My mechanic burned my RV to the ground today

gr8white

A few comments. I don't know what state this happened in (the fire). Here in NY -small claims court is usually a "last ditch effort" and often a waste of time. Same for Michigan. I've got experience with both states. You (the person making the claim) pays a filing fee and the court case is held where ever the guy that owes you money lives. NOT where you live. If the judge finds in your favor - you get a slip of paper saying you are owed X amount that cannot exceed $5000. NOTHING is done to collect the money. It is up to you. If the person refuses - you can call the county sheriff, pay a collection fee - and then see what happens. You are also supposed to do your own research to discover what assets the person might have and give that info the the sheriff. I know of several people that never got anything after a small claims court found in their favor. Maybe it works better in some other states.

About insurance. Here in NY many certified repair shop owners have insurance that only covers them when repairs are done inside the confines of the shop and not outside. All depends. This might have something to do with the "mixed stories" about where the fire started.

Dealing with the state. NY has a motor-vehicle bureau supposedly in existence to protect consumers from repair shops when things go wrong. From my personal experience - totally useless!. I even caught a repair shop stealing parts off of my Ford diesel truck and got nowhere. I caught then in the act! The NY MV Fraud department told me they were powerless when it comes to enforcement. Yet - they give these shops licenses. I fail to see why they cannot pull a license to force a shop owner to do as requested. In my case - the NY MV department suggested I try to "work something out" on my own.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quite correct, a judgement is not a check; however a judges orders can be paid via garnishment; that is if the party to pay the restitution has declared income. In my experience most shop owners and self employed folks tend to operate net 0; or at a loss each year and keep Obamas IRS guys quite busy.

check your 12, i said "near" not will get 18.. I say that because of the spread of reported 7.3 MPGs on websites where owners can report their mileage. Not sure why you hate ford diesel so much; but the fact remains a well tuned powerstroke 7.3 can get Near 18-19. I would call 15-16 near it; and why the heck not; every v6 toy home owner in here does the same thing only they cannot break 65 mph. :) personally i would also prefer a 12 Valve cummins in a caper too; but i am speaking on practicality of getting one drive ready for cheap.

I hate diesels??? I own four diesel trucks, three diesel cars, one diesel RV, four diesel bullozers, two diesel backhoes and five diesel farm tractors. Not exactly what I'd call "hating" diesels. I AM a little unhappy with the huge price difference between gas and diesel fuel. Diesel fuel is cheaper to produce then gasoline and ought to be priced the same as regular gas and not 10-20 % more. I hate the BS, not the compression-ignition engines.

I've been hearing wild diesel BS stories since the first full-size diesel truck was sold in the US (1978 Dodge with a Misubishi six). When Ford introduced their effort with the IH 6.9 - I was hearing many claims of 25-26 MPG in 3/4 ton pickups. The true mileage for those reworked school-bus gas engines was 12-14 with an auto trans (C6) and 15 MPG-16 MPG with a manual. A few years later the 6.9 was bored to a 7.3, and in 1994 a turbo was added. In mid 94 - direct injection was added along with the Power Stroke title. Power was increased and fuel mileage never much better. Bear in mind that a diesel was never offered in any Ford except HD vehicles. So you can't find a 1/2 ton or a standard 3/4 ton for figures. Only HD 3/4 tons or heavier. A late 90s truck with single rear tires, 4.10 gearing, overdrive, and if auto - a lock-up converter can get 16-19 MPG depending on altitude if driven empty at 65 MPH.

My 1992 Dodge extended cab, 4WD, 3.50 axles and Getrag five-speed manual with a intercooled turbo Cummins 5.9 gets 20 MPG empty at 65 MPH at an altitude of 1800 feet. At sea level it can get 21 MPG. Just took it to Kentucky and back with a pop-up roof slide-on camper and got 16.6 MPG for the entire trip.

My 1994 Ford extended cab, 4WD, 4.10 axles and E40D auto trans with OD and lockup, with a turbo 7.3 gets 16 MPG empty at 65 MPH here in NY at 1800 feet. In Michigan at a 600 foot altitude it has gotten all time high of 17.5 MPG at 65 MPH on flat roads. 15.5 MPG with a high-roof slide-on camper.

I consider web claims of fuel mileage no more credible then the ones spread by mouth. Some true and many false. Same goes for the many claiming their 21 foot Toyota RVs get 21 MPG when they actually get 14-16 MPG with real world driving.

Well in Michigan, i just drove by rosemaries shell this AM today; this can be verified by calling them in Marshall Mi, Regular Unleaded is $4.14... Diesel... $3.99. Not the norm but I have been laughing every time I go to the pump in my 1998 OM606 Mercedes. and it does regularly get 35-37 MPG. when I said hating; its a detroit slang for hating on; aka not a fan of.

I know full well you own diesels and are a diesel Mech. On point, I maintain that a diesel Class A or Class C will outperform a gasser in fuel costs.(other than a toyota)

Well in Michigan, i just drove by rosemaries shell this AM today; this can be verified by calling them in Marshall Mi, Regular Unleaded is $4.14... Diesel... $3.99. Not the norm but I have been laughing every time I go to the pump in my 1998 OM606 Mercedes. and it does regularly get 35-37 MPG. when I said hating; its a detroit slang for hating on; aka not a fan of.

I know full well you own diesels and are a diesel Mech. On point, I maintain that a diesel Class A or Class C will outperform a gasser in fuel costs.(other than a toyota)

Any diesel ought to out perform a gas engine by 20-30% with fuel mileage when in the same vehicle with the same use. A diesel also has to be 15-20% bigger than a gas engine to make the same power. It takes a 2.4 liter diesel to make the power of a 1.8 or 2 liter gas engine. When the GM 6.2 liter came out -it was introduced to make the same power as a 5 liter gas engine (305). And yes - you can stick a turbo on a diesel to make it more powerful, but same can be said with a gas engine. So diesels weigh more to make equal power. When diesel fuel is 15% higher then regular gasoline and the diesel costs more to maintain - the potential savings can vanish pretty fast. I started driving diesels in the late 60s when diesel was cheaper then regular gasoline. It stayed that way until the "ultra-low sulfur" diesel became the norm a few years ago. Here in NY - even conventional heating oil was phased out last year which was a great fuel for off road diesels. Not it's all low-sulfur.

We're still using our "low-tech" diesel 91 and 92 VW Jettas. German converted gas engines with no turbos. Average fuel mileage is 45 MPG but I've gotten 50 MPG on a few long trips. For 200 miles that's 4.4 gallons that costs $18.66. My daughter's 2002 Toyota Echo has more "get up an go" and she's been getting 38 MPG. That's 5.2 gallons of gas at a cost of $18.98 for fuel. Basically just as cheap to run as our diesel VWs.

I live in Michigan every summer and some falls. Sometimes in Alpena - diesel and regular gas are the same price and once in awhile, diesel is cheaper as it should be. Much better deal then here in NY. Where I live in central NY - diesel is always around 50 cents more per gallon then regular gas.

The 7.3 Powerstroke has never been known for great fuel mileage. Few V8 diesels are. Reliability, yes. The same engine is sold as the T444E and used in International medium-dudy trucks. Ford dropped all the International engines and now makes their own diesel.

A few years ago - Motor Trend (or maybe Car and Driver?) ran a fuel mileage contest between the "big three" diesel pickups. The tests included pulling a heavy trailer and empty. All dual wheel 1 ton pickups. The Duramax with the Japanese diesel won at 16.5 MPG as I recall (highway and empty). Ford took second and Dodge-Cummins scored the worst. Seems Cummins has gone down-hlll with the newer and bigger engines. I still feel the 5.9s were the best.

I have a Chevy K5 Blazer-Hallmark diesel RV. When it was powered with a 350 gas engine and had no OD, it got 10-11 MPG on a long highway trip. With the 6.2 liter (379 c.i. ) turbo diesel and OD it gets 16.5 MPG. If it had a four-cylinder 3.9 liter Cummins it would get 20-22 MPG (wish I had one to install).

I'll note that diesels are harder to check fuel mileage with then gas engines. Accurate figures need to be averaged over many trips. That is because diesel fuel foams a lot and some tanks are hard to get truly full - depending on the pump being used. One bad fill will result in a very HIGH MPG test (and the next cycle will be very low). Often people post their one time "highs" on line.

Last I checked the highest verified MPGs for an RV are the ones based on the German Sprinter or Mercedes diesels. Somewhere around 20-21 MPG. The 8500 lb. Roadtreks with the 3 liter Mercedes V6 diesels seem to hold the record at 21 under independent testing at 65 MPH.

I don't have a 1-ton dulley, but I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab pickup with a 6.5 foot bed and a 4.8L gas engine

with a 4-speed auto transmission. Crusing at highway speeds (70mph), 5 passengers and about 800lbs of gear in the back, I get

24mpg but that is with 100% gasoline. If I use the 10% corn mix I get 21mpg.

Dennis...

thats amazing; my brother in laws 2006 silverado only gets 12-14 MPG (gas). I wonder what they did to go downhill.

I know the new Dodge RAM 1500 gas trucks get 25 MPG per EPA. Now THAT is improved engine performance; but generally I agree with JDE the sweetspot for most diesels seems to be 1998-2003; which is essentially the prior years with a turbo.

OP solicited to the group of what we thought about alternative replacement RVs, yikes; I'm out of here... REALLY?

motors in the trucks and vans are the same...

Off topic. Please don't distract from the very serious original issue. If you want to discuss this start a new thread.

Linda S

Let me see if I've got this right. The guy that started this thread lost his Toyota RV in a fire. Since he had a Toyota, I see a strong chance he cares about fuel usage.

Then he mentions he's looking for another RV.

Then you post -mentioning a Trek diesel that gets 15 MPG.

ALL that is OK, but when we "others" discuss diesel and gas fuel mileage in trucks and RVs - we are somehow "off topic." Come on!

I suspect many on this forum are smart enough to read through several "sub-themes" on the same general subject and not get lost.

LOL well at least I got a cool pic out of the situation for my avatar. In the end I dont think I will get the money anytime soon. The insurance is definately not going to pay and he is going to want a payment plan I think. Although he does have the money I think. If I take him to court and get a judgement it may take years to pay. Im not in a good situation.

depending on statute of limitations for civil suits, you could try to formulate a written agreement - if he signs that , you should have a lot less trouble getting a judgement against him later if he does not cough up the cash.

if he is willing to sign I would talk to an attorney first - make sure the agreement covers all the bases...

• 4 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

So I have not filed yet. I told him I would give him time and it got me nowhere. He is still saying how he is going to sue his insurance agent for not giving him the minimum state coverage. He ticked me off today and I told him I am going to "Nail His Balls to the Wall". I know I shouldnt have said that. I later apoligized. I decided to go file with the magistrate on Mon. I spoke with 2 attorneys today. One will represent me at the magistrate for 500.00. But they both pretty much said that I can represent myself. They both say that I need an official appraisal on the RV and comps wont cut it. But they didnt tell me how to get that done. Does anyone know how I can do this? Also, he may get in alot of trouble for not being insured. He broke the law even though he didnt know. Ignorance is no excuse in the courts eyes. The attorneys tell me he can appeal when I win at the magistrate and take it to the next level. At the point I would have to get an attorney. It could drag on for a long time and I will get no money. It sucks because I'm not in a position to buy another RV. In other words, my RV life will be put on hold for some time. If anyone can help me with these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. I doubt a judge will take ads off craigslist. I have to support the amount I am suing him for before i file. Thanks!

This website is supposed to tell me the value of my RV. http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/Manufacturers. I went into a dealership today and they went here and showed me. They said my 86 Toyota Dolphin was made by International. They pulled it up at this site but was only worth 2500. He said I needed to do the add ons and the value would come up. Any idea on this?

My first call in this situation would be to talk to the mechanic and see what he says.

He will probably offer to make full restitution.

If he does not then let him know your next phone call will be to the State Attorney General's office for protection of consumer fraud. But don't start off with it, give the guy a chance to make good and let him know it has to be within a couple of days without making any threats. You don't need to worry because the public in this kind of situation has a right to the free services of most powerful attorney in the state!

As part of the requirements of having a legal business in your state he was required to have insurance or to have posted a financial repsonsibility bond to perform the work he did on your motorhome. The attorney general's office will take immedicate action by calling him to go over your situation. They will make it clear to him that if he wants to stay in business in that state he will have to make full and immediate restitution to you.

If you take that route before you hire a private attorney you won't be needing a lawyer or have to pay a retainer to one.

Any sane business man will pee in his boots when he gets a phone call from the Attorney General's office. If he does not have the funds to pay you back he will scramble to find them ASAP. It is not as if you don't have proof of your loss and his incompetence from the local fire department.

Hi Karin. This is the route I am taking. Although this happened over a month ago I am going to the AG on Monday to file. I feel you are right and they will handle this for me. At least I hope so. I will keep you updated. It looks like an attorney after your post about the AG said it wont work. I believe that in Pa it will. The current AG ran part of her campaign on getting tough on mechanics. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Karin. This is the route I am taking. Although this happened over a month ago I am going to the AG on Monday to file. I feel you are right and they will handle this for me. At least I hope so. I will keep you updated. It looks like an attorney after your post about the AG said it wont work. I believe that in Pa it will. The current AG ran part of her campaign on getting tough on mechanics. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for your help!

For an appraiser to evaluate your camper it had to be preserved and they needed to look at it immediately after the fire. You can explain this in court and provide your comps. His insurance company prevented you from getting an accurate appraisel because you had every reason to believe your mechanic was properly insured. Nada is the site dealers use to evaluate trade ins so it is historically very low. Your insurance company should have access to the kelly blue book for RV's. That is a far more accurate figure and can be brought to court to prove value. it is not available to the general public. Must be bought at a cost of 145 dollars a year.

Linda S

Here is a link to the correct procedures to take when your RV burns. Way too late for you to take advantage of. Your mechanics insurance company would have been aware of these procedures and is guilty of denying you the proper treatment of your loss. Print this too. Show the court how they delibrately tried to undermine your case. Shows malice

http://www.rvappraisals.com/firevictims/rv.htm

I just dropped one vehicle from my insurance (sold my 83 4x4), and because of that (and this story), I'm considering bumping up my RV coverage a bit. I just have liability.

I had my Chinook into a shop, since I could NOT get the rear differential drain bolt off no matter what I tried. I hate being a smarty pants who tells the mechanic how to do their job...but I did have to tell them to please be very careful if they ended up having to weld a nut onto the plug to get it off...lots of rotten wood and stuff right above where you're working so please be aware!

I'm going to take this as a lesson and figure out what I need to do to get an accurate estimate of what my Chinook is worth. I've put a couple thousand dollars into since buying it, so I'd hate all that to go to waste.

Good luck with this!

Insurance is a "toss of the dice." I've never had replacement or repair coverage on any motor vehicle I've owned for over 40 years. I also own three houses and have liability insurance only on two. Fire-liability on the other. I figured I've saved a lot more on insurance premiums I didn't pay over the years then I ever would of gotten back out of them.

If I had a $60,000 pickup truck or a $40,000 RV I might feel differently. That is never going to happen.

We did ask once about replacement insurance at our main house since it's full of antiques and personal items. It required that each item be documented and verified for value and the overall price would of been crazy. I also have two repair shops full of machine tools, welding equipment, etc. Same problem with getting insured.

Our mindset is ("our" being my wife and I) . . . is that if we cause the destruction of our own property -we'll live with the loss. If someone else causes it -it's likely we can make them pay for it. Obviously this is not working for this person's burnt up RV.

I agree with jdemaris and would add, insurance is in the business of counting on its customers to not be able to supply the burden of proof of a loss, or face fighting them in court to get a denied claim paid; It sort of like a mail in rebate program at Menards; they know full well 55% or more of all sales with rebate will lose the rebate form, and of the 45% that do not only 10% will send the rebate registered mail; after that they are free to deny rebates ever were even received at all. Insurance is a result of progressivism and fascism. The left wants the poor that suffer injuries to be compensated and the right wants the creditors compensated. The only time it makes sense to have insurance is if you do not own that which you are insuring; which is an irony as its usually a mandate in that case anyway. Insurance will always pay a claim owed to a creditor because they know the adversary is just as strong in court if not more so.

How purely comical it is that we are now required to "purchase insurance" on our selves... For those that are not sleeping it is that requirement that exposes that you truly do not own yourself and are NOT free; the creditors and the poor own us now....

I have never had to go through any crap to get my insurance to pay. Not when the tree branch went through my roof or my kitchen was gutted by fire. And thank god for the health insurance cause that fire put my 15 year old in intensive care for 8 days. Do you even know where insurance started? Ships. Investors gambled on expensive trips to the new world, here, to find goods. Many of those ships didn't come back and with the advent of insurance they could guarantee their investment. No liberals but the investors who were in many ways responsible for the expansion of the world economy. Capitalism at it's highest and with that progress and invention. As for liability if you choose not to buy it and live in the boonies fine, but if like I do live in the city and the next house is 20ft away you had better have it cause if your house goes up in flames and it catches on mine your going to pay. And if you drive that car and hit me I want my car fixed dammit. If you have any doubts about what happens when people don't have the proper insurance look at gr8white's issue. His mechanic didn't buy the proper insurance and his life has been turned upside down because of it. Insurance is a good thing.

I have had claims paid by my health insurance; don't get me wrong; but there is always resistance of some kind and not everyone carries it even though they are "mandated" to by law. Just because you have insurance doesn't mean that they will cover what the other guy does to you to opposite of your point. I can remember my sister being T-boned in my grandmothers car by some folks that were driving without insurance; too poor to afford it. They didn't have a license either. Somehow my grandmother's insurance refused to pay the claim because of this. The accident was in Ithaca NY. It was in 1993. I can also remember being car jacked in Detroit and physically extracted by force from my vehicle. My insurance, State Farm; dropped me from coverage because of it and wanted me to sign waivers on the liability. So to clarify my position I feel insurance has lost its purpose; it fails to cover what matters to the purchaser and is self serving to its own needs and requires tort to gain performance more and more frequently, and YES just ASK Great white. I personally feel it has no proper place in health care at all; that that care should be employer provided or single payer or both. At the risk of being chastised by folks for hijacking or ranting I yield now.

I'm not going to say insurance is "good" or "bad." The words have no agreed upon meaning. Michigan has the highest auto insurance rates in the USA because because the government mandates medical liability insurance with no cap. The only one of the 50 states that does that. With my personal meaning for the word "bad", that is "bad." To the converse, I like the idea that liability auto insurance in mandated by law in most if not all states - even though enforcement is not perfect.

If you are a person pretending to buy a house or car by signing your name to a secured loan agreement -then you are forced to provide insurance the covers the interest of the true owner. In that case -it's not good or bad. Just a requirement when you take possession of something when you don't really own it.

Health insurance has been a good thing in my opinion since I've gotten more out of it then I ever put in. Of course that changes when one gets older (for most). Now with Obummer-care kicking in, insurance rates are skyrocking and coverage is getting worse. Not so good anymore.

In regard to this burnt up motorhome incident - in NY it could not of happened legally. I don't know what the laws are in the state where it happened. NY requires a shop owner to be licensed by the state and carry X amount of liability/damage insurance. Of course, not all follow the rules. And to be fair - all these regulations just add to the labor rate shops charge - so we wind up paying extra one way or the other. I still repair farm equipment at my shop and have no State license (not required for off-road stuff). I do have special insurance converage in case I destroy an $80,000 farm tractor or log skidder. I'd be nuts not to have it.

. Do you even know where insurance started? Ships. Investors gambled on expensive trips to the new world, here, to find goods. Many of those ships didn't come back and with the advent of insurance they could guarantee their investment.

I'm not going to claim to know anything for sure - that happened maybe 5000 years ago? But if we are to go by the older written records including inscribed tablets from Babyonia, there was formal loss, travel, and debtor insurance -backed by the king - in 2000 BC. That was King Hammurabi's Code. That was for land-travel caravans and such. The concept of insurance certainly did not start with old worlders travelling to the New World - to tell the already established inhabitants that their land was just being discovered. Maybe the natives needed insurance against "Manifest Destiny."

I would not be surprised if the neanderthals of 40,000 years ago had some crude sort of insurance. But since they did not leave behind any books or records - I guess we'll never know. We do know now that they were a lot more intelligent then we first thought (we being people who study this sort of thing). I guess if one cave dweller told another he could borrow his rock, but he'd keep one of his wives until he returned it - it would be a crude form of insurance. It's human nature.

this sad unfortunate event serves as a warning to all of us and a learning lession the hard way. to those who can aford to pay for others mistakes or things out of there control maybe they dont need fire ins . But i and others on here need it because we are in the same situation as G R is we can not aford to replace everthing on our own. my retirment funds like many others were stolen in flim flam stock investments made by my employer . when they closed up i recieved enough to by my dolphon . on social securty i certanly would not be able to buy another out of pocket so i have to be very careful

Like most of everything in life- insurance is a gamble and a two-edged sword. So is not having insurance. Insurance has saved some people. It has also enabled many people to assume risk and not worry about loss, instead of using some common sense. That costs everyone else money. Same goes for huge law suit settlements that as consumers, we all pay for. Many law suits would never happen if insurance wasn't around to pay huge setttlements.

I had to recently fight my homeowners insurance company NOT to pay a claim. I was plowing a corn field and hit a Verizon underground cable. Verizon threatened to sue me unless I paid them $7000. I told them flat-out "no." They then contacted my insurance agent and my company offered to pay Verizon. I was furious. I had to fight them to NOT pay and prove to them I was NOT legally liable. It was amazing how Verizon tried to bully me and my wife and hammer us with erroneous facts in regard to the "right to dig" laws. Finally an insurance adjuster came to my house and I read him excerpts of New York law that show I am not liable for hitting any of Verizons cables when they are unmarked, only 12" deep, on my land, and when I'm using farm equipment. If they had paid, it would of likely resulted in my rates going up or being dropped.

By the way - I also live on SS for the most part and my wife has zero income since she's chosen to home school our youngest kid. I supplement our income by repairing equipment and buying/selling foreclosed homes (cheap ones). Insurance is probably our biggest living expense. More then food and more then property taxes. My health insurance coverage is pretty poor as is my wifes and we both pay out of pocket. My wife just got notice in the mail yesterday that her medical insurance (MVP) is being cancelled due to Obummer-care, i.e. the "affordable care act."

I don't see any lessons to be learned by the burnt RV incident except try to cover yourself. There is no 100% way to do it all the time.

I got ripped off a few years ago after letting a New York "big name" registered motor vehicle repair shop look at my Ford truck. I only did so since it was under a so-called warranty. Since it's a well established company with a New York State license - I assumed I was protected by our "big brother" state. NOPE. I was wrong. I caught the guy red-handed stealing parts from my truck, doing unauthorized and un-needed work.. I fought this for two years with the so-called help of the New York motor vehicle consumer fraud devision. What a bunch of bozos! Some of their so-called "experts" did not know a rachet wrench from a sledge hammer and my taxes pay these guys. I finally prevailed but only because I was stubborn and did all the work. The State experts were as useful as t*ts on a bull. I only mention this since I thought for sure this sort of thing could not happen - until it did. I assume the guy with the burnt RV felt the same.

I hope for your sake he has either insurance or some money aside for this sort of problem or it is going to be a long road. If he has no money you maybe awhile getting this rectified attorney or not.

Thanks for all the replys and help! I filed with the attorney general on Monday. They said to give them a few weeks to see what they can do before I file a lawsuit. The mechanic has tons of land and liquid assets. He claims he has no hard cash but everyone in the town where this happened knows otherwise. It is going to be a long road. I agree. The part that hurts is I just got done renovating my RV and was going to put full coverage on it within 2 weeks after this happened at the most. It sucks.

Also a special thanks to Linda for sending me all of the comps and solid advice with data to back it up. She has been a great help with this process and I want her to know that I appreciate that. Thanks again Linda!

Also a special thanks to Linda for sending me all of the comps and solid advice with data to back it up. She has been a great help with this process and I want her to know that I appreciate that. Thanks again Linda!

You are welcome. I will be praying this all works out the best for you.

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to give everyone an update on my RV. I got the state attorney general involved and they gave him 21 days to respond. he called back and said that he needed another week because his attorney had a family emergency. That week went by which leads me to this week. Now he sent a certified letter to myself and the attorney general saying he is going after his insurance company and he gave them until the end of this month (Aug) to respond or he is suing them. He is actually suing his agent he said because he was sold a skeleton policy. Most people I talk to agree with him that his agent ripped him off The attorney general said this could take a year and they are going to tell him that he needs to pay me and that the insurance isnt my issue. The mechanic said to me that the PA Attorney General only has the power to mediate because he has been through it before. I told the AG this and they basically agreed but said they were going to push him. My RV was burnt down on 5/24 and I am still not close to a resolution. Thanks!

Did the mechanic say that he had been through this before by email or in a letter so you have proof he said it. That right there proves he knew he bought a skeleton policy to save money cause he's caused damage to someone elses vehicle. Ask the AG if there is any way you can get his licsence pulled or something like that. Of course you could always hire an attorney and sue him directly. If he really owns as much as it sounds like most attorneys wouldn't have a problem taking the case. Do you still live in property he owns? Are you still paying rent there

Linda

Hi Linda I am still living and paying rent n his property. I cant leave until this is over and when it is I am going to Texas. He told me about the AG verbally. I told them what he said and they said that they are going to look into his past infractions. This is the only way they can pursue legal action. If they find a history of this with him which I think they will. I could hire an attorney yes. But then it could take years with a simple judgement. I need my money to buy a new RV. I dont want to wait. Im hoping the attorney general will do something. Im also hoping that I can get loss of use when its done.