Where is windshield wiper relay on a 93 Toyota Seabreeze?

bbvranch

My wipers quit and blow the 20 amp fuse. I have checked out the motor and it is okay. Before I pull the steering wheel and wiper switch, I want to check the wiper relay, but . . . . . I don't know where it is located and I have searched. Any ideas?

Bob in Texas

Edited by bbvranch

not sure have you checked the left panel side panel next to where your left leg is when driving.

• 1 year later...

According to my chiltons book, not exactly a great reference, there is no relay shown on the wiring diagram. Everything seems to run thru the wiper/washer switch assembly. Maybe the relay is inside the switch assembly??

My wipers quit and blow the 20 amp fuse. I have checked out the motor and it is okay. Before I pull the steering wheel and wiper switch, I want to check the wiper relay, but . . . . . I don't know where it is located and I have searched. Any ideas?

Bob in Texas

There isn't any relay for the wiper motor. It is direct wired to the multi-wiper/washer switch and is powered directly from the ignition switch.

I have the same problem on my 91 warrior, it keeps blowing the fuse. The wiper works very slowly and then it blows the fuse. I disconnected the wires from the wiper motor and tried to see if there is electricity getting to the motor. There was only 8 volts or less in three terminals and the fuse blew while testing. How did you test the motor and found out it was alright? Would you share please.

thanks.

I have the same problem on my 91 warrior, it keeps blowing the fuse. The wiper works very slowly and then it blows the fuse. I disconnected the wires from the wiper motor and tried to see if there is electricity getting to the motor. There was only 8 volts or less in three terminals and the fuse blew while testing. How did you test the motor and found out it was alright? Would you share please.

thanks.

Unhook the wire harness at the wiper motor. Then run jumper wires through an amp-gauge and test. One test lead attached to one of the hot wires and the other to the ground wire on the motor. There are two main wires to test. High speed and low speed. A volt reading taken at the motor while it is running won't do you any good. A low reading can mean inadequate power getting to the motor OR excessive draw from the motor. Best way to test is as I stated. Then you'll know. When the motor is working right - it only draws 4 amps no-load @ 12 volts on low speed and 7 amps no-load @ 12 volts on high speed. You can add a few amps if the wipers are on a dry windshield and turning hard. If a motor OR the wiper linkage is heavily corroded and the parts are turning overly hard- the motor can draw 20 amps and blow a fuse. The motors are pretty easy to take apart and clean up when giving trouble. Linkage that attaches to the wipers not quite so easy. Often slow windshield wipers are caused by the wiper linkage turning hard and not the motor.

Just did the test and jump wired the motor. It works good. So my problem is not getting enough power to the motor. Now it seems more complicated. All those wires wrapped up together. I was thinking worse comes to worse I should make a new circuit and supply power to the motor with an on and off key and an in line fuse. How is that? I once did that on an ignition switch. The key didn't work so I used a push button instead.

Thanks again for the diagram and the test. Now I am not as confused. By the way two years ago I had a shop to put a remote starter on the rig . The remote starter works as before, may be he did some thing wrong that is doing this today and keeps burning fuses. Who knows.