Back Up Camera & Head Unit install

installed a back-up camera and a new head unit (sony dvd 6.5 inch)

I ran 25ft male-video from head unit to camera ran it under matts and carpet..

ran it from where the tail lights wire go from cab to outside (under passenger seat)

I used right side running light for power & replace light w/ a led m9 light..

was real ez to run power wire and solder to m9 led running light....

the camera has 170 degrees view..

I can see everything to my left and right..Also can judge where cars are when in blind spot

(you can see them passing camera)

I used the head units "dim//lum" to turn the camera on it works as soon as I turn lights on

Hope you guys like it..

Steve

post-6388-0-73978700-1369148007_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-17300900-1369148032_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-17769600-1369148068_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-66478100-1369148087_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-45066600-1369148100_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-98188100-1369148119_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-72514600-1369148148_thumb.jp

post-6388-0-06387200-1369148168_thumb.jp

I've been wanting to get one of these on mine but was trying to figure out a way to do it without having to run a wire, yet I don't want to use one of the cheap wireless ones. Thanks for the post! I'm sure you love it.

I have not heard anything good on the wireless ones...

I picked this one up for $39 at Fry's

was pretty ez to run vid cable I'm skinny enough

to get under rv..

good luck with your camera

• 2 weeks later...

How did you install the head unit in the existing radio slot? dash kit? I had trouble installing mine and ended up cutting the old radio brakets, drilled holes and bolted to the new head unit.

tried to install myself...no luck...

paid $40 for pro install.....

they installed a sleeve so head unit fits post-6388-0-92148400-1370355802_thumb.jp

& trim/plate on front of head unitpost-6388-0-66806500-1370355825_thumb.jp

all of the old metal brackets from old stereo where taken off...

• 3 weeks later...

$40 is pretty good price for Pro. installation. It took me almost 2 hrs. to fabricate the brackets, connect wires, and another 5 hours running power, RCA, wires to the back. I also had to splice the reverse lights to get signal for the head unit to automatically turn on when I shift to reverse. It was a pain

you can also your head units "lum/dim"power wire so when you turn lights on it will always be on

helps a lot while driving and seeing what cars are behind you and if any car is passing your blind spots.

• 3 weeks later...

sdboltdude - Since you're a bolt fan (GO CHARGERS!), did someone in San Diego do the install? Whats the name of the place please?

Thanks

GO BOLTS!!

here is a link to AudioMaster its in Lemon Grove

I already had head unit wired all they did was install in dash .

buy a dash kit wiring harness to keep truck wiring stock..

I did back-up camera install my self..

Go BOLTS!

sdboltdude - Since you're a bolt fan (GO CHARGERS!), did someone in San Diego do the install? Whats the name of the place please?

Thanks

Hey thanks! Did you consider the type that has what looks like a normal rear view mirror but is actually a monitor showing what the backup camera is seeing?

Hey thanks! Did you consider the type that has what looks like a normal rear view mirror but is actually a monitor showing what the backup camera is seeing?

I did but wanted a bigger screen and a dvd player..

I'm going to buy one now and use both head unit and the rear view lcd screen

I found that using it while driving I have to take my eyes off the road to look down at dvd screen

(its fine for a quick glance)

and its just natural to look at rear view mirror

• 7 years later...

Hi-I hope this topic is still alive, what do folkd know about the new tech. for blind spot and rear monitoring/backup cameras?  I'm hoping to find a good wireless system, but if not just something that will help me avoid sideswiping anyone etc. would be really helpful.  (I just heard about a license plate holder parking camera -fensens(?), wireless and solar powered).  Thanks!

I'm not sure how much the wireless cams have improved it's a bit tougher job for a MH than a pickup as far as cam reception. Mine was hard wired and worked fine I have heard a lot people complain about wireless cams. I mounted mine up high, it gave me a much broader view of the world behind me.

Thanks for the info., I hate to admit it, but we really like the blind spot warning light on the mirror of our Honda, it would be great to have this on the rv, as well as a back looking camera.  Any specific companies you know about?  We are still looking for a Toyota, rear dinette Sunrader or Nova Star, if you ever think of selling your Nova Star please let us know, we would give it a good home (we are in upstate New York).  Take care-

20 hours ago, rvplease said:

Thanks for the info., I hate to admit it, but we really like the blind spot warning light on the mirror of our Honda, it would be great to have this on the rv, as well as a back looking camera.  Any specific companies you know about?  We are still looking for a Toyota, rear dinette Sunrader or Nova Star, if you ever think of selling your Nova Star please let us know, we would give it a good home (we are in upstate New York).  Take care-

I actually know someone selling a Nova Star I'll give her  your info.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with a Pioneer Avic-850BT with built in Navigation and the Pioneer backup camera hard wired. I have the rear bathroom model. and put my camera above my back window. ran the wire from outside into my bathroom over head cabinet to the closet and out the bottom then ran it to the front up through the Trans sifter. I love mine. I tied it into my reverse lights so it comes on automatically. I also ran PIAA fog lights in the back that turns on automatically when i put it in revers or hit the switch for backing up at night. I love it makes backing up 10x easier.