Hey everyone, I just picked up an 85 toyota dolphin, and am wondering if you can help me with this. I noticed the other day that there is just not enough power in this little 22re 4 cyl engine to make it up grades with speed. Even slight grades have this baby chugging. I am wondering if there are any engine mods that could beef it up, or if it would be better to drop a v6 into it. Any experienced help would be great.

If you want a V6 i would just buy another camper that has one already in it. As for the 4 cylinder they have a following & seem to do ok on flat lands & can do hills with patience - which is a necessary virtue with any toy camper.

Does your camper have the back axle mod?

hmmm i am a pretty patient person, planning on taking it to co this summer though, and am curious if it has the torque to do those mountains. Even with patience, i really question an 8% grade.

Back axle has been modified with the dual tires yes.

Over on the yotatech site there are a lot of hobbyists who post about boosting the 22RE. They add headers, remove the EGR, add turbo or superchargers, etc. Some swear by them but I'm not sure they really achieve much improvement.

I owned an 85 4Runnner for many years and the 22RE seemed like too little power for that vehicle, especially up in the Rockies.

The best power improvement for the 4Cylinder RV would be to drop the auto transmission and replace it with a 5-speed manual.

8% should be no problem, at 20-25 mph in first gear. :-)

I passed over the I-70 Eisenhower tunnel right at 12,000 ft. did the climb in 1st and 2nd along with the trucks.

Might want to check valve clearance, mine were off (80,000 and probably never been adjusted). This also effected the idle.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

More power?, go faster no problem....How fast is your wallet?

The 22RE likes to wind up they are tough engines how ever in a drag race your competition is going to be a loaded log truck. A typical turbo set may yield a 30% increase in power so the question is how much do you want to spend for 40 more HP?

The three bigest things in boosting the power in my 82 were

1 spark plugs changed,

2 Fuel filter changed

3. the bigest improvement was when I switched to a K&N filter for the intake.

A webber would also give you more power but it's expensive and can make it illegal in some states.

The three bigest things in boosting the power in my 82 were

1 spark plugs changed,

2 Fuel filter changed

3. the bigest improvement was when I switched to a K&N filter for the intake.

A webber would also give you more power but it's expensive and can make it illegal in some states.

Yes a Weber is a great improvement over the stock carb but in the case of a fuel injected 22RE engine it would be a quantum leap backwards.

Yeah your truck should be able to do those grades. You don't (necessarily) need engine improvements, you just need your engine running how it's supposed to.

Tune up.

Plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor, air filter, timing, valve adjustment.

Make sure the brakes aren't dragging at all, wheel bearings are good, no restrictions in the exhuast.

Yeah, the people at Yotatech do all sorts of things (and spend all sorts of money), to get a couple horsepower...and the wisest of them seem to come into any thread from a newer person asking this kind of question saying "get a V6". Meaning you can throw all sorts of money and maybe notice a slight gain. There are some people for whom a 22R/RE is just not enough. It's an unbelievable engine, but it's not going to fly up hills at 70mph.

If you really want power get a more powerful engine. But the 4 cylinder should have no problem on slight inclines, and climb anything you put in front of it in 3rd gear (maybe 2nd on the very steepest part of the very steepest passes). I'd say you need a tune up. Or your compression is not what it should be....

What's the mileage on the engine? What are your compression numbers?

8% should be no problem, at 20-25 mph in first gear. :-)

there is your answer right there. 1st gear and let'er rev. the 22RE will spin at redline all day long and like it. i have pulled tioga pass, going into yosemite from the east in a 21 ft sunrader with 4 people aboard. long and steep. it pulled it like nothing in first. temp gauge never budged. do not bother trying to hold second gear, it is too high.

just use turnouts and wave back....with all available fingers, despite what everyone else does.

I'm having trouble picturing how 8% compares to the mountain passes around here...

Not a fair comparison, but my Chinook with the 20R went up every pass between Seattle and Montana in nothing lower than 3rd gear, and most of them in 4th.

It really depends on what shape your engine is in.

But I've had 6 Toyota trucks, only one of them a V6, and they never, ever couldn't make it up a hill due to power loss. With a manual transmission anyways, and stock gears in the axles, they can make it up any hill. The only limiting factor I've ever run into has been traction on a ridiculously steep dirt road. The engine was fine, I just lost traction on the wheels (and was probably lucky not to roll end over end...).

But with an engine bogging down due to restrictions in the exhaust, incorrect timing, clogged air or fuel filter, bad plugs or wires...there are no guarantees.

I've driven 22R and REs long enough to know if they're working up to their potential, so I can usually tell the difference between when I just know I'm going to be going slow due to weight and steep hills, and when something obviously isn't performing right. They aren't powerful, but they can do it.

If your engine is working right, and you want a little more power, people claim all sorts of things help. What seems to be the cheapest, and probably most bang for your buck (if you do it right...it can also cost a lot if you let it) would be to get a bigger exhaust (I think 2 1/2 inches is what people go with. Whatever came stock on 90's V6 4Runners and trucks), a header, and maybe an intake upgrade like a K&N.

If you go with a junkyard exhaust, find a used header, and shop around for deals on the intake, it might not cost much.

But the best thing for a 22R/RE, without spending thousands chasing down a few extra horsepower (people really do that!), is to keep it running well. If a well running 22RE isn't doing it for you, it's honestly probably more cost effective to put in a bigger engine than to try to hot rod the RE.

Yes but when it's time to camp and relax and spread out in our RVs, that's when you'll be laughing at me! I'll zip by you up the pass and get better mileage doing it, but then when the day is done, I'm camping in a 17' rv with no bathroom and hardly room to stand up :)