Types of anode rods.

Ok so my anode rod isn't dead yet I just drained and flushed my water heater tank like I do every year or so but I'm thinking about changing types. I have the magnesium one and was thinking of swapping to a zinc one I'm told it will be beter in my system and keep the water smelling beter longer. They say they will fit but they look very short compaired to my current one. I also thought about the aluminum one but not sure the benefits of that. Any thoughts or ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised someone has not answered your thread. I can't help you because my Attwood does not use anodes.

I guess a lot of it would depend on the minerals in your local water. Zinc works great in salt water!

I am surprised someone has not answered your thread. I can't help you because my Attwood does not use anodes.

Yeah they sell them it replaces the drain plug they don't come with the heater.

I just checked with Atwood Mobile Products and the service tech verified that due to the construction materials, Atwood Heaters do NOT use an anode rod. He stated that there are several companies that sell the anode rods for Atwood products but you are just throwing your money away.

I checked the manual that came with my new Atwood and the manual also states that the rod is not needed.

If your Atwood has an anode, it was not put there by Atwood.

Really the bottom line is the stuff in the bottom of the tank is what kills them all that left over yuck that does not drain out. I think the OP was more concerned with taste/odor then the tank.

I wish I had an atwood then lol but I have a suburban which uses a rod :( as it's not an aluminum tank like an atwood. Yeah the odor and taste get bad if I don't flush it every 3 months with peroxide. So that's why I'm trying to figure out which rod is best but no one can seem to tell me, (dealer suggested just replace the tank for about $400 but I didn't like that idea).