I saw an alternative ladder style on a website for horse trailers.

http://cimarrontrailers.com/new-ez-angle-ladder/

It has a mounting plate at the top but uses an extension ladder where the ladder angles out and the feet go down to the ground.

That would take a lot of stress off the sides of the RV compared to using the tradition RV ladders. It would also be more comfortable to climb.

Does not seem like it would be overly difficult to fabricate a top plate to use on a lightweight extension ladder plus a clamp to hold the bottom against the RV when the ladder is not in use.

5-EZ-ANGLE-LADDER-copy-225x300.jpg

The problem I see is that most MH don't have a vertical rear wall like that trailer.

Mine does!!! Near enough anyway to vertical that I can fabricate brackets and adapt an extension ladder for it.

Sigh, another modification to add to the already long list. But considering that the ladder on my Sunrader is attached through the fiberglass with just a few pull rivets that have no backing plate on the inside it is an essential modification to do if I ever want to have a useable ladder at the back.

Mine does!!! Near enough anyway to vertical that I can fabricate brackets and adapt an extension ladder for it.

Sigh, another modification to add to the already long list. But considering that the ladder on my Sunrader is attached through the fiberglass with just a few pull rivets that have no backing plate on the inside it is an essential modification to do if I ever want to have a useable ladder at the back.

Karin I use my ladders all the time on both Sunraders. Always get on the roof to wash them well. Up and down adjusting my hokey little tv antenna. I am not a skinny girl and my ladders are still fine.

Linda S

• 2 years later...

I too used the ladder to wash and wax the top of my Sunrader and it worked just fine before I tied my 105 lb Lab to it and he took off chasing a squirrel. Not the brightest move I've ever made. :( I like the idea of a ladder going all the way to the ground (ie Cimmaron) just a little more stability but I'm not sure the length would fit. The extension ladder is a good idea too because you could adjust the height. I'm still trying to figure out a way to salvage the original but aluminum is not easy to work with. It sounds like no matter which ladder I choose, I will have to tear up the inside to anchor it and that's a bummer.

• 1 month later...

I wish I saw this post earlier! I just bought and installed a new ladder, and this would've been a more suitable ladder for my needs. Bummer! Nice find, though!

• 3 months later...

I fabricated 12 inches wide 2 inches tall and 1/4 inch thick aluminum backing plates that I screwed into the RV with stainless screws. My Camco ladder screws into the aluminum with threaded stainless screws and lock washers

If I ever need a new ladder I just unscrew the ladder to the aluminum and I'll never have to bother the initial screws into my rig.