Air Conditoner

PixieChick

Ok so now we move on to the air conditioner...The guy told me it works, so I didn't bother to check it, but after turning it on to try it out, there is absolutely nothing~no sound coming from it at all. Is there some main switch somewhere that i should be looking for, or, a a plug in or...? It's a coleman btw.

that's a very good question, Derek...I've got it plugged into our power supply, but...we do have solar elec, and I'm not totally sure where the amps are at the moment. hmmmmm might just be the problem

Yeah boy that would take a whopper of an inverter and a lot of batteries. Try it with the MH plugged in to house power.

no no, i just meant that I had it plugged into our house electric, which is generated by solar, but not sure how full those batteries were at that time and if that made a dif. I'll try a direct connect with the generator next and see what that does.. :)

There are circuit breakers somewhere in the Rv. The main incoming power and a seperate one for the A/C. Check those. While you are at it. Dig out your volt meter and see if you have power and how much power to the RV from the solar system.

Yeah boy that would take a whopper of an inverter and a lot of batteries. Try it with the MH plugged in to house power.

There are "overnight" air conditioning kits made for sleeper cabs in big-rig trucks that must have the engines shut off. Made to run off of batteries and some use inverters (and some use direct DC). 8000 BTUs and the kits use their own dedicated pair of deep cycle batteries. Draws 45 amps when running. That gives some perspective and how much battery and inverter power it takes to run AC. When running with a 50% duty cycle (running half the time) it uses 350 watts per hour. A pair of deep cycle batteries can run it 6-8 hours. A 1500 watt "sine-wave" inverter can run it. Not a cheap mod-wave since modified-wave inverters do not get along with electric motors very well (lose 40% efficiency).

Since big rig trucks are being disallowed to park with the engines running, they have become "campers." Lot of interesting stuff coming out for them. ACs, refrigerators, little cook ovens, etc.

http://www.arcticbreeze-truckac.com/content/arcticbreezeintro.html

Interesting article Jdemaris...I've seen these kind of evaporative coolers. They can actually be made very cheaply (about $35) from an ice chest filled with ice or dry ice, and a simple set of duel fans. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. I actually prefer an evap system or swamp cooler to AC... which is how we )cool our yurt down in this Northern Cali heat. Works best in dry heat though, (which is the only kind of heat that i want to be in anyway! I don't plan on using it much if at all on the road where I'll be hanging out. a simple fan to drown out truckers occasionally perhaps, but I'll be thankful to know my system and how it all works.

Bob-that's what I needed to know. With something that big, I assumed it might need it's own power.

The sun is out nice and bright today so I'll have full batteries by noon so I'll know more this afternoon.

Interesting article Jdemaris...I've seen these kind of evaporative coolers. They can actually be made very cheaply (about $35) from an ice chest filled with ice or dry ice, and a simple set of duel fans.

You've got me a little confused. That truck AC unit is a compressor type air conditioner that uses 134A refrigerant. Works on the same principal as a roof top AC unit on an RV. No ice used, regardless if made from water or carbon dioxide (dry ice).

I'm well acquanited with ice-cooling. My little Toyota Chinook came with an ice-box instead of a frige. I also help out in a local ice cutting event year. We cut ice from the pond and store it all summer in ice-house filled with saw-dust. The small dairy farms around here, back in the 1800s built their milk houses on creeks when possible. Used the cold water flowing through for milk cooling.

sorry to confuse you, I was talking about this: Not the same thing you were getting at, but my version anyway! http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-12V-Air-Conditioner---Cheap-and-easy!/

YAY! It works!! :) Now then....hoping the thermostat is the ONLY reason there is no heat in the cab and that she'll smog~then everything will be in working order as far as I can see.

Edited by PixieChick

• 6 months later...