I would like to replace the vacuum hoses on my 1983 toyo truck. I looked for a size on the tubing but all I can find are an * and a #. Does anyone know the sizes? The guy at the auto parts store said they were metric sizes and all they carried were standard.

I'm sure there are Metric sized hoses but for vacuum purposes it doesn't matter. Snip off a small 1/2" sample (or the whole length, if you want). Go to the store and just tell them you want "this size". If offered one a little bigger and one a little smaller, take the smaller.

3/16 or 5mm if you can find silicone hose use that they will never need to be replaced again.

MAiNeah do you mean that GERMAN stuff woven braid on the outside i have never seen anything that beats that last forever

Nope, the stuff BMW started to use 25 years ago (yeah it's German) it's full synthetic and smooth. Very flexible resistant to just about any thing and doesn't split comes in different colors too.