What are the main differences between the various models?

oboeterry

Hello!

My wife and I are interested in an '87 Escaper with only 16,000 miles on it. It appears to be in good condition from the outside anyway. There is some rust underneath and it looks like the upper front window has a repaired crack. We know nothing about RVs or this model, other than what we read here. The biggest issue seems to be the rear axle. I took a look at the rear wheel, comparing it to the photo from Iam<3myescaper, and it appears to be the right axle. It is listed for 13K OBO. This seems WAY too expensive to me. But, as I said, I don't know anything about these vehicles. 

Questions: what would be a fair price for this RV? Just looking for an estimate. I know I'm not providing all the info you might need to make a more accurate estimate. 

Also, what questions should I ask the seller regarding the condition of the RV? 

Thank you in advance!! 

Pictures would help! How long has it sat unused? 16K miles is almost unheard of. Sure its not 116k miles? I bought my rig last year. 36k miles. Paid $4500. Sat for years and needed lots of work due to dry rot! Put more than 3 grand in repairs but she's like new now! Good Luck and Welcome!

Right axle, matching front wheels so only need 1 spare.

Escapers have an aluminum frame NOT wood, you may get some wood panel damage but the frame will be good.

Price seems a bit much.

Its OK I found out through measurements its a odyssey 22.5 foot bumper to bumper, coach parts are a nightmare for this thing ac unit it used to have was made for a Winnebago after I looked at my neighbors GMC rv it had the same exact unit so heavy roof was murdered over it pulling the sides in from the top, 22re I stall out on hills and roll back 8000 pounds after I weighed it crazy and I have that engine maxed out on power to the point its a struggle with a powerful 16" mechanical fan almost can't keep up on hills it gets so hot

IN MY NON EXPERT OPINION ,  even with the miles being extremely low, i think 13k is really pricey. how old are tires ? all appliances work ? etc. etc. you are always going to put some amount of $$$ in these rigs post purchase. good luck and best wishes. joe from dover.

Dam OK I'm confused with these unfinished models to appeal a court order the only way is to determine my model I know its not a dolphin not even ever been registered as one, under part of the paint I found a Winnebago logo painted over but it is not identical to that or the odyssey at 22.5 ft sloped back end large bathroom window two large side windows small window behind sink next to bathroom, right from side door entry big side window behind but another long vertical one in front of right side door, nothing I have found matches this model tailights are the only give away and windows show winnabago but 84 year and top is sloped different further forward from center anyone have a clue if they just classified all these as dolphins or unfinished? Please help I need this info its a case killer.

10 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Dam OK I'm confused with these unfinished models to appeal a court order the only way is to determine my model I know its not a dolphin not even ever been registered as one, under part of the paint I found a Winnebago logo painted over but it is not identical to that or the odyssey at 22.5 ft sloped back end large bathroom window two large side windows small window behind sink next to bathroom, right from side door entry big side window behind but another long vertical one in front of right side door, nothing I have found matches this model tailights are the only give away and windows show winnabago but 84 year and top is sloped different further forward from center anyone have a clue if they just classified all these as dolphins or unfinished? Please help I need this info its a case killer.

Well I already verified that yours is a Toyota motorhome built on a cab and chassis from 1986. No state in America requires that you provide them with the motorhome manufacturer. All they want to know is the vin period and yours is under the windshield just like every other vehicle in America. If you would like to post a picture of your rig I'm sure we can identify the maker in minutes. They all came to America unfinished. They were made into motorhomes here. There is no mysterious underground making unknown 30 year old motorhomes. Either you bought it with a title or a lien sale doc. That's all you need for any DMV

Linda S

Has all the signs of an '86 chassis. 5-lug front wheels, 6 hand-hole 6-lug rear axle. So when ordering/buying parts for the Toyota part, it's an '86. Left rear wheels probably have left hand thread lugs & nuts.

Agreed that the coach appears to be '87. Model 400 not offered in '86 and walls in '86 were covered with phoney wood paneling.

1987 Dolphin Micro Mini.pdf

Here are some 1990 Gulfstream specs. 21 foot. Aluminum framing. Extra table in front of couch about 3 foot long 1 foot wide fits on poles that insert into floor. Microwave over stove. large storage bay on drivers side. exterior water faucet spicket on outside passenger side near rear. Large closet in bathroom. Step in shower no tub. 6 gal water heater, I think the holding tanks are 16 gallons each. Fresh water 16 gallons. Roof air conditioner. Bathroom roof vent. Living area roof vent. Fold out couch big enough for a 6 ft person located on drivers side. Dinette makes into bed but only about 5 ft. Cab over bed is a full mattress size. Small pantry over refrigerator. 8 gallon propane tank. Coach battery located under couch and accessible from inside. 

Other notes: When we purchased it had water damage in cab over. Because it has aluminum framing it was an easier fix than if it had wood framing. I just had to re-skin the upper bunk area. 

The rear springs from the factory were or had become too weak and the rear of the coach would drag when going into or out of gas stations etc. I installed rear air bags and Gabriel air shocks, no more dragging and it took the corners like a sports car (almost). 

Can't think of anything else but will add if I do.

I forgot to mention it has been repainted completely it used to be beige for primary then black and brown as secondary, it has the flower peeling wallpaper with cheap wooden walls and a poorly constructed steel frame for the coach sounds like its a model 400 except for its length and year its registered as a 86 but sell year new was 87 build number shows its a 14 footer but its definitely 22.5 bumper to bumper registered as a one ton truck has the unfinished short Vin number on frame I'm just trying to figure out if its a dolphin model or not all the dolphins I've seen dont go over 19 feet have not seen one over that length all the other dolphins I've seen also use different brake lights I looked at every model built between 84 and 88 not one similar in anyway for dolphins or anything else for those years I'm so confused there are a million different models I've seen between 84 and 96 not sure when the dolphins became a brand name on these things and if it was all models or just a particular class of models length doesn't give me anything to go on or year. Not seen one with the additional door side window long one near bed that I know can identify this thing if I could find another model with it same length almost.

Must be the different bumper giving me 22.5 in length heat is killing me 5000 btu ac doesn't cut it in 100° weather now I know thx that will help in tracking down coach parts knowing the model thank you