Lighting the Oven

PixieChick

I cannot seem to get my oven to light. When turned to pilot and pressing in, it ignites ok, but will not ignite the big bar...any ideas? It's a Wedgewood. Oh, and the burners all work.

I cannot seem to get my oven to light. When turned to pilot and pressing in, it ignites ok, but will not ignite the big bar...any ideas? It's a Wedgewood. Oh, and the burners all work.

Is the oven pilot staying lit once you release the over-ride button? If not - your pilot jet may be partially clogged (common) and not heating up the thermocoupler properly. It has to get hot and send a "hot" signal to the gas valve so the gas will come on.

If the pilot DOES stay lit once you release the button but the burner will not come on - you've got either a gas-valve problem or a thermostat problem.

if everything is correct after the pilot is lit and you turn the knob to a higher temp it takes a few minutes the pilot should get larger and then the main burner should light .

unless of course the thermo is not being heated enough. I did a thread on this as I found my wedgwood had an improperly factory installed thermo. 1986 motor home had an oven so clean it looked like it was 2012 model year oven inside... because no one ever got it to work in the history of owners. The fix is simple.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4457&hl=%2Bstove+%2Bwon%26%2339%3Bt+%2Blight

Both my MH and the tow behind had ovens that worked perfectly that had never been used. I cooked some toast once in the MH and did baked potato's in the camper a task I'll never do again unless it was 20 degrees outside.

Both my MH and the tow behind had ovens that worked perfectly that had never been used. I cooked some toast once in the MH and did baked potato's in the camper a task I'll never do again unless it was 20 degrees outside.

i've considered baking a potato as well but thanks for the heads up.

I use my oven a lot and it worked great when I got it but it too looked like it had never been used. I guess if you don't bake at home, your not going to bake on the road but I meet a lot of new friends cause of the smells wafting out of my motorhome. California just passed a law that allows me to sell home baked goods if I get a permit. Might be able to pay for my trips by baking on site. I've been giving it away

Linda S

I am a recovering Pizza and Stromboli addict and love to make pies in mine. The problem with the RV oven is its psuedo broil setting. without a pizza stone to help deflect the underneath heat; a regular pie will burn on the bottom yet be raw-ish on top. At deer camp we tried making a few pizzas all at once and it was crazy the other camper had the exact same stove and problem, raw ish top.

My solution to this is to use my camp fire pizza maker or if I have shorepower to use the newly acquired Pizzaz rotary oven. The pizzaz rotates the pie through two small heating coils on top and bottom. it can do wings or anything really, even baked potatoes without heating the crap out of the RV. It was a holiday gift. I am mounting it to one of the collapsible drafting brackets that I had asked folks what would be a good use for in a previous thread. so the Pizzaz wil be wall mounted and essentially replace my propane oven if I have shore for pizza. If I upgrade my inverter to a 1500 continuous that can run that thing for 15 minutes problem solved; and I will tear out the gas oven and stick a mini microwave in its former cavity.

WE SHARE LINDAS SENTEMENTS WE LIKE OUR OVEN THERE NOT PURFECT BUT WE FEEL NICE DID ABOUT TEN POTATOS AT ONCE LAST TRIP no problem

It turns out that I wasn't waiting long enough for it to light is all...It's been so long since that I've had to light one!

I do like to bake bread and goodies so this is great news...I'll be taking my solar sun oven, but this will cover me on those cloudy days.

I happily pulled out the micro as I don't use it, but was thinking I'd have to put in a convection oven, but now that's another solved problem.. Thanks Again all of you.

I had the same problem with my '82 Sunrader with the Wedgewood range/oven. It turned out to be the thermocoupler, which looks like a 4-inch copper round bar about a 1/4-inch in diameter had come loose from over the pilot light. It needs to be placed with a clip so it is being heated by the pilot light. Then when the sensor tells the gas valve that there is indeed a flame your main burner should come on when you adjust the knob from "low temp" to whatever higher temp you set it on. I thought my thermocoupler was a temperature sensor (which it is) for the temperature of the oven, not the indicator for the gas to come on in the main burner. Hope this helps.

My wife and I love to pick up "take and bake" bread while we are traveling. There is nothing like fresh bread. It would make Alpo taste good.