Barking dogs

83 SunRader

I'm a newbie/greenhorn and have been full time in my RV now for about 2 months now and I have been pretty surprised by the amount of irresponsible dog owner who allow their dogs to "nuisance bark" when staying in the state parks. Maybe it's because I'm in the southeast, but it's very unfortunate to go to a beautiful state park (where it would be quiet otherwise) and have to listen to barking dogs. When I said something to the ranger about the barking he looked at me like I had three heads or something.

Is this typical? Will this happen everywhere I go? Is it just me?

Other than file a complaint I don't know what you can do. It would not be tolerated in California parks. Rangers would ask the dog owners to leave

Linda S

Your online so look up the state park rules concerning dogs. If they are supposed to be quiet and monitered ask the ranger why he doesn't seem to think he needs to enforce the state laws

My shepherds are trained to bark at people coming around the "home". That being said they do not bark unless people are present and making noise themselves... perhaps the people should be made to leave. In my experience its usually the nuisance breeds that nuisance bark; like those toy chia-dogs. Those types of dogs bark as they breath.

Checked the Florida state rules and the ranger failed in his duty. Noisey unrully pets are supposed to be removed from the park. I'm betting that for you to comment the barking must have been pretty constant or at night. Totally not allowed

Linda, Thanks for the link! I stayed at the park again yesterday and found out that the barking dog belongs to the "park host" so maybe that why the ranger was being so aloof. Fortunately there wasn't a problem with the barking this time it's a wonderful little park.

My shepherds are trained to bark at people coming around the "home". That being said they do not bark unless people are present and making noise themselves... perhaps the people should be made to leave. In my experience its usually the nuisance breeds that nuisance bark; like those toy chia-dogs. Those types of dogs bark as they breath.

My dog is trained the same way he only barks when someone is approaching or is close to the RV. LOL - You are absolutely correct about the breed, it was a little toy dog. It often makes me wonder if small dog owners don't feel that they need to train their dog as much because of the size.

Breeds are bred for a reason. Sheps for guarding interiors against threats their size or bigger, small Asian breeds for outside guarding. They can't help but to non stop yip because every noise is a threat to their size. I have yet to meet a "yipper" breed dog that doesn't nuisance bark. I can't speak for every other dog owner, just mine as to the training comment I made. Some things cannot be trained out of some breeds. If you put cabbage patch kids sweaters on your dog ill lay odds on dinner he/she will yip at a butterfly.

A dog is much like a child if they allowed to get away with bad behavior they will. Dogs do not know barking is annoying but there people should. The blame does not belong to the dog they are smart enough to be trained the sole responsibility belongs to the owner.

I live in the country. At home I have a medium size dog that barks when someone pulls into our driveway. We call him the "dog bell" similar to a door bell. At one time he would bark whenever the neighbor was walking around in his back yard. It really irritated me and the neighbor. We took a trip one time and asked the neighbor to feed and water the dog. After that, the dog just bounces around wagging his tail when he sees the neighbor or his wife.

As far as camping, i have frequently complained about dogs in campgrounds. People should not be allowed to ruin the evening for others. Here in Wisconsin, the barking dog and owner are always asked to be quiet or leave the state parks.

I live in the country. At home I have a medium size dog that barks when someone pulls into our driveway. We call him the "dog bell" similar to a door bell. At one time he would bark whenever the neighbor was walking around in his back yard. It really irritated me and the neighbor. We took a trip one time and asked the neighbor to feed and water the dog. After that, the dog just bounces around wagging his tail when he sees the neighbor or his wife.

As far as camping, i have frequently complained about dogs in campgrounds. People should not be allowed to ruin the evening for others. Here in Wisconsin, the barking dog and owner are always asked to be quiet or leave the state parks.

I live in the middle of 80 acres my dogs all ways know when UPS is coming long before he gets to the house like a half a mile I guess the UPS truck has a very distinctive rattle. The male likes to lay out side so he knows right away but I often have to tell the female that Bob's here so she can run out and get a treat too guess she does not believe the other dog. Dogs bark that's a given but there is a limit and when you are around others the limit is very short. It's all about being a good neighbor.

I have stayed in YellowStone National Park twice, first time ruined by drunks and the second time by dog owners that decided to leave their

little dog in the 5th wheeler while they spent the night somewhere else. Regarding breeds, Golden Retrievers are also a good one, ours

is also a dog bell, strangers get one loud bark, friends get one soft hello bark.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at a campground in Fairbanks Alaska, the owners went somewhere and the dog did nothing but bark. When they got back, they were told they had to leave.

I kind of felt sorry for them, but hey, one barking dog screws it up for everyone.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 weeks later...

WE ONCE STAYED IN A CAMPGROUND IN PIPESTONE MONTANA THE WOMEN RUNNING THE PLACE HAD A LARGE SHEPERD THAT WAS ALLOWED TO BARK ALL NIGHT NOBODY IN THE CAMP GROUND GOT ANYSLEEP IN AN RV OR A TENT THE WORST PAY TO CAMP I WAS EVER IN .

Always a shame to see an untrained shep. My buddies neighbor has a couple that set outside and bark non stop. A lonely shep will even howl like wolf. I'll still take that on max volume over those Chinese yipper machines any day though.

I AM NOT SHURE THOSE CHINESE YIPPER MACHINES ARE EVEN TRAINABLE PROBLY BETTER THEN THE OTHER EXP I HAD TWO WOMEN SET UP A TENT NEXT DOOR ANOTHER TRIP DRANK A LOT OF VODKA AND GOT IN A BIG FIST AND YELLING FIGHT AT MIDNIGHT NOT ENOUGH PEPSI

I have a Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise cross (Gizmo) and my son has a Chinese Pug (Mojo). They have a gruff, growly bark, but do not bark to excess. I would not tolerate it and neither would my son. I have enough problems at home with my neighbor's noisy Blab (black lab). ;)

A lot of barking dogs are totally bored, because they are tied up or caged most of the time. If you can't take proper care of your dog, then don't get one.

My neighbor's blab is tied up or in the house. He doesn't know the world beyond his tie out. I feel sorry for the dog. If you go camping, you don't expect to leave your dog in the camper all day. That's just common sense. They should be having fun with you.

I've had several German Shepards, when I lived on a farm. I really admire the breed. I decided that I'd get a small dog this time, for convenience sake. I live in town. Gizmo can ride in the back of my motorcycle or in the basket of my bike. He's an easy keeper. Weighs 10 #. Mojo, my son's Chinese Pug, weighs a hefty 20#. Both are every bit as smart as my brilliant black German Shepard, Buster. And both Gizmo & Mojo have decended from Chinese lion dogs. Yeah, maybe a little too smart, sometimes. Oh, yeah. And they don't wear no stinkin clothes, either! Not my pups. ;)

Jack Russell Terrier, now that's your yippy type of dog, in my experience. But I think that it's, mostly, the owners, that need a scolding.

• 1 month later...

This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I have two yip dogs and one barking lab (same house) behind my house and four German shepards with one bulldog to the front of my house. All of them think its their job to bark. Literally. Dogs all need jobs. These people didn't ever train their dogs not to bark, dont do much with them except live with them, and the dogs have taken it on themselves to decide that running around the yard barking at anyone they can see is their JOB.

The ones who live behind me come out the back door barking, when let out. Then they start looking for something to actually bark AT. They truly believe its their job to alert the neighborhood that they're out in the yard and you better watch out.

I cannot step outside into my backyard or front yard without being barked at. Needless to say I don't have a great relationship with my neighbors.

I have a dog, and I don't have any illusions that when I'm not home and he's out in the yard, he barks at people who walk by. But any time I catch him, l let him know he is NOT a guard dog. I don't tolerate barking in my dogs.