Making Fiberglass look better

kdr2171

Polish with bar keepers friend. Like comet but no bleach and much finer no scratch formula available at home depot and Ace hardware, very cheap. Then wax with good quality automotive wax. Some people use Polyglow too but I haven't tried it. find online

Linda S

Our 87 Dolphin had fibers sticking out everywhere. First we power washed to get the dirt and dust out. Then we scrubbed with a non-abrasive scotchbrite sponge on a handle (from the kitchen) to remove the fiberglass hairs. Last we sprayed clear auto finish from NAPA. It looks much better now, not great but good enough that you don't notice any problem. It has had three summers now and is still ok but we may give it one more coat of the clear this summer.

Lot of boat owners use mop and glo. it worked good on the 1987 sunrader i have. maybe it depends on the fiberglass condition.this site is new to me and still trying to figure out what button to push to upload a picture from my documents.A pic. of the crank

I second the vote for cleaning with Barkeepers followed by three to four coats of ZEP Wet Look Floor Finish. Read the threads on the Good Sam Forum regarding Red Max Pro (aka ZEP) at www.rv.net Did my '92 Itasca three years ago and other than washing with plain water, the finish looks just as good as it did when I applied ZEP. Can't say enough good about it.

"fiberglass does not look as good as I would like it to. What is the best way to get it looking new?"

I have been thinking about the same questions. Does anyone have any before and after pictures?

Polish with bar keepers friend. Like comet but no bleach and much finer no scratch formula available at home depot and Ace hardware, very cheap. Then wax with good quality automotive wax. Some people use Polyglow too but I haven't tried it. find online

Linda S

Times 2 just be careful it does have oxalic acid in it you might want to ware gloves and some thing to protect your eyes if your scrubbing the MH it is the only thing I have ever used that will remove the nasty black streaks. Boat yards have the same stuff in a much larger size they call it teak cleaner but I think it's cheaper by the can at HD. It also it great in the kitchen both the house and the camper.

i did a small area with a very fine steel wool to remove the hairs and black lines, not much effort. then washed and apllied a non buff type car wax, can't remember the name, came in orange bottle. looks great and after four months still looks clean. (and i live in the country with lots of dust) will be doing the whole thing that way soon. will probably used a floor wax product instead of car wax, i think it would be quicker, easier and just as effective.

Times 2 just be careful it does have oxalic acid in it you might want to ware gloves and some thing to protect your eyes if your scrubbing the MH it is the only thing I have ever used that will remove the nasty black streaks. Boat yards have the same stuff in a much larger size they call it teak cleaner but I think it's cheaper by the can at HD. It also it great in the kitchen both the house and the camper.

Bar keepers friend has no chemicals of any kind in it. If they can use it at the Bar it has to be non toxic. I never use gloves with it. If you mean the Polyglow yes use gloves

Linda S

Just make sure there's a glass of milk handy to wash it down with!

I'm really very surprised. When I do the roof of my Sunrader I'm literally laying in it for a long time. Tank top and shorts, I'm covered with that stuff and I probably eat a bunch too. Never bothered me one bit.

Linda S