What is the difference in a43D trannys..does anybody have a list of possible donor vehicles !

ok, my first post and its a doozy !

The trans in my 1987 went ker-blooey all over I-81..of course at 2am, and of course 800 miles from home ! got it here now and ned a whole new trans unti..this one blew the case apart.

I am getting different answers as to what trans will work ! I thought you guys here would school me on the finer differences among a43d tranny's

the vin isnt much help, but the tag on the firewall says..dum dum dum.. A43D no big surprise.. but the tag on the trans pan says "03-71 /ID #35000" i have seen a good many A43D's.. none with that tag..will they work in my toyota mini ? what is that denotation mean ?? ive put an AISIN warner 03-71 in a volvo wagon turbo that cant be the same trans...can it ???

I've got more questions than answers, im working indoors the rest of this week.. but next week im planning on dropping whats left out.. any tutorial or hints would be greatly appreciated there as well....like how much ground clearance do i need ?..since the rear crossmember is non removable..do i need to pull the front sway bar?

any help greatly appreciated, It's just starting to thaw enough here that i got under it for the first time since i towed it home last fall. and sure enough the camping season is coming quick !

i need to know a list of vehicles that would have the CORRECT trans so i can try to pull one at the yard and rebuild that one... also what type torque converter do you advise, with the little 4 cylinder and all i didnt know how low stall you could go.. or even what would be appropriate of course if anyone had a used trans for sale i'd consider it.

thanks a million in advance for your efforts and time and may God Bless

~the mayne family

The A43D was used in all 4 cylinder toyota trucks that have a 22r or 22re engine and were automatic. Wow the list is longr than I thought. Probably best to stick to the trucks though. List is from Wiki

Linda S

Applications:

• 1981 Toyota Celica Supra
  • 1982-1985 Toyota Celica XX 2000G/S turbo
  • 1982-1985 Volvo 240 2.1L Turbo I4 (AW71)
  • 1985-1991 Volvo 740 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71)
  • 1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71)
  • 1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.8L V6 (AW71)
  • 1988-1991 Volvo 780 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71)
  • 1987-1990 Volvo 780 2.8L V6 (AW71)
  • 1991-1995 Volvo 940 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71)
  • 1981 Toyota Pickup 2WD 2.4L I4 22R (California emissions only, Federal emissions used A43)
  • 1982-1995 Toyota Pickup 2WD 2.4L I4 22R/RE
  • 1982-1995 Toyota Cab/Chassis 2.4L I4 22R/RE (flatbed, cube, motorhome)
  • 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma 2WD 2.4L I4 2RZ
  • 1982 Toyota Crown Royal 2.8L I6 5MG

The little voice in my brain says look at the dip stick location.

Those AW71s in the turbo volvos ( turbobricks.com ) hold up to a fair bot of abuse behind modded motors with lots more power than any 22RE. Interesting list!

so looking at that list of vehicles, i looked up a rebuilt trans from several places and i get two different options...one just says A43D and the other says A43D ID tag #53010, 0r 53000

im wondering what that means because that is what is on the pan of the trans itself and it does NOT match the first two donor vehicles i checked.. a 1999 tacoma 4x2 2.4, and a early cressida. it seems that id number is a hard to find thing..sure wish i knew the difference.

i intend to put a rebuilt torque converter on it, so that doesnt bother me, but i wonder what the difference is.

thinks that make you go hmmm...

has anyone here put a trans out of a tacoma or volvo in to a mini ??

Edited by mikemayne

so looking at that list of vehicles, i looked up a rebuilt trans from several places and i get two different options...one just says A43D and the other says A43D ID tag #53010, 0r 53000

im wondering what that means because that is what is on the pan of the trans itself and it does NOT match the first two donor vehicles i checked.. a 1999 tacoma 4x2 2.4, and a early cressida. it seems that id number is a hard to find thing..sure wish i knew the difference.

i intend to put a rebuilt torque converter on it, so that doesnt bother me, but i wonder what the difference is.

thinks that make you go hmmm...

has anyone here put a trans out of a tacoma or volvo in to a mini ??

Just cause I post a list with way too many vehicles doesn't mean you should stray far from the field. Stick with a tranny out of a toyota truck and not one so new as a 99. Toyota parts site shows the 99 tacoma having either a a43d or a a44d. Too many possible changes in a tranny even with the same name. Where could you be that there aren't any toyota truck trannies to be had. Rebuilt from a shop around where I live cost 400 or 500 bucks if you do your own install. and return core. I guess your core wouldn't be usable though so add another couple of hundred

Linda S

I'm no expert on Aisin automatic transmissions in Toyota trucks. I CAN tell you that just because a list shows the the same model transmission used in multiple vehicles does NOT mean they can be interchanged. One basic transmission model may have many different variations - in the clutches,governor, pressure-control valve, input shafts, output shafts, engine bolt pattern, torque converter stall speed, etc.

I went through that recently when trying to find a GM 700R4 - later called a 4L60 for a Chevy diesel 4WD truck. The diesel V8 trans had many, many internal differences then other 700R4s. Even just sticking to diesels GM V8s they still differed a lot over years or GVW designation. Like I said though, I'm not an Aisin/Toyota expert but I doubt they are all the same.

If you wanted a trans to rebuild - I've got one here you can have for free. But - I'm in central New York. Transmission was still working well when the truck got taken off the road to be scrapped. It's a 1987 Toyota one-ton with a 2.4 EFI engine and I robbed the FF dually rear out of it. It was a box-truck. Note it's only free if you come to get it.

dear user jdemaris.. i greatly appreciate your offer and would indeed be interested in your used trans. please send me an email at alestry1@gmail.com this sounds like exactly what i need.

rephrase.. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED, it is 1987 and from a 1 ton 2.4 efi. i fully intend to get it pulled this coming week to at least see exactly what it looks like.

post-7090-0-53274600-1366431722_thumb.jp

but as you can see.. my work area is a bit damp tonight !

nasty thunderstorms and a rare report of a tornado between here and binghamton,ny

thanks to all for your replies.

~michael

i appreciate that link and i'd be willing to try that company, i could have it delieverd to a commercial dock and save $100 on shipping too.. but they tell me this is not the trans i need..they actually say the best number is 35010-35333-84 but 3500 will also work...surprise!

and then they proceed to tell me they dont rebuild those anymore. sooo....we are in the hunt.

thanks! ~m

John de Marrais here. I live in central New York. Otsego County. 60 miles from the PA line and 50 miles from Albany. 15 miles from Cooperstown. The truck is a 1987 dual-wheel box truck with the 2.4 EFI. The previous owner told me the trans was working fine. The engine went bad and he paid a local shop to put a good used engine in. The so-called "good used" engine would not hold any coolant. It just ran out near the cylinder-head. At that point - with the repair shop wanting more money to fix -the owner gave up and I bought it as scrap. I suspect all it needs is a head-gasket and I'm saving the engine.
I already cut the truck half and took the rear axle and front hubs out. The cab is still intact and engine and trans are still in. I'm going to pull the engine sometime before scrapping what's left. I would have scrapped it last fall but winter came and I put it off for this summer. So, the trans is your's if you want to pull it. If you come at a good time - I can lift the entire rig in the air with my payloader and have torches here for any rusty connectors that need to be cut. I also have any tool known to man here.
I'm leaving for Kentucky in a few days to look at some real estate. I'll be back in New York in about a week after that. Then around the beginning of June, I'll be heading to northern Michigan for at least a month.
So, you've got to come here when I’m here. I sent you a private email. My home-phone "land-line" works regardless of what part of the country I'm in. We take it with us in our camper. We will only be home a few days at a time here in NY until winter. I'm also building a house in the Adirondacks and the building inspector says I MUST finish it this year. I started it 10 years ago. House building goes slow when you do it alone and have no grid-electricity. So when in NY temps are above 50F - I'll be heading up there whenever I can.

dear user jdemaris.. i greatly appreciate your offer and would indeed be interested in your used trans. please send me an email at alestry1@gmail.com this sounds like exactly what i need.

rephrase.. IT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED, it is 1987 and from a 1 ton 2.4 efi. i fully intend to get it pulled this coming week to at least see exactly what it looks like.

attachicon.gifup in the air!.JPG

but as you can see.. my work area is a bit damp tonight !

nasty thunderstorms and a rare report of a tornado between here and binghamton,ny

thanks to all for your replies.

~michael

They are all the same basic thing, that trans is used in the new Tacoma 4 cylinder but highly refined. The 6 cyl. in 89 had electronics and a lockup converter. One thing you need to look out for during a rebuild is the surface where the governor rings run in the case if it has groves in the case (if you can feel them that's too much) it will have to be repaired a good trans shop should have the tools required to install a bushing kit that was a fairly common issue. The truck trans had a quite low stall speed converter. There are some differences in the transmissions by year you might check with a junk yard the better ones have cross reference books that will tell them what is and is not compatible by year and make.