So when I bought my 1987 Escaper, the previous owner decided he did not like the two captain chairs in the coach and for some reason hacked them out, leaving a not so attractive base.

This is how it looked when I bought it. Notice the missing chair mount located in the bottom left of the photo.

uUrj4nq.jpg

Where better to start than ripping the entire floor out?

BJzNPgb.jpg

9BbRyST.jpg

One of the previous owners had done floor work before. They laid a sheet of 1/2" plywood over the existing floor and then put their vinyl floor on top of that. I removed the 1/2" plywood and was glad to see the entire floor underneath that was still in good shape, no rot or anything. Wanting to achieve as much head room as possible (I'm about 6'2"), I kept the original floor in for strength, and put down a new sheet of 3/8" plywood. Not only did I fill in the spots of the missing chairs, but I gained some headroom for myself. It's nice not hitting my head on the ac unit now!

We put down the sheet of plywood, screwed it down mighty well, sanded down the screw heads and the floor to make it as smooth as possible, and caulked all the screw holes.

M0rRemt.jpg

xKfKi1J.jpg

rkwG7sc.jpg

This was also a good opportunity to remove all remainders of the ugly original carpet that were stuck in a few hidden places.

Next we decided to rebuild the entrance step with some fresh wood and gave it a more open design since the older one had limited foot space with the way it was designed (sorry, forgot to take a pic of the original setup).

Original aluminum pan.

zuGMcUA.jpg

Sealed all of the holes and edges with what was left of my dynamat tape.

eGjASqT.jpg

played with some sparks.

aYP6aYn.jpg

Laid down all new wood and screwed into place.

y2xccst.jpg

And time to start laying down flooring. I picked a darker wood vinyl floor. I was going to use the snap together wood floor seen here.

Z24fz9h.jpg

I then decided not to use this floor as it took up too much of my precious head space! So I went with a standard sticky vinyl floor. I picked a dark wood color again because I just enjoy the warmth and cabin feeling.

5Kvml8t.jpg

I also covered the fender and gas tank fill tube cover.

k1rlSrC.jpg

pV08TiD.jpg

I then took my old piece of wood that covers the water tank and battery and everything and stripped it down. It was covered in an ugly fabric from some old ladies basement or something.

Here it is naked.

Vogl3Px.jpg

Partially covered. I also used a contact cement to ensure it would stay attached.

Xf3J2j3.jpg

Finished up and put into place.

nbF4Nr4.jpg

UdmJI00.jpg

Next was to finish the entrance. I used the snap together wood for the entrance since it was tough and I had nothing else to do with it.

Put into place.

opmrXMm.jpg

Kick proof trim in place.

tR9AB1R.jpg

And finished up with some trim in place.

2CJISns.jpg

As of today, all that is left to do is the remainder of the trim pieces alone the floor, but I didn't feel like waiting to write this up.

I had enough vinyl flooring left over to do something with. I found this old fold out picnic table at a thrift store for $10 bucks that is PERFECT for camping. Sorry this is the only pic I took before hand.

Yv7tubC.jpg

and all finished up and perfectly matching the Toyota :)

Gr4j9wL.jpg

Here it is all folded up.

mDekbmb.jpg

Panoramic photo of the inside, excuse my feet, I was relaxing after a long day.

omnrhHw.jpg

Thanks for the read!

• 3 weeks later...

You don't appear to have a place to sit and eat? Is that what you use the folding table for inside?

At this point there was no table, if you see my other thread I just recently posted it involved building a table/ tv stand.

Here are some pics of it finished.

I just use a small computer chair and a small stool for chairs. I like to be able to put the table down and move the chairs to have a good amount of open floorspace in the "living room", it makes it feel much larger while relaxing inside.

KUXNsFf.jpg

qDLVe2L.jpg

You're doing a lot of the projects I'll be doing!

That looks really nice.

I got my carpet into my cab a couple weeks ago. Will be doing wood/vinyl flooring once a bunch of other stuff is done.

Nice work!

Thank you very much! Every project finished is another project started. :)

• 2 months later...

I like what you've done! My Dolphin has a similar floor plan. The captains chairs are bolted on a platform similar to the couch base opposite. The chairs are sort of uncomfortable, hard to get in and out of and out dated fabric. For us, the extra space from removing the chairs will be welcome. We have two large dogs, and I'm thinking that will be their "place" to be out from underfoot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 1986 Granville with the same basic configuration and also have captains chairs which I do not like. Much prefer booth style. How difficult is it to redo? The captains chairs look brand new....thx for your help

• 9 months later...

I'm currently working on a very similar project. This is a great resource for me. My interior is exactly the same as yours! Did you put the plywood over the existing floor? Mine has quite a bit of rot and the top layer of wood needs to be torn out and replaced.