'86 Toyota Travelodge Sunseeker Bumper Weight Capacity?

I'd like to put a 3' receiver bumper hitch on my '86 to carry my lift and 4 wheel scooter. All together probably less than 400 lbs. Anyone have an idea if the bumper will hold it? Thanks for any info.

Bob

Edited by muskybob

I know from what I've read researching this in the past, most people say you should not haul off of the hitch, and some Toyota's even have a tag on the bumper warning to NOT haul with the hitch. On the other side of the spectrum, I have heard several people say that they have hitch hauled a motorcycle no problem. My Escaper has a hitch installed on it from factory that looks plenty strong and I would not be afraid to haul off of it. I actually planned on hauling a 300 pound motorcycle on a hitch like this.

RbHP5C3.jpg

Just remember how far back that hitch sits behind the rear axle and how hauling can effect the vehicle.

Thats a lot of weight 6 feet aft of the rear axle. Is it possible, maybe. you need to have your trailer hitch guy fabricate the hitch, support structure, frame, etc to support the 400 plus lbs of tongue weight. make sure your air bags are in good shape, but better yet, have the hitch guy add leafs to the springs.

You might consider a small trailer.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A small trailer would definitely do better than a hitch hauler. I considered it but did not want to have to haul a trailer.

for weight balance it would be better on the front end, but you would interfer with airflow on radiator & head lights.

the rear bumper is a problem too - most of these are overloaded to begin with, and adding that much weight at the very rear...

get under your rear end & take a good look at your frame - that is what has to carry the weight, I think you will be surprised at how flimsy the frame extensions are.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess I'll have to pay the buck to have a regular hitch installed. Much appreciated. BTW, I made a mistake and called it a Travelodge. My bad, should have been Travelmaster. Thanks again.

Bob