Vancouver Island Toy-In 2013

Ron 'n Sue

I believe I paid about $65 each way for the ferry ride. You can go either from Pt Angeles on Black Ball ferry or from Tsawwassen on the BC Ferry (about half hour north of the border}. Last year we were at Living Forest Camp Ground and the ferry landing at Duke's Point was just a couple miles from the camp ground.... very convenient. Living Forest was a gorgeous campground, near town, but a nicely forested spot overlooking the water. At the end of the rally last year, as people started to mull over a get together for 2013, there was discussion of going to a different campground area. I don't think there was any consensus.

Ron and Sue you have camped all over the Island, do you have some additional suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to Everyone: Good to see that there is already some interest in the "Third Annual Vancouver Island ToyIn" (if I can be excused for presuming to give it a name already!). Irene and I arranged the last two get togethers and we wouldn't mind doing it again this year if there is enough interest out there. So, first thing is to ask you to indicate whether you would be interested in having such an event on Vancouver Island this summer, comment on the location: either have it at Living Forest again or somewhere else. And finally, give an idea of your preferred time frame ... keeping in mind that we should avoid the July 1 and July 4 holidays for pretty obvious reasons related to travel and ferries. For our part, we have looked at a number of other sites on the Island but keep coming back to Living Forest (google it if you're not familiar with it) because it has so many positive aspects to it ... lovely location, beautifully kept park, close to the ferry terminal, close to Nanaimo for all the facilities and attractions of this nice city, etc etc. Anyway ... I'll be watching this board for indications of interest and we'll all decide if, when and where after everyone has had a chance to respond. Hope to hear from lots of you ... at this early point a simple indication of interest is probably enough to decide whether to go forward with more detailed planning at a later date. Cheers to all, Wayne & Irene

• 3 weeks later...

We have visited many RV parks on Vancouver Island, and yes, we agree, Wayne, that Living Forest is certainly one of the best. As the main thing about a Toy-In is the wonderful people who attend, the park is secondary. But in the case of Living Forest, the proximity to the ferry is certainly important.

In our humble opinion, Living Forest is one of the best on the island. Several others could be contenders but for convenience the location is is pretty much perfect. Others that might be 'okay' are further away from the ferry and are so we wouldn't recommend them.

If a location near the water is important to you, you don't want to be stuck somewhere inland. Also if you like some clear sky above you, then, instead of being surrounded by trees with little daylight, you'd want to avoid some locations, like provincial parks.

Our vote goes with Living Forest.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Hi all

I was just coming on to start a thread for this , great to see every one is thinking summer and camping

I Was hoping to put it out there that we go some where different this year. Coombs country camp site is nice. www.coombscampground.com/

It is open , has group sites or single sites with all hookups, 5 mins from goats on the roof and it is cheaper than Living forest, and it is nice and open too. I was also thinking maybe a bocce game or two ( i have balls) would be nice. something else to do. what is everyones thoughts on moving it. :bye2:

Edited by Chattycat52

We visited Coombs last fall to check it out. It is close to Coombs market which is a neat place to visit. As I recall, prices for full hookups were about the same as Living Forest. It has a group area, but the shelter is small, the entrances to the shelter are really low ... bumped my head a couple of times. The shelter has 'electricity' if you count the extension cord hanging from the ceiling. I think the nicer and larger shelter at Living Forest is a definite advantage if we encouter rainy weather. We found the Coombs campsite to be not very clean and there were dozens of kids running around and making lots of racket. The location is about an additional half hour's drive from Living Forest, so anyone from off island would have further to drive. Frankly, we found the Coombs RV park to be much less attractive. That's just our opinion, however, since you did ask. I would still vote for Living Forest over the Coombs site. Cheers, Wayne

Just a footnote for U.S. folks. Due to 9/11 you are now required to have a valid passport to enter Canada. Drivers license alone will no longer work.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Blueberry team: at this point we are just looking to get an idea of how many might be interested, so we can decide whether or not to hold this Toy In. The last two years we have looked at late June, but we could really have it any time in the warm weather. That would typically be June, July and August. Even early September might work. Of course we want to avoid holiday weekends for traffic and ferry reasons. See my message of 9 Feb above for a bit more info and check out the messages on this site about last year's event. Cheers, Wayne

i would love to do this

I have been dreaming about going to vancouver island with my rv since i got it.

somehow side tracked into portland.

a little worried about getting turned out of canada from some arrest from 20 years ago or something

Hello Wayne, the Great Van Isle Organizer. Ron and Rose have attended the last two Vancouver Island Toy Ins, and would definitely be interested in year 3.

I was out for my daily walk and noted a new addition one block over. A 91 Toyota Odyssey had appeared. Introducing myself to the new owner. One of the many items I mentioned was the Vancouver Island Toy In. These folks have a 9 and a 6 year old so they would like to see another family with kids sign up for this event. (Bunneys are you listening). In the mean time I will ask that he join the forum.

Hi Ron and Rose: Glad to hear you are interested in attending a 3rd edition of the Vancouver island Toy In. (Hope your new neighbours and the Bunney's will decide to come as well.) Like you, we recently met some Toy owners in our neighbourhood and encouraged them to join this forum and the next Toy In, assuming we go ahead with one this summer. I hope interested folks will respond and perhaps give an early indication of a preferred time frame. Cheers, Wayne & Irene

Hi Wayne and Irene---Great Van Isle Organizers: I have all of last year's leaks fixed...(hope PT doesn't spring any new ones before the rally). Planning to attend where ever you have it on Van Isl. It would be great to see everyone. Living Forest is a really lovely area and I'd go there again in a flash. My friends from N Saanich just spent a couple of days here and they suggested Riverman Falls Park. I googled the area and while the park is beautiful, the pictures of RV parks around there were stark and bare looking, some had limited hook-ups. The end of June works for me although the threat of rain is greater. A second choice would be after the first of September. The later date may not work for families with children in school. It would be nice to get it nailed down soon. Sue--with PT Rader (pop top Sunrader)

Hi Sue: The last weekend in June flows right into the July 1 (Monday) holiday, so that would be a bad choice since reservations at the campground, not to mention ferry and road traffic, would all be really bad. The previous weekend, 21-23 June could work as could any weekend in July after the 4 July holiday. The weather in July would likely be warmer and dryer although school is out by then and campground reservations will be somewhat tighter. (Not a problem if we book far enough in advance.)

How about some input from some other potential Vancouver Island Toy In campers? Wayne

Hi Wayne & Irene,

Living Forest end June/early July would be great for us. Anytime actually after the first of May, when we are planning to initiate our insurance.

We too visited Coombs Country and were NOT impressed. Sorry Cathy.

We have visited lots of places on Van. Island and our favourite is Living Forest.

There is an inland one that might work though, called Mountainaire, although we haven't been there for a couple years so don't know if they would have suitable space.

We didn't much care for Chemainas Gardens.

There is a nice place - Qualicum Bay Resort - we stayed at with another club that isn't at all bad. Not on the oceon though.

Anyway, regardless of where, count us in.

Sue & Ron

in Toy Rig

• 2 weeks later...

Let's Set a Date and Location for the 2013 (3rd Annual) Vancouver Island Toy In

I'm pretty sure there's a good level of interest in this event and that many of you are holding back until you know where and when. Fair enough. As the self-appointed organizer ... with no other potential organizers stepping forward ... I'm announcing that we'll hold this Toy In at Living Forest RV park, just south of Nanaimo on the weekend of 21 - 23 June 2013. As before, we'll book our own sites and try to get them in the vicinity of the covered patio area adjacent to site 214. I will book the covered patio itself for our group for the Friday and Saturday evenings so we will have a cozy place to hold our dinner events in the event of rain ... or even if it doesn't rain. I strongly recommend that we book sites early. You can always cancel as long as you follow the RV park's cancellation policy which is explained on their website.

For now it would be great to have an indication of how many people might be interested in attending. I'm always open to questions, so feel free to ask me anything at all about the park, ferries, etc etc. Look forward to meeting lots of new and "old" Toyota campers. Cheers, Wayne & Irene

Stamar- If your "offense" has been 20 years ago......It is quite fun....they will do a computer search....and later they will come back and say, "The country of Canada considers you REHABILITATED!!!" MY WIFE TURNS TO ME AND SAYS, GOSH A WHOLE COUNTRY CONSIDERS "US" REHABILITATED.....COOL!!!!" We were both laughing and the Border Gaurds frown let us know we better leave before he changed his mind. So if you have been law abiding for a number of years.....you too can be told you are rehabilitated!!!!! Go for it!!! Les and Jane......Rehabilitated!!!!!

If your "offense" has been 20 years ago.......they will do a computer search....and later they will come back and say, "The country of Canada considers you REHABILITATED!!!

Wonder if the U.S. is the same? I rather doubt they are as forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

just surfing, when i found this cool site, will confirm with better half whether we are avail. hoping to book site as soon as i know. any sugestions on which sites, are we doing group or does it matter which sites? we canadians are a forgiving bunch!!! will post pics. later.

We've Booked Our Site!

We just booked site 171 for 21-23 June. Have a look at the park map on the Living Forest website. You will see a covered picnic shelter symbol next to site 213. Our site is across the little road at 171. I recommend you book a site in that general area so we can have our Toys relatively together. It would be nice if everyone posted their site numbers after booking so we can all get an idea of who's coming. Hope to see lots of you there. Cheers, Wayne & Irene

Hi; we have already jumped the gun, we booked saturday morning. our site number# is t15 it's a good distance away from the covered site so we will be doing some walking. There will be the two of us: my better half Gloria and myself Robert . Look forward to meeting everybody . Does anyone know if there is fishing available? Tight lines everybody

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a 91 Itasca spirit for the last three years. It is a fixer upper but we like it. I happen to live in Nanaimo and would like to join in on the fun. Is there any thing I need to know that isn't already in this post? Do I just book a spot and show up ect... Look forward to seeing everyone's mhomes and making some new friends.

Thanks Jay

Hi Jay and all other Toy In campers: To take part in the Vancouver Island Toy In simply make your own reservation for 21-23 Jun. As suggested above, try to choose a site nearthe shelter beside site 214. See the campground map on the Living Forest website.

We plan to have a Meet and Greet BBQ at about 5.30 on the Friday evening. (We will provide hamburgers and salad at a cost of $5 per person... if there is any extra $ after covering costs I will donate it to this board) and a Pot Luck supper on the Saturday evening. Other than that there are no scheduled events, but I know we will all want to socialize and spend some time showing and checking out our respective Toys.

I hope that's enough info. Visitors from off island will want to check out the BC Ferries and Washington State ferries websites for info on getting here.

Visitors from the US will want to consider medical insurance. Don't forget to fill up with that nice, cheap American gas before crossing into Canada.

Please post your name and site number here after you make your reservations so we can have some info about who is coming. Cheers to all, Wayne

Cool, I'll be there. Coming from "up island" New Toy owner. I'm booked in 201. Trying to keep the doogie a little separate and a little quieter. Pot luck,my favorite!

Good to hear! I hope we get lots more campers and make this a great weekend! Let's also look at the Washington State Toy In for early August. It sounds like a good one as well! Cheeers, Wayne

Just booked for 6-21/6-23. We tried this last year but medical issues came up. Have booked s19. Looking forward to meeting everyone. We attended the Quartzite get together this year now plan on up to two months in BC. Darrel and Gun