• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And you think Toyota MH are slow into a headwind

The vixen gets 30 mpg even. Tested...

The asiaan market diesel hiace motorhomes get over 30mpg but they are more a camper van. Class b.

The Vixen (with BMW diesel) in real-world use gets 18 MPG at 70 MPH, 20 MPG at 65 MPH, and 23-25 MPG at 55 MPH. No different that a Volkswagen powered Rialta. A Toyota Chinook with a gas 2.2 can get 20 MPG at 55 MPH. Here in NY considering the price difference between gas and diesel - the Chinook could go 100 miles for a little over $18. A diesel Vixen would do the 100 miles for the same cost.

The Vixen with the GM 3.8 does a lot worse.

Even the BMW car with the same diesel the Vixen used was not very impressive for a diesel. The 524TD car got 30-34 MPG. The Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo-diesel a little less.

No Hiace when loaded down for camping gets 30 MPG (miles per USA gallon). 15 liters per 100 Km - 15-16 MPG USA, or 18-19 in Canadian - European Imperial gallons.

There are no "magic" diesel motorhomes out there. The smaller ones with less wind-resistance and small engines all top out at 23-25 MPG with turbo-diesels and 20-30% less with gas engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vixen_(RV)

average of 30 mpg. Every single one with the diesel gets over 30 mpg.

tested in road and track 32 mpg.

hiace diesel. Gets 35 mpg in non motorhome form.

http://www.toyotafans.net/hiace-diesel-campervan-jap-import-mpg-on-a-trip-out-t24110.htm

at least 30 mpg in real life.

http://vixenrv.org/L...HOME 6-8-04.pdf

the vixen actually had 30 mpg with the 3.0 liter isuzu. with the 2.4 liter bmw motor it can get to 34 mpg. totally verified in all reviews... no idea where any of your figures come from as usual

tested 34.8 mpg on the track at 55 mph.

average of 30 mpg. Every single one with the diesel gets over 30 mpg.

tested in road and track 32 mpg.

"... 30.73 mpg at 55 mph." At a CONSTANT 55mph (and no idea how 'loaded), so not exactly 'real world'. But impressive all the same.

Source: http://vixenrv.org/Local/THE%20HISTORY%20OF%20THE%20VIXEN%20MOTOR%20HOME%206-8-04.pdf

http://vixenrv.org/L...HOME 6-8-04.pdf

the vixen actually had 30 mpg with the 3.0 liter isuzu. with the 2.4 liter bmw motor it can get to 34 mpg. totally verified in all reviews... no idea where any of your figures come from as usual

tested 34.8 mpg on the track at 55 mph.

No it was NOT verifed in any real world use at those figures. You seem to be one of the people for falls for BS and believes in the magic "diesel fairy." None exists. I've read countless fuel logs kept by users of Vixens and many other "high mileage" RVs. Same goes with users of the Hiace with gas and diesel. I think you suffer from the "grass is greener" syndrome.

The same sort of magazine reviewers claimed Chevy diesel Blazer got 30 MPG when they first came out in 82 (18-20 MPG is what they really get). They also said the Chevette diesel got 60 MPG (actually gets a best of 46 MPG). They also claimed the Toyota Chinook MPG with the 2.2 gas got over 30 MPG!. Yes, what you call " verified" becaues it was in a magazine.

I got to use a BMW 545 with the diesel years back. A 1986. It barely got 34-34 MPG at absolute best and that was just a car. You think that sticking that same motor in a heavier RV is going to get the same mileage or better? Pure BS. I've been hearing these silly stories for 50 years. I put them in the same mental-box as the magical "Pogue 100 MPG carburetor."

the diesel 5 series would be called the 524

every single user log Ive seen of the vixen was over 30 mpg including 35 mpg and more. never ever seen whatever youre making up.

the gas version was at 20 mpg

http://www.vixenrv.org/viki/tiki-index.php?page=HomePage

I dont know what to say every single owner seems to get over 30 mpg... I wonder where the 18 mpg owners are...

"... 30.73 mpg at 55 mph." At a CONSTANT 55mph (and no idea how 'loaded), so not exactly 'real world'. But impressive all the same.

Source: http://vixenrv.org/L...HOME 6-8-04.pdf

Read the actual fuel-use logs kept by Vixen owners and you get more of a picture of what it gets in real usage. The Vixen site has logs kept by owner of Vixens with the Beemer diesels and also the GM 3.8s. None get anywhere near 30 MPG.

the modern bmw 524 td gets 50 mpg. it won an interesting road and track race across europe with a prius.

The m21 td in its day was a lot more advanced than a mercedes or vw motor in that its ohc. Even todays vw tdi I believe. It was sort of kept from the us market as it would blow our mind too much.

diesels in america are like the crappy one you have an ancient truck motor. base

in the vixen it still blows away anything sold today as new except the sprinter to the us market, so it ages well. certainly compared to anything for sale except the sprinter.

I only read it once, but my source (which appears to be the same as your source) says the 34.6 mpg was with the Isuzu engine and not the BMW (actually built by VM) diesel.

ok thats great derek.... thanks?

the diesel 5 series would be called the 524

every single user log Ive seen of the vixen was over 30 mpg including 35 mpg and more. never ever seen whatever youre making up.

Claiming I'm "making stuff up" is a childish way to attempt to make your point. Have you ever actually owned and used a diesel long term?

There are many fuel-use logs on one of the Vixen enthusiet sites and also in some of the want-ads wher owners are trying to sell them.

As for the Hiace -there are several owners with their fuel use logs posted on www. fuelly.com

http://www.fuelly.com/

As to the BMW - I probably have the model # wrong. I'm not a BMW expert or enthusiest. I worked for a John Deere and BMW dealer in the 80s - the two shops were side by side and owned by my boss. We had a 86 BMW 5 series with the 2.5 diesel and beat the heck out of it. Also had a lot of weight in it. Barely got 30 MPG on the best fills. High 20s was more like it. At that time, I took ownership of a Mercedes trade-in. A 1984 with a 3 liter, 5 cylinder turbo-diesel. 26 MPG was the best it ever got. By today's standards that's a joke considering gas cars with more power are breaking 30 MPG. I still have a pair of 1992 Volkswagen diesel Jettas and they can get 50 MPG on a long flat drive. Small 1.6 liter engines though. I also have a 1985 Isuzu 2.2 liter diesel mini-truck with 4WD. That gets a best of 29 MPG. Also have a 1986 diesel Chevy Blazer Chalet that gets a best of 16 MPG. Also have two 1981 Chevy diesel Chevettes with 1.8 engines. Used to get a best of 47 MPG and now around 45 MPG. I assume the drop is due to the less BTUs in the newer diesel fuel.

ya the old mercedes and the old bmw are miles apart for gas mileage. the old mercedes gets gas mileage... well similar to a gas car really.

its super reliable though.

I actually own a m20 car right now, which is the gas version of the m21 in the vixen.... its ina smaller car called a 325 ic and it gets 26 mpg.

its possible you had a bmw 524td. The thing is its way rarer than a bmw vixen at this point. Most were in canada. I think it did get 35 mpg.

I think the diesel chevette is also the same engine in the isuzu diesel truck.

as far as gas mileage per liter and weight, the m21 would beat all the diesel engines you listed, even the jetta.

it is a 2.4 though. port injection sohc more modern than all the ones you own or list.

so its nnot that any of your experience is worthless for you to guesstimate its just that the bmw m21 is better than any of them...

ya actually the weight of the vixen is about 1000-1200 pounds more than a 524 td..... so the fact that its a manual and geared high for the freeway adds up to over 30 mpg already. definitely not 18 mpg.

I think the diesel chevette is also the same engine in the isuzu diesel truck.

Diesel Chevette uses a 1.8 Isuzu diesel (Isuzu converted gas engine). Same as used in the Imark.

Isuzu PUP truck and Trooper, Chevy S10, S10 Blazer and Chevy LUV used the Isuzu 2.2 - another converted gas engine and totally different from the 1.8.

ya actually the weight of the vixen is about 1000-1200 pounds more than a 524 td..... so the fact that its a manual and geared high for the freeway adds up to over 30 mpg already. definitely not 18 mpg.

There is no "linear" gain to fuel mileage by gearing higher and dropping RPMs. Unless the engine power is adequte -too high gearing just makes the engine labor and work harder. It all has to be balanced. No way that Vixen in real useage, loaded for camping and travelling and moving at 65-70 MPH is going to get anywhere near 30 MPG. Like I said earlier, there are no "magic" diesels out there. Usually the only people who believe in them are the ones that don't own and/or use them. 20-30% better then some gassers doing same work? Yes. But diesel fuel is often15-20% more per gallon then gas and diesel engines are more expensive to maintain. So the way diesel is going in this county - it's overall value keeps dropping.

ohhh ive seen the old isuzu pick up with a 1.8 liter engine but I think thats a side track

oh exactly a chevy luv

they are desireable as veggie fuel trucks.

Isuzu never sold a diesel PUP truck with a 1.8 in the USA or Canada. Just the 2.2. Dodge mini Ram -50 had a small Mitsubishi diesel and Ford Rangers had Mazda/Perkins diesels. IH Scout had the Nissan diesel. Toyota in the USA used their own diesel (a real dog). Jeep used a Perkins diesel.

hiace diesel. Gets 35 mpg in non motorhome form.

http://www.toyotafans.net/hiace-diesel-campervan-jap-import-mpg-on-a-trip-out-t24110.htm

at least 30 mpg in real life.

You've really got to start reading things 3 times. The MPG figures you've lead us to are from England, so a 25% bigger gallon. The 2 posters reported 30MPG(Imp), so ~24MPG(US).

if someone takes your free flow estimates of numbers as some sort of representation of reality thats there problem I guess. I think someone not exposed to them might but I dont think anyone else would so I dont need to warn them.

Oh maybe it does whatever lol.

The normal van gets over 35 mpg. you can look up if there are any american owners of it if youve got nothing to do this evening derek

it is actually listed as 43 mpg.... if that is a european figure that might be lower.

http://www.carpages....on_07_10_02.asp

im pretty sure all gas mileage estimates are unladed.

my record with my toyhome was completely unloaded too.

OK, EXACTLY 30MPG(Imp) is EXACTLY 24MPG(US). :)

I didn't realize there were many US owners of the Diesel Hi-Ace. Are you sure they're US owners and not Canadian (or other parts of the World where they use the Imperial Gallon)?

there are almost no us owners of the toyota hiace as it was never sold here.... do you know where your pills are?

actually the hiace rv isnt really in europe even its big in mainland asia. all of them are imports or uk european rhd.

If youu are interested in its exact gas mileage you should educate yourself about it. Then check out jds estimates... then never look at his estimates again or even ask what they are based on. I guess.

Are you guys sure you banned the annoying spammers?