Kohler generator will not turn over

layladapug

Hi Everyone, I have a 92 Toyota spirit, getting ready for the summer, my generator will not turn over. it has been sitting for about 2 years. the rv starts no problem, lights all work though out, I have replaced both batteries. when I press the on button for the generator I get a click and nothing else. I have checked the oil and it seems fine, I can do that again to make sure. I have a 1/2 tank of gas. just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. thanks for your help!!

Steve

Sounds like a battery or connection issue since it's clicking. I've got a generac 30Amp generator in my odyssey. Can you take a battery around to the generator and jump connect it directly? If that works then you'll want to check all the connections for corrosion.

There is also the possibility of a rusty bore/stuck piston if it has not turned in 2 years.Do the electrical things first and see what happens. You might try smiting the starter while it's trying to crank also.

those kohlers are pretty crappy. Had one on my 92 itasca which ran ok. totaled that camper & got a 93 winnie warrior (which is the same thing) and the kohler through its rod -another guy gave me one but it was worn out - so little compression I could barely keep it running. Have a honda 2000 now

I would try the obvious - check electric connections - that genset starts off house battery.

It is a tecumseh 6gp vertical shaft engine - essentially a lawn mower engine. It is held in by 4 bolts after disconnecting the usual stuff. With the housing off you can turn the crankshaft by hand.

You might take the spark plug out (can be done without disassembling anything) - not having any compression might help at least for purpose of getting the engine to turn over to see if it is rusted/ frozen..