That's why you couldn't cross reference the numbers on that one. No other left hand bolts out there that size, just Toyota. Just get any bolt and compare to the pics. Threads slope opposite direction on that one

Linda S

Oops. You are correct! Sorry about that. Guess my Dyslexia kicked in : ) I'll correct the pics.

At least you know that they are still available, at least for while. There are 64 left scattered throughout the various Toyota parts warehouses here in the US.

• 2 months later...

2nd toyota motorhome. I'm about to go look at an 81 17'6" sunrader. He told me on the phone it has a 5lug rear axle. Are there any 5 lug DRWs that might be safe or a better way maybe checking the rear differential to determine if it's a problem or not? The rear axle facts here state it's a problem for rvs over 18' and I am just under. Any help here is very much appreciated!!!!!

2nd toyota motorhome. I'm about to go look at an 81 17'6" sunrader. He told me on the phone it has a 5lug rear axle. Are there any 5 lug DRWs that might be safe or a better way maybe checking the rear differential to determine if it's a problem or not? The rear axle facts here state it's a problem for rvs over 18' and I am just under. Any help here is very much appreciated!!!!!

No a member here with the shorty had his axle break on the highway a while back. Best case scenario without axle swap is to run single rear wheels with no offset. Takes some of the strain off the bearings. The differential is not the problem, the wheel bearings are

Linda S

Can the wheel bearing be upgraded on the existing axle? I thought the main concern was having a non-floating rear axle, and that is what puts the stress on the bearings?

OK the design of the fake dually puts the weight of the vehicle off set from the bearing instead of balanced directly above it. I don't know how else to explain it. If John was online he could make a nice diagram for you. Maybe someone else can

Linda S

I have found no "heavy duty" bearings to replace the stock ones. Your best bet is to make sure your bearings are good, and not overload the RV more than necessary.

I had all my bearings replaced when I bought mine, just to be on the safe side.

sunrader5lug.jpg

This is what it has. Can anyone tell me if this is a problematic bearing/axle?? Thanks@!@!

YES

Look at the duallies. The outside one is a dually with an extreme off set. The inside one is a straight up wheel with no off set. AKA fake duallies. I have heard that some people have put more pressure on the inner tire to help balance the weight on the bearings but that's still no guarantee they won't fail.

Linda S

I'd look in the 'off-road' sector in a quest for better bearings. I think there might also be kits to convert the standard axle to FF. There are also HD axle shafts available.

Yes, the greater effective offset of foolies will load the bearings in a way they weren't designed for. Same way as VW Beetle way back in the '70s did when the cheap way to get a wider track was to reverse the standard wheel.

If you read the wording of the Axle Recall documents, the blame was placed on the bearings failing which then allowed the axles to bend. This would lead to a fatigue failure.

If I was going to use an 18' Sunrader (which were included in the recall despite Sunrader trying to wriggle out of it!), I'd install new bearings and have the axles inspected VERY carefully to make sure no cracks have started. After that, I'd inspect the axles and bearings way more often that you would in a typical vehicle.

Forget adding a frame extension to carry a bunch of stuff hanging past the bumper. Pack your heavy stuff forward of the rear axle as much as possible.

It's not about the length of the MH, it's the weight on the rear axle! :)

Thanks for your help. For everybody else reference this is a picture of a faulty problematic lug configuration. I found a replacement recall kit for 750 in michigan. Lets see if I can convince the seller to give me a price break with this knowledge instead of sending some unknowing family out in it instead...

To try and keep everything together, here's the Axle recall documentation for National, Coachmen, Shasta, Travelmaster and Leisure Odyssey. As far as I know, there were no other makes covered by the Recall because they were all out of business, as Sunrader did.

National Axle Recall RC-91V060-NN.PDF

Coachmen Axle Recall RC-91V059-NN.PDF

Odyssey Axle Recall RC-91V062-NN.pdf

Sunrader - RC-91V061-NN.pdf

The root cause of the problem was the foolies which placed the abnormal stresses on the bearings. If you've got single wheels with a standard offset, I don't see a problem. The concern with single rear wheels is the carrying capacity of the tires installed. 185R14 Load Range D tires are rated for 1875lb each when inflated to 65psi.