Help - need to totally replace/repair roof!

Chaskamuru

Hello,

I just bought a 86 Toyota Dolphin - been loving it, just got it thoroughly checked out today. In good condition.

However, I went under an overpass in Santa Rosa, CA that was not marked with a height.. and totally shredded the roof, the AC caved in, the roof is split and caved in, and their is a gaping 4ft hole in the back.

My insurance doesn't cover it, because it is not a collision or traditional accident.

I need to totally repair/rebuild the roof and am asking for ideas and suggestions of what to do and how to do it.

Thanks!

Aaron

yikes who is the insurance carrier that is claiming its not a cover-able claim? Just what exactly are they being paid a premium for, are they not a traditional insurance company?

I cannot say I am surprised though and I have said this many times; insurance is the scourge of society. Where else will you find more scum and villainy then maybe in a star wars bar or a political convention than in insurance for health auto or home.

They love to not pay because if they pay they aren't making as much profit. Old Totem knows how to handle them though, and so will you.

Do yourself a favor (if you have comprehensive) call your claims adjuster back and tell him (its almost always a him if they are denying) it's either one or another. I'm not sure what state you are in, but it really shouldn't matter. Collision is with another manned vehicle, Comprehensive is hitting non manned such as bridges or deer or buildings. If you have it you are covered.

/

Next find a shop that will take the repair and get a quote but do not start work authorization. Next send the quote to the adjuster. MAKE HIM DENY IN WRITING the claim. Next file a BBB complaint and finally a small claims case. Any Judge would take this and smack the company hard; I will bet you lunch they wont even let it go past BBB.

If you don't have comprehensive you had better be a good carpenter. Your going to have to rip the rest of the roof off and see how it was constructed. I will try to find some links of others who have done major work and post them here

Linda S

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1928&st=0&p=8761&hl=+burnt%20+shasta&fromsearch=1entry8761

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4126

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3453&hl=%2Bburnt+%2Bshasta#entry18179

Hope this helps some. Get back to us if you need to find parts

Linda S

There is also one other option... you could try to find a camper thats in a junk yard, unbolt yours scavenge the camper shell and install on your chasis. Thats what I would do; and while at it get a sunrader shell. I have seen them for sale for $800 where the truck is missing an engine trans or axle. Why spend all that headache when you could upgrade to fiberglass lovin.

:)

I have a 89 Dolphin, I think our roofs are the same. Really there is not much to them... From the inside-out 1st you have the 1/8 panel, then you have the wood frame, 1" X 1" wood with 1" (foam between) on the top it's 1/8 foam board then finally the aluminum covering...

IMG_2771.jpg

I used 1" X 2" aluminum channel to cure my saggy roof in the picture...

Andrew.

I think you need legal help. An overpass that low should have been marked.

Most important question!!! The roof is built as unit and basically just rests on the walls.

Did it do any damage to the sides. Need some photos.

John MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Where in Santa Rosa, CA was that? i live 45 mins form there. and i have a 1989 toyota dolphin. i live in Occidental, CA. i hope i don't hit that overpass. and if it was not marked its Santa Rosa's fault.

Where in Santa Rosa, CA was that? i live 45 mins form there. and i have a 1989 toyota dolphin. i live in Occidental, CA. i hope i don't hit that overpass. and if it was not marked its Santa Rosa's fault.

I want to know too. My best friend is moving to Santa Rosa and I will be up there a lot and most of the time in my Sunrader.

Linda S

If the damage got into the walls, that adds a lot of complexity to the problem. If the damage is limited to the roof, this may not be a serious as it initially seems. i.e the A/C unit being ripped off, crushing thru the roof is what all the damage is.

If this is the case (and I suspect it is), the area around the A/C unit is 3/4 plywood, The roof can be removed by pulling off the top side trim pieces (save them) and you'll see that the roof metal folds over the edge and those trim pieces cover the fold.

I think a couple days work and you'll be as good as new.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

hmmm I'm thinking OP doesn't have pictures and I doubt an overpass wouldn't be marked unless it was a personal bridge of some sort. Government/state has learned this lesson in the 50's. Post up some pictures and prove me wrong though!

Well I don't think we should assume it's a pretend post. Maybe he just didn't want to admit he went through the drve through at Taco Bell. Another member here forgot what he was driving and drove into a parking garage. They handle so well it's not that hard to forget how big and tall they are. Accidents happen

Linda S

Poster guy if you can post some pics I'm sure you could get some good advice about repairing this

Don't bother with the BBB they are toothless. However every state has an division of the Attorney Generals office that deals with insurance and they also have consumer protection division.They have big shiny white teeth with razor sharp points that can put insurance companies and also auto repair companies out of business if they don't stick to the rules. Better than small claims courts too.

Not True. every time I have ever filed a BBB complaint I have gotten action.

And understanding how states AG's quantify cases (often times through BBB reports) will quickly lead you to know that the more BBB cases the more likely the AG is to actually use his or her teeth.

Lone gunman calls straight to the AG will end no where, almost assuredly without a BBB reference.

My only complaint against the BBB is when they charge for arbitration or close a case as resolved when a dishonest vendor lies about taking care of a customers complaint. Tis easy enough to reopen the case though; I had to reopen a BBB case against a cable company recently 6 times to get my issue resolved but it DID get resolved. It was a matter of principle. The big dogs do NOT want multiple BBB reports looking bad because they know the AG will go after them first; its all about the $.

PS> I am a moron that drove into a parking garage with my toy after hitting a McDonald's drive through bar on the same day. I am in recovery now; no more mickey dees or garages for me.

I would have made it too had I not installed that pesky air conditioner.

I'm not the only one. I recall someone did it and had to deflate their tires to get out also, my incidents were just a scrape/dent of my AC cover before I heard the noise and let out a Homer Simpson "Doah". I never drive more than idle -5 when cruising city parking lots even before I installed the AC as I am exceptionally paranoid about hitting things in the RV. I don't want to be "that guy" with the lost look on his face as he goes TONG off of a fast food clearance bar.

Thats awesome! Doh! I remember when I got our first toyhome in 2000.

We were going through NYC and I missed the sign that said no RV's or Trucks... The tunnels were arches and there were no exits to get off on, we had to make it through by taking up 2 lanes of traffic....

FAIL on my part. I cannot remember the tollway through the city now but someone here may know it.

On my to do list for this spring is to get an actual height figured out for my rig. Guess I will balance a long 2 x 4 on the highest spot and measure down to the ground from it.

Brochure for the 85 says it's105 inches tall. I just measured mine and seems to be the same. Yours must be very close to that. Of course that's without AC on top. I don't have one up there

Linda s

does that include the vent covers and the vents to furnace stove and tanks?

Well furnace and stove vent from the side. I measured from the top of my rack which is on very top of roof and came in a couple of inches under the brochure measurement so yes it probably includes vents and pluming vents. They do not extend very far above that rack. It's under 9 feet so I probably could make it under some of those fast food drive throughs. Not going to try it though

Linda S

My frig vents on the top. The MaxAir covers stick up a lot, probably a little higher than the A/C unit (I don't have a roof unit, I have a standard window unit)

JOhn Mc

88 Domphin 4 Auto

Thanks for all the replies!

The overpass was on 3rd St. connecting A St. to B St.

It was the mall overpass...

It was not marked. And this is my 1st motorhome, so I was not yet familiar with the clearance.

Do you think I should make a claim them?

With the Mall? to the city of Santa Rosa?

I did a temporary fix the last couple days... had to cut the roof off and put up plywood and sealed it. I really just needed to get it sealed as I have a trip I need to do with it this weekend.

20130406 171701

20130406 171731

20130406 171644

Edited by Chaskamuru

I would file a claim against them both. They are both responsible. You should have lots of pics and you should have at least reported it to your insurance company. Wouldn't hurt to get a repair estimate from a licensed shop too. Small claims in California will pay up to 5000. The best and quickest course cause both of those places are going to automatically deny your claim. Do you have any witnesses. Did you call the police when it happened. All matters

Linda S

Thanks for the pictures! Just another thought to help you... possibly go back to the scene and take pictures of where you hit and take pictures of the bridge with no markings (once you claim this, they will immediately go out and put a sign up)... do this prior to claiming. The bridge may also have reminents of your collison on it as well... get a close up of that if you can. Hind sight is 20/20 but if it happened to me, I would have taken pictures of it with my camera phone before I backed up (if it was safe) that way you have evidence that you hit there.

I really hope it works out for you, by the pictures, it doesn't look like the walls are too messed up.