need info on cutting the upper bed foam

teamhoneydo

We just bought something - an 88 who knows what - maybe a dolphin. The title says something else like 22R something or other. It looks like a Dolphin but doesn't say that anywhere. Bathroom in the back model... We got it for 1,000 bucks and it's at the mechanics as I speak getting a new timing belt and rear shocks. We don't even know if anything works and you can see daylight in areas you shouldn't - but hey, the price was right and we drove it 3 hours home on a wing and a prayer...

Anyway, we are gutting the carpets, already re-cut and upholstered the rotting foam for the dining area and bought a queen size foam for the top. The thing is, there was nothing there to slide in to the hole for the top bunk when the bed is in use. I can't find any pics or specs of that piece or if it's designed to have a separate cut out cushion or one like a Dodge where the plywood is sewn right into the upholstery and you just fold it up when not in use... I realize a queen foam isn't what normally goes there - probably more like a double but I have a handy hubbie that can do anything.

Can anyone tell me what ours are supposed to have? I'm tempted to go knock on someone's door that has one but figured I'd try here first. I'm thinking we'll have to make some kind of extension for the support of the bed anyway but perhaps if the Toyota’s have this same system of plywood inside - any ideas welcome. Pics would be wonderful if you have them.

Oh, and I read the laminate posting... We were considering that as - well, we have kids and a dog and who wants to vacuum??? Anyone else have a bad experience with laminate? I thought they were making stuff that didn't get all warped with water now...???

Lastly, we really need a manual for all the appliances etc. Know where you can come by these???

Thanks in advance for any help. Becca

Edited by teamhoneydo

Here is a pcture of mine, which is still exactly how it was from the factory. The plywood is "built in" to the cushion, but it is a loose piece that is simply laid on top of the front cushions when not in use. There is a generous overlap all around the edges. Don't make this too small or it will be unstable.

gallery_761_115_5891.jpg

Take a look at my album here 86 Dolphin album You have to scroll past the Colorado pictures..... If yours looks like this than it is clearly a Dolphin. Mine is not in the best shape, but it seems yours had a hard time.

For help with the appliances, go to this page: http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/technical.htm

Look at the list of links on the left.

Regards

Keith

Anyway, we are gutting the carpets, already re-cut and upholstered the rotting foam for the dining area and bought a queen size foam for the top. The thing is, there was nothing there to slide in to the hole for the top bunk when the bed is in use. I can't find any pics or specs of that piece or if it's designed to have a separate cut out cushion

Oh, and I read the laminate posting... We were considering that as - well, we have kids and a dog and who wants to vacuum??? Anyone else have a bad experience with laminate? I thought they were making stuff that didn't get all warped with water now...???

My 1981 diesel Mini Cruiser has a sliding piece of plywood which goes totaly across the hole (side to side) and 4 loose cushions. I will take a pic of it tomorrow morning and let you see. Using something like this would be a lot simpler to recreate than the large U shape with the center "plug" that other units use as all 4 cushions are the same size.

As far as flooring, have you considered roll vinyl. That is a good option if you do not want carpet.

I will take a pic of it tomorrow morning and let you see.

post-794-1181956630_thumb.jpg

post-794-1181956647_thumb.jpg

post-794-1181956661_thumb.jpg

post-794-1181956675_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Mine looks like the first pic (potentially). I think I'll do a modified version of the second though to give support to the extra foam I've cut. I wish I could see your link for the album you've posted but every time I click on it, it goes to one small pic of a camping spot or something and then nothing else and I have to close the whole link (and forum site). Can you re-post it?

I JUST FOUND IT!!! This is what a 91 version of mine looks like. A few more bells and whistles but same lay out. Mine has an awning and mold and holes and stains and well, needs a tonne of work! But now I know I have a Dolphin micro mini... with 88,000 miles...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...hlink:middle:us

Edited by teamhoneydo

Hi Becca, fellow newbie!

"Lastly, we really need a manual for all the appliances etc. Know

where you can come by these???"

I was able to find a Dometic Installation and operating Instructions

online. It covers the RM2300 RM2400 RM2500 RM2600 and RM2800.

I don't know where I found it, but I'm sure I googled the model #. I

can't find the saved file on my computer, but if you need it I can look

further. I also found info on the Parallax Converter and an upgrade

kit for the model in my Dolphin. It's from the www.parallaxpower.com

site.

I contacted National RV in Calif. and they sent me this PDF File of the

owner's manual. If you can't download it, then contact:

jhowland@nationalrv.com . Jennifer sent me one really quickly and

they are very nice people. National Makes the current Dolphin and

Seabreeze rvs and has some info about the old Toyotas.

We got our little messy beast in the spring and are full bore on its

refurbishment. Ours too was a good price, but a lot of sweat equity

required for the "dream" to be realized.

Good luck.

Kim

1986_87ClassCDolph_Owners_Manual.pdf