Fixing a Chinook door and latch/lock assembly

zero

In the process of fixing the door in my 1978 Chinook. Original was very rotted. Construction was 1 X 2 wood frame nominal (actual 3/4" X 1 1/2"). Looks like cheap pine. Voids are filled with some sort of honeycomb cardboard and then all is frames in aluminum. I built a new frame from pressure-treated southern yellow pine and filled voids with 1 1/2" polyiso foam insulation.

Now the hurdle is the door latch. It was stuck and parts broken but I had a spare that came off a 1977 Chevy Blazer Chalet RV (also made by Chinook). This door latch is an oddball size and as far as I know - no new replacements available. Was used on Chinooks and Airstreams. Company was Keeler.

I"ve got the latch all fixed but now I'd like a key to lock/unlock from the outside. Seems the lock cylinder is also no longer available. I found some key blanks to fit the original lock cylinder so I'm making my own keys with a hand-file.

post-6578-0-41947100-1361294893_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-98924700-1361294896_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28020400-1361294901_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-45544600-1361294904_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-04415600-1361294907_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82878200-1361294910_thumb.jp

Nice work. I need to figure something out for mine. It works...but I'd like little more security than it offers. Could easily be popped open. I'll have to figure out some fabricated design. Mine is the weird split door design, so one lock on the top door, one lock on the bottom.

New tumblers are available for your keeler lock. Too many people restoring old Airstreams for someone to not make a replacement

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Keeler_Lock_Cylinder_p/vts-299.htm

Linda S

No, not available. I wish some of these places would update their Websites. I called over 50 places that show the Keeler parts on their Websites. In reality, none of them have had them in years. I spoke to the people at vingtage trailer. I was told they get several calls each day for people seeking Keeler lock parts and they are trying to find a new source.

I hate it when companies do that. You'd think they would update and stop all the calls.

Linda S

I suspect the problem is that few places ever actually stocked the parts. They just have the same catalogs and don't really discover the stuff is not available until someone tries to order it. But with the vintage trailer place - I don't know?? Since they told me they get daily calls for the part - they MUST know. I noticed one other thing I found a little strange. On the Keeler lock page they state the parts are used in Airstreams and ask for input if anyone knows of other RVs that use the Keeler (like my Chinook). Yet - if you look in their review section there are people with Chinooks who say they have the same Keeler locks.

Oh well. I was thrilled when I first found that vintage trailer place with the correct locks. Then after finding out that have not had them in a long time - I feel worse then when I started. Now I'm ticked off. Maybe I'm taking these old RVs too seriously.

Jdemaris-

Looks like you've got this door thing under control. I like your work. I can't imagine any of your rebuilds failing. As for the lock cylinder, I figure it's all part of the wacky world of vintage RV ownership. The more I dig into my '85 Dolphin, the more I realize that someday someone will probably name a psychiatric disorder after me...

John

What are the dimensions of your lock. There are quite a few modern locks that seem to be the same shape and size.

http://www.dyersonline.com/ap-products-chrome-travel-trailer-lock-fastec.html

http://www.dyersonline.com/fastec-black-travel-trailer-lock-with-deadbolt.html

Tons more on ebay but just an example

Linda S

Thanks for looking around.

It's around 6 1/4" X 4 1/4". I can't say I've looked at every lock out there but checked many. That being said, I could modify the door and use just about anything of any size. Just prefer to keep it somewhat original if possible. I found some Bargman locks that are very close that were used in Airstreams. They are for sale "used"and with price tags near $300. For that kind of money, I'd just modify the door and use some lock new and cheaper.

• 5 years later...

I bought one and installed in my 77 Chinook.  Mine was 1.25 long.  The ones I can get are a perfect fit.  turn to right back to center to lock and remove key.  turn to left back to center to unlock.  Sure easy.  To remove your old core, you will need to take out 3 screws on back cover.  see photo.. These are seriously hard to find.. You need to pull out the one you have to make sure it is the 1.25 inch length.  if you have the short one contact me directly.  I think i can get them.. Old stock and may be able to get a few more..

f.jpg

• 2 years later...