?? Bag Awnings??

Oldiesel

We recently bought a very nice 93 Itasca 21.5, however it has no awning and we frequently used our awning on out last camper and enjoyed it. The roll up awnings are very expensive so we are considering purchasing a bag awning. My question is are these bag awnings user friendly? Or is it a pain in the neck to use/put away so that we probably would not use it frequently? I am 5'11" and my wife is 5' even. It looks to me that we would have to carry 2 of the folding step stools to be able to roll it up and "bag" it. I have looked around on the internet and have not found a video of someone taking one down and putting back in the bag. The ads all say one person can do it, but it seems to me that rolling up and putting away an 11ft awning would be a handful. So has anyone on this board had experience either good or bad if so please share your experience with us! TIA Don & Ellie

I us a bag awning, love it

BAG AWNING INSTALL

The main modification I did to mine, There are straps that tie around the bag to hold it rolled up before zipping it closed. I sewed valcro to these straps so instead of tieing the straps together, I can just valcro them together. This makes it possible for one person to roll it up and valcro the straps. Otherwise you need two people, one person has to hold the rolled up bag while the other person ties the straps.

John Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

Karin, I like that porch thing. :-)

I also forgot to mention, If you have velcro taped straps, one person can open and close the awning. It also helps to have a step stool. I keep this one in the house, it also doubles as a small table while sitting under the awning.

STEP STOOL

JOhn McAvoy

I just installed a Dometic box awning on my '85 Dolphin yesterday. I was going to go the bag awning route when I found the box awning for $250.00 from someone who was parting out an RV in town. The awning is a little over ten feet long and rolls out to a little over seven feet. The only problem was that the box is six inches wide and just comes in contact with the top of the door frame even though the awning track is installed as high as possible on the side of the motorhome. Something to consider when shopping for an awning...

John