Drinking water

MontanaChinook

Do most of you drink the water out of your fresh tanks, or just use it for washing?

I don't know how I feel about my tank. I can clean it, but I also don't know how I feel about the plastic it's made from.

Does anyone worry about this, especially those who spend a lot of time boondocking, or even living out of their RV? I may be a bit of a greeny, but I'm pretty careful what I put into my body, for the most part. I'm ok with meat and grease and all that, just not chemically fueled, antibiotic filled, irradiated because they can't slaughter it sanitarily type meat...

You get where I'm going.

So if I were to possibly spend months at a time living in the RV, would the water from the tank be healthy?

I don't know the kind of plastic it's made from, and don't see any option when replacing them. They're just "plastic".

I've actually considered building a place under a counter, on the floor, for a large water jug, and putting a pump faucet in the counter above it, and having that be my drinking water.

Everything is torn out right now so this is the time to do things like this. I'll be doing all new counter tops.

I'm sure opinions will vary...but am I worrying too much? Completely unnecessary, or a reasonable idea?

House water is for washing things and people. I use bottled water to cook with and drink.. Your drinking water tank idea sounds good, just make sure you can do an easy fill from 1 gallon water jugs

Thanks. One on each side so far!

I was kind of thinking of one of those five gallon refillable drinking water jugs you see in water coolers. I could pull the whole thing and bring it into a store for filtered or reverse osmosis or spring water, including the actual mountain springs along some roadsides with spring water flowing out of a pipe. Just build a little base that holds it in place at the bottom, probably just 1"x1" fir, and maybe a ratcheting strap attached to the side of the camper, or the cabinet frame or something. Would be hidden from view, but easily accessible, and I'd have a lid with a tube going through it, connected to a counter top pump faucet...

That is good to know, John! This is why it's probably not a big deal...all the chemicals we've all been exposed to and, well...most of us haven't died from cancer...

I don't know if Chinooks came stock with powered water pumps. Mine has one. The faucet is just like what you posted, except its a "three way". Hand pump, electric pump, city water hookup. The pump is a tiny little thing attached to the outlet of my water tank, and is activated by what I have to assume is an aftermarket toggle switch installed in the bench seat near the sink...flip that switch and the water starts flowing. Otherwise you have to pump. I like having the choice to use the battery or not.

But yes, when I thought about doing something just for drinking water, I figured a regular hand pump faucet would be good. Only reason I even bought the three way faucet when I replaced the leaking one is for cleaning...kind of annoying to have dirty hands and be trying to wash them while I'm pumping with one hand...won't matter for drinking water though.

I boon dock a lot and use my water for everything. I do chlorinate it come spring fill it about 1/4 way pump it through the system take it for a ride and drain it fill it 1/4 way with fresh water take it for another ride and pump it drain it again can you tell I don't like the chorine? I capture rain water and dump that in the tank while camping if I don't have a source for water..

I use the water in my tank for everything. If your water at home tastes OK why not. I did have a problem for a while with the tank water tasting tanky. Can't really describe it any other way but it wasn't good. I found out it was my hose at home imparting that nasty taste. Got new RV hoses and now it's great.

I do disinfect with bleach often especially if it has been sitting a while. Rinse thoroughly

Linda

Second the use of RV hose for taste and a filter at campgrounds, and don't forget the pressure regulator. When we got our RV the white tank water smelled wrong. When at camping world buying all the stuff to actually use the RV, it came to us completely empty, got the flush system and the stuff to add to the tank, called a freshener I think. After doing all that we fill at home and no problems drinking, cooking with the white tank, better than some campgrounds.

i flush and chlorine every spring. i also carry two five gallon screw top water tanks i use a flex funnel to refill my onboard tank for ext trips

Interesting stuff! Thanks everyone. I do like the britta idea. That would take up less space and yes, no extra faucet needed. Space is a premium in all small motorhomes, but a Chinook...a 5 gallon jug will take up a lot of needed space! I just need to decide if it's worth it to me.

Thanks for the ideas and input. I have a few more weeks before the cabinets go in. Wiring right now, walls next. Things will start moving fast very soon, but I still have a couple weeks to decide on cabinet stuff, so I can think over drinking water ideas until then.

I'll admit, it's nice to at least trust the tank water for drinking. I hate going into someone's rv and being scared of the water...or having someone new in my rv, and forgetting to warn them not to drink the water! :) Whether I do a separate drinking water system or not, I should clean my tank and make sure it's suitable for drinking out of, whether or not I actually do it.

Zach - I'm full time and boondock quite a bit. I'm currently staying near the ocean and fresh water is definitely a problem when you don't have a trustworthy water source. Even using an RV hose and a filter at the campgrounds I find some disturbing debris floating around in my water. Therefore I have been using the reverse osmosis machines at the local grocery stores using 5 - one gallon jugs to get drinking/cooking water ($0.30 a gallon) and that lasts my dog and I about 3 days. This isn't the most efficient method so I'm interested to find out what you decide to do.

I like and have thought about Maineah's idea of capturing rain water to use for washing/cleaning. Maineah can you elaborate on what your water collection system is like.

I have a 17 gallon stock tank that I use for cleaning and washing. I use 2 collapsible, 2 gallon containers with a spigot top. I got the extra containers because the 17 gallon tank was not enough water to last for 3 days with wife and myself and 2 (90lbs) dogs. I ended up just using the 2 gallon tanks for drinking because it is easier to inspect when getting water from different sources.

Thanks. I guess a lot will depend on whether I think I'm ever going to live out of this thing for periods of time, or just do the weekend thing.

Unless I move, there's not enough rain to warrant taking the time to set up a rain water collection system. It just doesn't rain around here, for the most part!

• 1 month later...

I use bottled water to drink. I have placed a 1x2 across end of dinette and carry water there. If you follow the procedure in owner's manual & keep the water moving then I would consider the tank water ok to drink. I use water because the 14 gallon water tank (Winnie warrior) is just enough for 2 navy showers & to wash a few dishes.

For those whoa re going to say what about the 4 gallons in the water heater I say you can not get that water except by pushing it out with 4 more gallons of water (so even if someone tells you these have 18 gallons of water, they have 14 gallons of usable water)