• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news, good 1 ton axle.

Not "bad" news but you probably have a 5 bolt front wheel. So take off the front hub cap and see what you got.

The problem is IF you have a flat. Your spare is most likely a 5 bolt, so the front axle is covered.

If the flat is in the back then, you have no spare. The normal drill is to remove the flat and drive to a repair shop.  You will have 3 tires in the back, they will be very close to their max rating (but under the limit) so drive slow. A small 12v compresser will let you inflate the single tire to max pressure. Several of us have had to limp over 100mi.

9 minutes ago, Della said:

Good to know, so if I understand correctly I would not be able to get a spare tire to keep to replace a back flat on my own? 

The 6 lug rims of that style are getting tough to find but they pop up here and there

Basic choices.

1. Do nothing and limp to repair $

2. Buy a spare 6 bolt rim and tire. $$ Where to keep 2 spare tires.

3. Buy a 5 bolt/6 bolt adapter and a 6 bolt spare. $$$ Flat in rear just bolt it on, flat in front bolt on the adapter then the 6 bolt spare tire.

4. Buy 2 adapters and 6 bolt spare, $$$$ Easy peasey tire change any axle.

FWIW I driven RVs for 24 years and about 95000 mi and had 3 flats. 1 spike and 2 tire failures

Edited by WME

Oops #4 was supposed to be 2 adapters and 3 6 bolt rims

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! Thank you for this wonderful resource. I'm reaching out for some help from everyones knowledge on the axle issues with Sunraders! Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1986 Toyota Sunrader with 60k miles, for 10k. I see it has the five lug nugs, but cannot tell if it's one that would be recalled/unsafe? I'll attach photos below. Thanks so much again!

-Victoria

1239371565_ScreenShot2020-05-25at10_08_51PM.png.4b245b44fcfeb4175e4feb4a2db6156a.png

sunraderfbmarket.jpg.9777a414889a4b99a1694fdc6f8b093e.jpg

All 5 bolt axles are BAD.

3 hours ago, VictoriaR :) said:

Hi everyone! Thank you for this wonderful resource. I'm reaching out for some help from everyones knowledge on the axle issues with Sunraders! Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1986 Toyota Sunrader with 60k miles, for 10k. I see it has the five lug nugs, but cannot tell if it's one that would be recalled/unsafe? I'll attach photos below. Thanks so much again!

-Victoria

1239371565_ScreenShot2020-05-25at10_08_51PM.png.4b245b44fcfeb4175e4feb4a2db6156a.png

sunraderfbmarket.jpg.9777a414889a4b99a1694fdc6f8b093e.jpg

Those are molded hubcaps. You need to remove one of the rears and count the wheel lug nuts behind it. If only 5 lug nuts the axle is unsafe and will need to be replaced.

Nice looking rig.

8 hours ago, VictoriaR :) said:

I see it has the five lug nuts, but cannot tell if it's one that would be recalled/unsafe?

If it has 5 lug nuts, it was included in the Recall. The 'improved' 5-lug axle "that wasn't Recalled" does not exist. It is a myth.

Thanks so much! I went today and the owner took off the hubcaps, there. are six-lugs! Wooohoooo. asking 10k, going to offer possibly 8k since the owner suggested he would accept a lower price. I'm a college student too so any savings are great. I'm looking to install solar.

1 hour ago, VictoriaR :) said:

100475898_554236215276278_532859936531546112_n.jpg.deafd858edc858b6705d81718b5b841b.jpg

Drove like a dream today, biggest thing I'd driven was a Chevy Astro Conversion 2000. Any advice on running the VIN? One website told me 1985 rather than the 1986 listed on the post for sale. Still, definitely has the 6 lug nuts.

Many coach manufacturers bought Toyota cab and chassis’s in bulk. It may show up as a 1985 (year of manufacture) or 1986 as model year. They didn’t assign a model year until the mh was actually produced. Nothing sketchy, just the way things work.

Hello, 

I recently got myself an 86 Mirage with a bathroom. It's an auto with the 22RE. I was taking the tires off to flush the brake fluid when on the driver side I broke two studs and their lug nuts right off. After doing my research which I wish I did before it looks like the threads are reversed. So now I need to order obviously the new left hand studs, left hand lug nuts and I am not sure what the backside nuts for the stud should be. I found the left hand studs, left hand lug nuts but I do not know if the backside nuts are also left handed or not or if they are "normal". 

Thanks, any help would be great on the back nuts for the studs. 

-Brody

At this point in time, just order a set of right hand thread, studs and bolts. They will work just fine, the 87 up Toys had right hand threads all the way around.

10 hours ago, WME said:

At this point in time, just order a set of right hand thread, studs and bolts. They will work just fine, the 87 up Toys had right hand threads all the way around.

Thats what I am thinking now too. Less confusion and less to have to remember in the future. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I recently bought a 1976 Scat Toyota with a 20R 5-speed. It has the foolies. I have located a 1988 Toyota FF dually axle. Can anyone here let me know if there will be compatability issues and, if so, what adapter parts would be necessary? Is there a better donor axle that I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Colin

You know all you have to do is remove the foolies and use a single wheel in the back. Your Scat is way too light to need a full float dually. The foolies caused the damage so just get rid of them. I do not believe your Scat even came with the foolies originally. Think someone added them before anyone knew they were such a problem. 

Linda S

Just bought a 1981 Toyota Mini-Cruiser, Mark 8 (I believe that’s the interior layout) - it’s 17’ and has dual back tires (and 94k on the odometer) - I’m not very savvy with this stuff, and we already purchased on Friday, but I’ve taken photos and included here. Hope this thread is still active and we didn’t just buy a huge problem. 

my wife and I just wanted something small to make small (2 hr or less) trips in Iowa where we live. 
2D5748DE-CE0F-4256-A92D-5F76AA81C659.jpeg.0053ca2f1e178143108bbeb4a874a9d2.jpeg

0BDB13AF-495E-480F-B014-A38F810B1DCB.jpeg

AD707D31-F2A9-408B-A2D9-D3F487DE67D9.jpeg

Edited by 81 MiniCruiser
Added additional photo

Yeah it's the bad one. Your tiny camper though would be fine with single wheels in the back. You can buy 4 new wheels and 4 new tires for about a thousand lees than an axle upgrade. Those axles are getting hard to find too. 

Slightly wider tires would give you extra load capacity to make up for only having one tire in the back.

https://simpletire.com/thunderer-205-r14c-th0309-tires?type=0

New 7 inch wheels would be a better fit and you could make them look awesome. 

https://www.ebay.com/b/Wheels/43953?_fsrp=0&Rim%20Diameter=14&Bolt%20Pattern=5x114%2E3&_sop=15&Rim%20Width=7&_sacat=43953&rt=nc&Offset=%2D2|0|1|3

Linda S

Are all 5 lugs bad?  A friend of mine has a 79 Toyota. He tore off the original camper and built a custom RV - looks more like a tiny home on wheels now. It has dual rear tires and 5 lugs. I had heard you can tell whether you have the bad axle if you have dual single rear tires. Not true I’m gathering?

No, just the ones with the fake dual wheels. In other countries where Toyota campers were built they always just had single wheels in the back. The foolies, fake duallys, can last for years sometimes but it doesn't mean an axle failure can't happen at any time. Your friend has just been lucky

Linda S

17 minutes ago, linda s said:

No, just the ones with the fake dual wheels. In other countries where Toyota campers were built they always just had single wheels in the back. The foolies, fake duallys, can last for years sometimes but it doesn't mean an axle failure can't happen at any time. Your friend has just been lucky

Linda S

What do the fake ones look like?  Any photos?