Carrying a scooter on a Toyota RV

bobar

I put a 50cc scooter on a modified hitch mounted luggage carrier on the back of Shasta. Luggage carrier sunk a little due to cutting carrier. I cut so wheel would fit as carrier was too short. I use ratchet straps to secure scoot to tie down holes in carrier. Sorry no picts

Hi. Put a 125 cc Yamaha Vino (600 lbs) on a two connect hitch custom with a scooter rack I adapted from a dual electric scooter rack. Not a hitch mount but two extra mounts that were installed on either side. Rides well, no loss in mileage. Cinched the scooter down to the rack everything OK. DouglasW on Gabriola

I'll be interested to hear how many have done this. I have a rack on the back of my Chinook, that I remember reading somewhere was specifically NOT for motorcycles...but it would be really nice to be able to put a scooter or light dirt bike on there.

I'm looking into this myself to make camping more convenient (like the always seeming oops I forgot something and need to run to the store). I'm toying with welding a hitch on the back or front then buying a small scooter or a trail 90 and a hitch carrier seems easier then buying a small trailer. Does anyone have any pics of motorcycles/scooters they carry and how to do it?

• 3 weeks later...

My son bought a smaller, but beefy rack from Harbor Freight that very securely hauls a 600 pound dirt bike on the back of his Honda Pilot. The rack was about $75. It's simple, clean and very sturdy. I've been thinking that it would fit really well on my Toy/Winnie. Currently I have a Suzuke Burgman that weighs in at 650 pounds, but I think it's too bulky to store on the back. I'd go for a 50cc-125cc simple, light weight scooter/bike with a big boot.

Edited by hawk

My son bought a smaller, but beefy rack from Harbor Freight that very securely hauls a 600 pound dirt bike on the back of his Honda Pilot. The rack was about $75. It's simple, clean and very sturdy. I've been thinking that it would fit really well on my Toy/Winnie. Currently I have a Suzuke Burgman that weighs in at 650 pounds, but I think it's too bulky to store on the back. I'd go for a 50cc-125cc simple, light weight scooter/bike with a big boot.

I regularly use this same harbor freight all aluminum carrier with two electric scooters that are capable of doing 35 MPH with a really nice range. Had them at the midwest rally last year and was able to get from campground all over the dells including to a boat tour and back again to the campground whilst towing the kids in a kid hauler. Same scoots served us well in the big easy as well as several michigan UP trips. I have several pics in my profile on these and their rack.

I wouldn't mount something that I will be touching and sitting on on the front. it would be coated in bugs... bugs that bite animals... nope. but would definitely be better on the weight distribution and could be covered maybe. my small scooters could easily be front mounted... hmmm. interesting idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m just scared to mount too much to my rear... heard lots of problems and don’t know what to believe.

I’m putting a small platform mount for our bicycles, fishing stuff and some firewood and that’s as far as I’m going for now.

To top it off, I weighed my '1991 21ft Conquest' the other day and empty (curb weight) was 5400 lbs when the GVW is 6000. only 600 to go for max? yikes... I’m real scared to mount anything. Me, petite wife, 12 yr old boy and our dog will put it close with our traveling weight.

I wish I could put my 720lb 2006 Harley Fatboy on the back but prob would never try unless someone has really good testimonials for it...

I attached a pic of the back of my rig with nothing on it before a hitch

post-7061-0-44337600-1365999933_thumb.jp

I think if the weight is supported by those frame stringers I see, you should be OK for 100 or 150 lbs.

My spare tire is mounted to the back wall (bolts go thru the wall to the inside). This also supports two bicycles that hang on the spare tire.

ALSO - Have you considered a small trailer for your Harley.

Two items to consider when adding heavy stuff.

1) Try and keep weight as far forward as you can.

2) If you do a trailer hitch or hang stiff on the frame members, Look at them and verify they really are frame members and that they can support the weight. i.e. People look at that rear bumper and think it really strong. its not, its made of thin metal, and will not support any appreciable weight.

WEIGHT - I'd be willing to bet most toyhouses when they hit the road fully loaded are over-gross. If you have the full floating rear axle, and the tires are in good shape (look at age, not thread) then don't loose sleep about being over-gross.

I ran mine across a scale a couple weeks ago. It was not packed for travel, no water, food, clothes, etc. I do keep stuff in it all the time, tools, spare parts, spare LP tank.

Weight

FRONT = 1540 lbs

REAR = 4240 lbs

TOTAL = 5780 lbs

When we went to Alaska a couple years ago, just before we left, I ran it across the scale fully loaded and ready to hit the road. Weighed in at 6700 lbs.

JOhn Mc

I think if the weight is supported by those frame stringers I see, you should be OK for 100 or 150 lbs.

My spare tire is mounted to the back wall (bolts go thru the wall to the inside). This also supports two bicycles that hang on the spare tire.

ALSO - Have you considered a small trailer for your Harley.

Two items to consider when adding heavy stuff.

1) Try and keep weight as far forward as you can.

2) If you do a trailer hitch or hang stiff on the frame members, Look at them and verify they really are frame members and that they can support the weight. i.e. People look at that rear bumper and think it really strong. its not, its made of thin metal, and will not support any appreciable weight.

WEIGHT - I'd be willing to bet most toyhouses when they hit the road fully loaded are over-gross. If you have the full floating rear axle, and the tires are in good shape (look at age, not thread) then don't loose sleep about being over-gross.

I ran mine across a scale a couple weeks ago. It was not packed for travel, no water, food, clothes, etc. I do keep stuff in it all the time, tools, spare parts, spare LP tank.

Weight

FRONT = 1540 lbs

REAR = 4240 lbs

TOTAL = 5780 lbs

When we went to Alaska a couple years ago, just before we left, I ran it across the scale fully loaded and ready to hit the road. Weighed in at 6700 lbs.

JOhn Mc

JOhn,

Ya think i can pull a small trailer for the 700 lb Harley? yikes... Think ill push it too much?

One of the worries I've seen expressed over a small trailer many times here is weight and braking ability of the Toy. Not once have I seen anything about anyone adding trailer brakes and a controller. It wouldn't help going up hills, but it sure would help in stopping on them! Are there kits to install drums and electric brakes on the small, lightweight trailers? Seems like it would be worth it if one is set on hauling more than 300-400 lbs.

Steve

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/photos/album/932151036/pic/793345559/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

Electric brakes for sure, Powder River Pass is 9660 ft.

Pics of the hitch and frame mods. The bumper is 3/16 wall, 4" tubing. Ever thing goes through the bumper to eleminate draging. Yes I can still fit a 12ft drain hose in each side of the bumper.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/photos/album/1700673623/pic/list

Brake kits here

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-trailer-parts+trailer-brakes+drum-brakes

I agree 100% with ^

What do you agree with?

I just may do the idea of a small trailer with some brakes... I like that one the best...

We live up in the Sierra's and it's no problem to get down the hill, one of the worries is just stopping when we get down! The other worry would be coming back up. Would my rear and tranny be ok? hummm

I agree with what Waiter says. the "^" was an arrow pointing up to his post as I don't like the quote overhead in responses.

you'd be fine with a breaking trailer as long as your frame is up to it.

I routinely run my rig with 170 lbs of electric scooters (two minis) on a bumper mounted hitch hauler from harbor freight.

• 2 weeks later...