Furnace on the Fritz and it's Still Cold in the Rockies

The furnace in my 1986 Class C Dolphin stopped firing. The blower comes on when heat is called for, but the burner doesn't fire.

I pulled the igniter and set the thermostat to call for heat, but I didn't see the igniter fire. Perhaps it doesn't work this way, but that is what I tried.

When the furnace was working there was a ( less than 30 second) delay between the blower starting and the burner firing.

Can anyone please give me some insight or a link to a troubleshooting/repair guide.? The information on a tag on this unit says:

Terralab Engineering S/N 1215014 Gas Fired Heating Unit

Thanks.

I assume it's an Atwood Hydroflame furnace? As I recall, Terralab had their name on them but did not design or build them.

You said you "pulled the ignitor." Is this a pilot light model with piezo ignitor, or a model with an electric automatic ignitor?

Makes a big difference in diagnosing problems.

Sail switch is the number one problem. The blower may not be running fast enough to toggle the sail switch.

Does it fire up OK when your plugged into shore power or if the truck is running. if so, thats a sure sign of the sail switch. It measures airflow in the blower to verify that the blower is running and a successfull combustion chamber purge cycle has taken place.

For testing purposes, you can use a jumper around the sail switch. DO NOT operate the furnace without the sail switch. its there to verify the blower is running.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Wow! Thanks for welcome and the timely reply with suggestions and manual.

I am not sure what the sail switch is or where it is located.

However, I just tapped the valve body (several times)where the gas supply goes to the unit and like magic, the burner fired.

I turned down the thermostat and the unit turned off. I turned the up the thermostat and the blower started in <10 seconds and the burner fired in ~15 seconds. I have repeated this twice.

I also got some more information off of the front panel that I didn't see earlier; might even be important

Model Number FA 7816 Model Suffix D

Hydro Flame Corporation, Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Thanks, again, for your help. Nice to be warm!