'89 Odyssey Complete Camper Rebuild

I am just getting started on my major complete rebuild of my 89 Odyssey camper body. I plan on stripping camper down to its framework and going from there. It will be a learn as you go project. Right now I call her the ugly duckling. She has major leaking problems. The aluminum roof panel is rusted thru in numerous areas from the rear up to air conditioner. The bathroom floor is soft to the point of unsafe, also more soft spots in main floor area near doorway. My plans are to remove outer walls and use them as a template and make new sandwich walls with 1/4" weathershield plywood w/foam board sandwiched between it. Replace all rotted (lots of it) framing. Stain and put the new walls up & run 1 x 2 stripping around perimeter of body and over any seams. Screw down every 4" with brass screws. Then coat over it all with a marine grade clear epoxy coating. Making camper look like an old woody wagon. Replace roof w/2" aluminum c channel every 2 ft. Remove the air conditioner. Lay down 1/2" weathershield plywood then attach the new roof material: RMA XTRM-PLY PVC Roofing. Without the air conditioner I will have more room to put a bank of solar panels. Plus add a wind turbine for cloudy days attached to the ladder. The inside I will be laying 3/4" weathershield ply for the new floor. Over top of ply I plan on laying down a cork flooring. Then it's mostly done. Need to replace the corroded out water heater, get the solar panels & wind generator plus all the items that go with, check out the kimberly wood stove as a heater, get air shocks, mount a class III/IV tow hitch. Call me crazy but I would also like to make my shower dual purpose. I don't know if it can be done but an electric sauna unit in it would be the bomb. I'm getting older now, an official old geezer and a sauna would feel so good on old bones. That's it for now. Posting pictures of the beginning strip down. More as I progress.

post-2661-0-22449600-1366067185_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-92846100-1366067254_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-31766500-1366067295_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-37045300-1366067342_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-84701800-1366067405_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-46644400-1366067467_thumb.jp

post-2661-0-66350700-1366067647_thumb.jp

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How did the rebuild go? do you have anymore pictures to show? I recently purchased a Toyota Dolphin and am doing rot repair now. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

I just bought an 85 dolphin with rear U bench. Have no idea if anything works or how it all works and neither did the owner! I'm a tent camper getting older (56) and wiser, mechanically inclined so I have manuals and will eventually figure it all out. This forum has been such a big help with 5 pages of notes and counting! Any suggestions? Tom

Sailfritz,

I have the same model and year Dolphin that you have. I've done a fair bit of re-building and a little bit of upgrading. If you have questions, send me a private email and I'll try to help.

John

John, I'm new to this site and how it all works. How do I send a private email?