1987 pop-top Sunrader with 1 ton axle for $800

zero

I instantly fell in love with this thing the moment I saw it. $800 is pretty cheap for any 1987 Toyota RV. I just got done looking at an 18 foot fixed-roof Sunrader for $1500 when I found this thing. I did not know any Toyota pop-tops existed with full floating rears.

I'm trying to find a way to get it, but it's 1200 miles from me. Not sure I can get it done this time of year.

post-6578-0-41300800-1362496245_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I have one that looks similar to your picture. it lifts up manually with a crank handle and has great head room when lifted up.mine has a 22re engine.if the motor,tranny etc is decent that sounds like a great buy.

I have one that looks similar to your picture. it lifts up manually with a crank handle and has great head room when lifted up.mine has a 22re engine.if the motor,tranny etc is decent that sounds like a great buy.

So Gregor. Do you know what brand yours is. Got to be a tag somewhere

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Linda S: its a toyota model 75 d body type cb, i beleive its a catergory c. The crank up handle is about worn out.trying to find a used one maybe can have machine shop make one as last resort

If you mean 1975 year model it would probably be a Chinook. Have you asked on the toyota Chinook site on yahoo?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotachinook/

They know everything about the Chinook there. You might be able to find something that would work by searching for parts for a pop top camper trailer or truck camper. Many manufacturers used very similar parts.

Linda S

Linda S: its a toyota model 75 d body type cb, i beleive its a catergory c. The crank up handle is about worn out.trying to find a used one maybe can have machine shop make one as last resort

I have no idea what you have. Chinook-pop-ups on Toyotas and Chevy Blazers (Chalet and Casa Grande) don't crank-up. They use spring-pressure and a little push from humans. My Jayco Sportster slide-on truck-camper has a crank-up pop-up roof. The crank comes off and gets stowed when not being used. My Coleman Sequoia also has a crank-up top with a crank that comes-off and gets stowed away. Maybe one of them might be similar to your's.

linda s. it is a 1987 toyota sunrader the one with crank up top. the 75d is type # on title. the handle teeth are angled small in front and larger on the outside.does any of your crank up handle have teeth or are they like a pop up camper type that crank up on the outside of the camper?

jdemaris,

Where is this thing located? I love the pop-up sunders. Hard to find rigs.

Derek: i have posted a new pic. top left. the handle has 10 teeth similar to a drill chuck. i might be able to modify a drill chuck by filing the teeth of a chuck smaller and weld to a handle as a last resort as parts are hard to find.

I found another pop up handle with a gear on the end. Their pics aren't very good but maybe you could email them and get measurements to see if it would fit. Looks very much like yours

http://www.rvworkshop.com/index.php/products/heco-glide-up-crank

Linda S

The handle i have is a heco system. i will contact these people to see if it has 10 teeth on a bevel.heco used to be around sacramento,ca. i think they are into the gear business now

Thanks linda: That is the correct handle.I got rederirected to a website called canvasreplacement.com in wisc.telephone #800-232-2079, looks like a great site as they also have parts for other truck crank up toppers etc.The handle # is heco u-377a and they have a very good pic of unit and a detail pic of all parts for heco crank up system

Derek up north: thanks for the sugestions. if this new handle doesnt last,i may try the weld on. i read somewhere where a pop up owner was on his third handle. maybe he had a kayak or two on top while lifting.

On the sunrader pop up,when parked in a camp site etc.has anyone experience a 45 or 50 mile an hour wind and if so does the topper stand up ok.never owned one before and dont know how strong the top is but looking at it from the inside it looks durable as it is only up like 16 or 18 inches.

On the sunrader pop up,when parked in a camp site etc.has anyone experience a 45 or 50 mile an hour wind and if so does the topper stand up ok.never owned one before and dont know how strong the top is but looking at it from the inside it looks durable as it is only up like 16 or 18 inches.

Try asking here

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Toyota_Motorhome_Tech/

The owner of this site owned a sunrader pop up for several years and knows more about them than anyone. Ask for Bob

Linda S

I owned a popup camper, well being a slow learner I actually had two one is now a very nice flat bed trailer the other I sold after one season they are noisy, moisture condenses on the canvas and rains on you and are hard to heat makes me enjoy my hard side even more.

Gregor: I have a 1986 Sunrader PopTop and feel like I just found a long-lost relative. I thought I was the only one on this forum with a Sunrader PopTop. My '86 does not have the crank system for lifting the top; it is all muscle power. I looked into installing a gas struts to assist with raising the top and finally decided it was not worth it. It would be really difficult to secure the struts and I had considerable other work to do to make it comfortable for me. I have not had the PT Rader out in heavy wind. I would guess that while it would hold up fairly well, it would be pretty drafty as the wind would likely blow the screened vents open.

Welcome to the forum. Sue

Sue: I didn't know a manual push up were made. This one has a crank up handle by heco. it probably would be a undertaking to retro it.the windows on this one open with heavy zippers.I was told that a mixture of turpentine and linseed oil makes a good water repellent and preservative for the canvas. have you had to treat your canvas on your pop up with a commercial type?

Gregor: Is your canvas just canvas on the exterior of the poptop? On my Sunrader p t, the exterior of the canvase is coated with a plastic-like material that is waterproof. Velcro strips rather than zippers hold the canvas covers over the screens in the canvas top. I scrubed both the inside and the outside of the canvas last year and the outside looks almost brand new.

You can see what I have done to my Sunrader in the thread Adventures with the Adventure in the section on Improvements you have made... In addition, I replaced the seats in the cab with seats from an SR5.

Sue

It is canvas without any coating on either side. the screen wire is on outside and to get to exterior canvas you unzip it from inside and it drops down inside. I am going to look at your pics and hope you have a pic of the rear of your pt. this one has been changed and i don't know what original factory looked like. I had to tow this home as someone had wired it in reverse with a new set of wires they started off with # 1 as being toward fire wall. Drained the gas tank etc. now runs excellent. has plenty of go on level not tested on hills yet. Canvas replacement would be a job so better off to get some good commercial product to treat it with. don't want it to poof.

gregor

Yep. Replacing the canvas would be almost impossible so anything you can do to waterproof it would be better. The product that Karin suggested would likely be a very good choice. I had to unscrew the canvas in spots on the top edge to remove old headliner and it was difficult. The headliner and the canvas must have been put onto the top before the top was put on the rig---while the top was upside down and on the floor. I would rather have had zippers around my screen flaps as the velcro that holds the flaps in place is not working well. It was sewn on to both the flap and the main body of the canvas. Fixing the velcro is still toward the bottom of the long list of things that I want to fix or that really must be repaired. Wiring and rewiring is one of the on-going problems as connectors are failing and previous owners did odd things.

There are photos on a couple of Sunrader Adventure pop tops at Yahoo Toyota Mini-Motorhome Group . One is by dutch and titled 87 Sunrader Pop Top. This one shows the most factory original. The other picture is by bobs92504 and is titled Sunrader Adventure II.

Sue

found both set of pictures. my 87 missing the seal where the top meets the side.the back opening has a modified window that stays closed. a replacement hatch would be hard to find.otherwise everything else looks the same. gregor

Derek: Thanks for the link to the photobucket. I did not save it when it was up before.

Gregor: If you PM me with an address, I will mail you a sample of the trim that I used to replace the original trim around the top. I will also send you the name and address of the auto fabric company that I ordered the trim from. You might also be able to order it from All-trim http://www.all-rite.com I checked with several places around town and no one here seemed to have it. As Karin has pointed out, a boat canvas repair place may have it. I did not check with any of them.

I like the look of the replaced trim, but I believe the trim may be more for looks and protecting the rough edge of the fiberglass top than for protecting the motorhome from leaks. When I purchased mine in CA, I could push the top up with no problem, but after a week of rain in Washington, I could barely push the top up by myself. What I learned was that one of the previous owners had installed a vent on the roof which leaked. The water did not drip into the inside of the motorhome. The water ran through a couple of screw holes on the vent flange and into the foam that is sandwiched between the exterior and interior fiberglass of the roof. After the foam dried out, I sealed the vent and I can now push the top up pretty easily.