Still searching for my own Toyota Motorhome

randyradio

Hello listers, I am recently joined on this fun "lash-up" and have read up on so many topics on here. I have located one MH that sounds interesting and sure would like some opinions on pros/cons. And early on there's some very active and knowledgeble people that have impessed me: Linda S, Waiter, Derekupnorth, Mainah, and Fred Heath. You all are like the Three Muskateers of motorhomes.

It's a 1987 19ft Seabreeze with automatic trans and 89k Mi. Seems pretty clean asking $6,000. Please chime in

1987 Toyota Seabreeze Camper - $6000 (Carrollton, GA)
3L83Ja3N75I35Gc5Mfd4f44e1724e8bc2131b.jp 3Ee3Ge3K55N75I75K4d4fc6900e7d08c81694.jp 3E53Lb3I15Ga5Ef5K9d4f833a06a554f713b9.jp 3Ea3Fa3N25I45Nd5F4d4f8e6c1fffce7b161c.jp 3E13Ge3I95Nb5Lb5Med5db895798e6e361b9f.jp 3Gc3Lb3Fe5F55M35Jed5daa6ccc60dfe21a54.jp 3L83Jc3N45N35F95H8d5d57117617671c1e10.jp 3E53J43Nb5I55L45Fad5d84fc79b429781303.jp
3Ee3Ge3K55N75I75K4d4fc6900e7d08c81694.jp

Price looks reasonable. I thought I seen roof top A/C. it may have a genny. I see it has an awning.

Look carefully for rot around the ceiling (inside cabinets) and around the cab over.

Also look at tires (does it have a spare)

6k looks reasonable if everything is in good shape. expect to replace all filters, hoses, belts, brakes. I would expect you need to do a Valve adjustment. not a big deal. You should have a good unit.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks Waiter, I'll drive up on Wednesday to see it. Here's part of the note from the owner: It is an automatic transmission, 4 cylinder. It actually is my father-in-laws camper. He has only had it a little over a year. Bought it from a dealer and had it fully inspected. It runs great and is in excellent condition, he just hasn't had the time to travel like he wanted. There are no leaks and no problems, it is actually road ready and we had it running the other day.

I Think you have a similiar model. He'll take more pics this eve and send em. How tall are these with the A/C on top? My carports are pretty good sized but are about 10 ft tall inside opening at the center. I'm seeing on this site there 22r motors are long running lil machines. Would this Seabreeze feature an Overdrive in the auto TRans?

Fred Heath said you was pretty knowledgeable on these rigs. I'll be sure and mentallty learn your checklist.

Randy in GA

There's so many different search engines out there and seems these vehicles are called by a number of different names lilke Toyota camper, Toyota mini-motorhome, and of course Seabreeze, Winnebagos and on and on. I will look at this one in West Atlanta on Wed. Another one near Birmingham was an 84 with 4spd. Just called the owner he says he sold it yest for $2000. I imagine it will get busy on buying and selling these as it's the season now.

The Seabreeze is an upscale Dolphin, same interior, couch and seats, but nicer upholstery, fancy curtains, and amenities. same systems, water tanks, plumbing, frig, heater, etc.

You should have an OD on the tranny, not real functional, It is a true OD (4th gear), that tranny does not have the Torque converter lockout. to bad, I'd rather have the lockout. I use the OD occasionally if I'm in flat terrain, if It starts popping in and out, I turn it off. Keep in mind the OD is automatically disabled above about 3000 ft, so it won't work if you get out into Wyoming or New Mexico higher elevations.

Check tires for dates, Consider new tires if over 6 years old, especially if your going to do any long cross countries.

If the valves have not been adjusted, Consider doing that before a big trip.

You might also consider drilling drain holes in the front window frame. The way the windows are built, the rubber keeper is not a seal, it simply hold the plexiglass in the frame, well water can get behind that rubber keeper and then if iut can't drain out, it will seep over th frame. This is obvious from the inside, After you get a good heavy rain, look carefully at the inside of the frame, if its full of water, you need to drill drain holes on the outside. I'll take a picture of mine next time I'm outside

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Waiter, thanks for the tips. Now there's another one it's also an 87 model with 110k mi and it's also in the same region as the Seabreeze. It is a Horizon ST. It looks like a full fiberglass unit. It's listed at $4500. And also an automatic. They said roof air works new fridge and microwave. Cabin A/c not working currently. Let me know if possible your thoughts on this one. Randy

Edited by randyradio

Waiter hee's the ad on the Horizon I got a goot bit of pics from the ower but I can't seem t copy them out.

1987 Toyota Motorhome - $4500 (Villa Rica)
3Ff3Ic3H65F15H25Jcd524a42968861d5115d.jp3K83M63N15K65Fb5H4d52a3cc69c58b901bd0.jp
3Ff3Ic3H65F15H25Jcd524a42968861d5115d.jp

Completely re-done inside and out and ready to hit the road! Over the cab double-sleeper, jack knife sofa bed, dinette converts to bed. Fairly new refrigerator and microwave. Tires all in good shape. Runs good. email for more pictures

I'm not familiar with the Horizon, 4500 is good price if everything is functional. Look for leaks and wood rot, (probably not to much on this unit)

Again, check tire dates, Tires may have a lot of tread, but if they are dry and cracking, they are on borrowed time (Generally, if they are over 6 years old, its time to get replaced. plan on dropping $700 for new tires (7 tires)

Is the Frig a 2 way (or 3 way) Propane or Electric. (prefered) or is it a dorm frog that operates on 110 Volts only.

Truck A/C could be anything. A lot of these are developing leaks simply because of age, o-rings on the connectors are getting old and starting to leak. If the system is empty , I strongly recommend opening all the lines and replacing the o-rings. (These lines don't use flared fittings, they are o-ringed)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm not familiar with the Horizon, 4500 is good price if everything is functional. Look for leaks and wood rot, (probably not to much on this unit)

Again, check tire dates, Tires may have a lot of tread, but if they are dry and cracking, they are on borrowed time (Generally, if they are over 6 years old, its time to get replaced. plan on dropping $700 for new tires (7 tires)

Is the Frig a 2 way (or 3 way) Propane or Electric. (prefered) or is it a dorm frog that operates on 110 Volts only.

Truck A/C could be anything. A lot of these are developing leaks simply because of age, o-rings on the connectors are getting old and starting to leak. If the system is empty , I strongly recommend opening all the lines and replacing the o-rings. (These lines don't use flared fittings, they are o-ringed)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks Waiter, I printed out so many pages off the two Toyota motorhome sites last night for references. On Tires I guess there's many preferences. What exact brand and model do you like for these?

I bought Hankook RA08. (185/R14) I paid just under $700 for 7 tires, mounted, balanced, out the door. Mine are two years old, have 20,000 miles on them and still have good tread. Find the best price on line, print the advertisement out, then take it to your favorite tire place, They should match the price.

Ods are good, they will not have the tires in stock, so they will order them up from their warehouse, This may take a day or two. Thats one of the reasons I say if your doing any long ropad trips, think about new tires. If your planning on an Alaska trip, new tires are an absolute must. Read about our Alsaka trip HERE

Make sure you get a Light Truck tire. they should cost about $100 out the door.

They'll inflate to around 60 lbs --

ALSO - check to see if you have air bags, ( They are mounted on the rear axles. You want to carry at leastt 20 lbs in the bags all the time, I have about 80 - 90 lbs in mine when I hit the road.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I ran a search for the Hankook RA08 on Discount Tire Direct and Tire Rack and did not find that size. In face they seem to not have them socked anymore. Maybe there's another type or brand useable.

Thanks for the info on this. I'm going to look at two of these motorhomes tomorrow 6hrs to get there and hope it's successful trip./

ONE more question What is about the center height of these RV's where the roof A/C is? That's ground to the top of the A/C.

I'm wondering if one will clear my two carports.

I HAVE USED THE NEXEN S V 820 ALSO HAVE BRAND NEW SPARE ON BACK SAME THING DO THEY HAVE BIG O TIRE OUTFITS BACK THERE. I DEAL AT LES SCHAUB BUT THEY ARE ONLY IN THE WEST COAST.

11 ft. watch for Gas stations, Banks, McDonalds drive thru, etc.

Get in the habit of parking in the back of the lot and walk in. I like to back into parking spots, but before you do look low to make sure your not going to rip off your holding tank plumbing, and look high to make sure your not going to clean off your roof vents.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I will pipe in - check carefully for signs of leak - a lot of those older units were stick build & if rot gets started in the cabin - major repair time.

As for tires I just bought hankook ra08's from walmart.com -- $101 each +sales tax. Then $18/ tire to mount/lifetime balance/road hazard. I went with wally's world since they are pretty much everywhere. Some of their auto places will not touch our little campers but most will. Of course you can pull the problem wheel off yourself & hand it to them if they are weenies.

Check the appliances too. They can add up.

Happy camping!

Hi Waiter and Dana at the Cape and all. The two MH's I posted above I made a 6hr drive to west Atlanta and looked at them. First one looked good in pics but it was painted with a brush or roller sometime in the past. and the mildew mold smell inside was zippy. Then the one in Carrollton Ga was also a 4cly auto and 69k mi it was cleaner inside and I didn't get it.

Now the one that got my interest is a 89 6cyl auto with 69k mi. It's a Dolphin and the interior was really clean and no smell. The owner a trans mechanic has gone thru the tranny many new parts just cause he could where he works. He put the cam belt/waterpump idler arm kit offa Ebay on it he put all new belts and hoses and spark plugs, wires, rotor & cap. It started up and ran so smooth. My only concern is under the siding the - behind the rear wheel wells the wood has rotted about to 4 inches up or more.

I can see there's a seam a few inches above that that goes the length of the cabin. Still glued on from the factory. Owner says I can peel it off down that line take off the fiberglass skin and replace the wood and seal it all up. If that's on this list please put the link for me. And Owner changed over to R134 A/C but says the A/C compressor has thrown 3 belts and was told the NAPA belts won't do that. Can't imagine why it's thrown belts. And it will need all 6 tires. Also along the seams of the cabin - that's the outter edge going from the lower front all the way to the lower rear on each side prev owner caulked hell outta that and looks bad. Is that changeable?

Grazi

Randy, The height on mine is 100 inches from the ground to the roof, My MaxxAire covers stick up about 10 inches above the roof, (probably similar to an A/C height) Total height would be about 110 inches. I also have a CB antenna on a spring mounted on the roof rack,

Before I drive under overhangs, I like to see clearances of 11 ft for mine. I also look for light fixtures and other stuff attached to their roof / ceiling that my CB antenna could scrape against.

As for the trim piece.on the bottom of the coach. That piece looks to be about 1 1/2 wide, It appears like it was made from a piece of fiberglass siding, i.e. they took a fiberglass sheet, and cut it into 1 1/2 in wide strips, and thats what they used for that seam cover. It has the same waviness that matches the fiberglass, and its about the same thickness al the fiberglass. I bet you could take almost anything thats 1 to 2 inches wide, and glue on to cover the seam.

IDEA - Look at Home Depot and see if they have some of that long 3ft x10 foot corrugated fiberglass roof panels, or perhaps a section of household vinyl siding, buy one and use a table saw and cut a 2 inch wide piece strip, Use urethane adhesive and glue it over the seam..

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-64953100-1368965300_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-23217900-1368965312_thumb.jp

The Horizon has fiberglassed panels the New Horizon Nova Star is fiberglass like the Sunrader (clam shell) .

Waiter and all thanks for the tips on how to do a bit of project on the 89 Dolphin I found in Fla. What a interesting list this is. I saw that 94 Winnebago on the other group list in Daytona for $9999. That one is superb. I think the key to fixing the lower wood on the siding is taking off the fiberglass in the lower sections. The floor on the rig as I could tell was very good and solid underneath.

I'm gonna have to tell the Fla seller if I am going to buy it or now veddy soon.

Waiter and all thanks for the tips on how to do a bit of project on the 89 Dolphin I found in Fla. What a interesting list this is. I saw that 94 Winnebago on the other group list in Daytona for $9999. That one is superb. I think the key to fixing the lower wood on the siding is taking off the fiberglass in the lower sections. The floor on the rig as I could tell was very good and solid underneath.

I'm gonna have to tell the Fla seller if I am going to buy it or now veddy soon.

LC's Winnie is a steal. Don't wait or you'll miss it.

Linda S

Here's one in Georgia that seems reasonable and wit that fiber glass shell seems would be more watertight. I don't know anything about it and if one of the moderators wants to move this one over to classifieds - please do so.

1978 Toyota Motorhome
$2,484. US tn_IMG_0544.jpg tn_IMG_0543.jpg tn_IMG_0546.jpg tn_IMG_0542.jpg

This old classic motorhome is a joy to drive. It is very cozy for a couple to go see the sights or spend the day in the wilderness. It is 4 cylinder 4 Speed manual transmission with A/C and all of the comforts of home (except no bathroom). Gas stove, furnace and a table that drops down into a bed. The odometer says 85,000 miles but it is safe to say it is 185,000 miles and still running strong!

email us wildhorsesracing@yahoo.com or call us (704) 436-8211
(click on any picture for larger images)

Here's a Cragslist Toyota Motorhome A Graville in Norfolk, VA

1987 Toyota Granville Motorhome - 62K Miles - $5000 (Norfolk)
3E73L23H75L45He5Jad5ia37683df3dd91174.jp
1987 Toyota Granville 19ft Motorhome
63,000 Original Miles
2 Wheel Drive with Automatic Transmission
Original 22RE Fuel Injected Engine
Exterior/Interior in VERY good shape for it's age
Brand New tires all the way around
Class 5 Tow Hitch
Rear mount storage box
Roof mounted A/C and Satellite with Direct TV
Brand new Fuel Pump, Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor Button. New Fan Clutch, Radiator and Water Pump and Battery.
Brand new driving lights, CD Player with Pioneer Aftermarket Speakers
Overhead sleeper, Sleeps three total. Full kitchen with cabinet's, Refridgerator, Stove, Sink, Walk in Shower/Bathroom,
Firestone Air Lift Helper Rear Air Bags with Lifetime Warranty
11 Foot Roll Out Canopy
Rear Side Entry Door
Sewage Tank Mounted Underneath
Everything works like it should
I have a huge folder full of all Maintenance and Upgrade receipt's that add up to almost $20,000.00. This is a great camper and is a lot of fun to take on trips. Considering all the money invested into the Camper I am asking $6500.00 OR BEST OFFER. This camper starts right up and you can drive it home or to the nearest camp site. Please call or text for serious inquiries ONLY. I love this camper and am not in need of money and I don't mind keeping it so please don't low ball me.

757-448-7328
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3810328108

Posted: 2013-05-17, 12:18AM EDT

Edited: 2013-05-18, 7:51PM EDT

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram). Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

Here's a fresh listing down in NC near Asheville. Says it needs a motor: Have we got a club towdolly???

Reply rsjjr-3821438754@sale.craigslist.org [?] flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-05-22, 9:46AM EDT

1986 Toyota Shasta RV - $2000 (Cullowhee, NC)
3E83G43Md5F15H35Mbd5m3f95d64c617412aa.jp3K43G53Jb5I65N65L3d5mf73030978e5c1c5a.jp3E13Gf3J25L45Nb5H2d5m0913220e9c2719a5.jp3L33M43Fb5Ke5Je5M9d5m87f53ee5af951b27.jp
3E83G43Md5F15H35Mbd5m3f95d64c617412aa.jp
Unique 1986 Toyota Shasta motorhome for sale. $2,000 or best offer. Needs new engine. Interior is in excellent condition! You pick up.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posting ID: 3821438754

Posted: 2013-05-22, 9:46AM EDT

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram). Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

I've found a couple of things to do if you're really interested in a vehicle .

1- ask the owner if you can do a compression test....often the owner reaction is all you need...but carry a compression gauge.

2- ask/offer to wash the vehicle, this can reveal problems that you may not notice otherwise.

bueno suerte