1983 Sunrader Clearance Light Wiring Question

83 SunRader

Is there a wire that specifically runs to the clearance lights? If so, where is it? All my lights work except for the clearance lights near the roof. Just trying to figure out where my problem may be.

All the clearance lights near the roof are out. That's why I was wondering if there is a main wire that runs to them that I could test for power.

I think all the manufacturers had their own ways of running the wiring. I've no specific Sunrader knowledge. I think some fed the rear lights from the tail light circuit, the front ones from elsewhere. Hopefully someone with Sunrader knowledge will reply.

Could you temporarily feed 12v power directly to one of the lights to see if they all light up? It could also be a 'ground' problem, so try running a new temporary ground.

Do you have a multimeter?

Sunraders are bad about losing ground to the clearance lights because of the fiberglass construction. Try running a wire from a chassis ground to the base of one light. With the light switch on, and a known good bulb, observe what happens when the test ground is touched to the light. Does that light come on? Or do they all come on? That would indicate a bad ground to either that light or a bad master ground to all lights. I think they're all linked together. If nothing comes on then it would be a power problem. I think there is a Sunrader wiring diagram in the files. I've been away for several years and I just can't remember where things are anymore.

Allen

83 Sunrader

All Sunrader clearance lights are run from the back one on the passenger side across the back to the other side to the front and ends at the front passenger side. Start by checking the first one for current and go from there.

Linda S

• 5 years later...

The above answer from Linda is correct... Yet it is not easy to fish new wires or pull or push or remove old wires.. any suggestions I am listening...I am in the process of re-building my clearance light system now..Not sure yet if I'll keep the old system and refresh it or drop it out and replace it with something ( new ) system.. I can and do have power to my passenger side upper clearance light...it is run from the rear passenger side.....running light wiring as stated above by Linda.... Hope this helps... I'll drop back by to add to this later..It is July 2018...Good luck !