Are the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Batteries at Walmart good as house batteries?

Stevo

Walmart sells the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine batteries for $100. These are 12 volt batteries with an amp hour rating of 114. Apparently they are made by Johnson Controls and come with a two year replacement warranty from Walmart. Do you think 2 or 3 of these would be good for house batteries with solar panels?

Here is the link to it at Walmart: http://tinyurl.com/bb2utzu

Thank you

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I think I talk too much but whatever.I use Walmart batterys group 27 in my Sunrader. I also abuse them. keep the rig plugged in all the time but have the older original style converter charger so I'm basically cooking my batterys. First one was in there when I bought it and lasted 5 years. Second one is close to 4 years and still working fine. Considering the constant charging I'd say thats pretty good.

Linda s

I only have one coach battery. Small Sunrader, no more room

If you have the old MagnaTek 6300 series convertor the battery charger is adjustable. Lower voltage setting will take longer to charge up but is OK to leave it on, higher settings will charge the battery slightly faster, but will boil the fluid out if left on for long periods of time, check the voltage output of the charger when the battery is fully charged.

My battery box only holds size 27 there's no more room. 85 dolphin. If you have a second battery it could be as big as whatever the size of the new box you use.

Are you asking does size 29 fiit in the house battery box? No I don't think so. some are under the couch and are bigger though there's a wide varietyy of toyhome makes but I don't think any came with two house batteries I think all 2 battery set ups are homemade.

Are yyou asking for a review of thequality of walmart batteries? That I don't know.

I recomend getting size 27 costco deep cycles for around 100 bucks with the best warranty.

I have my solar set up in my signature maybe I should add my battery. I looked and have never found a site that reviews deep cycle batteries only car starting batteries.

I have no idea what kind of charger converter originally came in a Sunrader cause that's what I have. No adjustments that I can see anywhere on the front and never had a reason to pull it out. Check the water in my battery every so often and it has never been seriously low. I use my rig every couple weeks and keep my fridge stocked. That's why I keep it plugged in. Got tired of loading and unloading the whole thing.

Linda S

i use the wally worl batteries - works for me,

I have original converter - when I stay plugged in more then 24 hours I power down the 110v & remove a lead from the battery - then power up 110v - everything works & the house battery does not cook the house battery.

If you are still running the original charger a timer works fine just set it to run an hour or so a day while it's plugged in. One of the very best upgrades you can do is a modern charger/converter it is well worth the expense.

The Sunrader I just bought is stripped down and has no convertor or battery charger so I'm starting over.

If you have the old MagnaTek 6300 series convertor the battery charger is adjustable. Lower voltage setting will take longer to charge up but is OK to leave it on, higher settings will charge the battery slightly faster, but will boil the fluid out if left on for long periods of time, check the voltage output of the charger when the battery is fully charged.

I'm doing a custom thing so I can build the battery box whatever size I want and need. I'm thinking of going with 3 house batteries. The question I had was pretty well summed up in the title of this thread.

My battery box only holds size 27 there's no more room. 85 dolphin. If you have a second battery it could be as big as whatever the size of the new box you use.

Are you asking does size 29 fiit in the house battery box? No I don't think so. some are under the couch and are bigger though there's a wide varietyy of toyhome makes but I don't think any came with two house batteries I think all 2 battery set ups are homemade.

Are yyou asking for a review of thequality of walmart batteries? That I don't know.

I recomend getting size 27 costco deep cycles for around 100 bucks with the best warranty.

Walmart sells the EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine batteries for $100. These are 12 volt batteries with an amp hour rating of 114. Apparently they are made by Johnson Controls and come with a two year replacement warranty from Walmart. Do you think 2 or 3 of these would be good for house batteries with solar panels?

Here is the link to it at Walmart: http://tinyurl.com/bb2utzu

Thank you

I've been buying the Walmart BCI type 27s and 29s for near 10 years. With just about all of them they'd last two years as "perfect" and then die slowly. By "die slowly" I mean they'd self-discharge very fast. A new perfect lead-acid battery self-discharges at around 5-10% per month. That's when not hooked to anything and just sitting idle. If kept on a battery maintainer, I've gotten 4 years out of a few before they weren't worth the bother anymore. At the end they probably had a self-discharge rate of 50% in one week. That gets annoying. I had NO sudden failures with any. So yeah, for the price, they are pretty good and convenient with the carry handles. A Trojan or Deka T-105 type batttery will last much longer but will also cost much more. One note on Walmart. Johnson Controls makes just about all their batteries but . . . for years Exide made the Walmart type 27 and type 29s. Hopefully they are no longer using Exide (had many quality control problems).

The Walmart 27s and 29s are relatively cheap and handy. I use in some RVs in the summer and stick in my diesel farm tractors in the winter. If I wanted a battery just for a specific RV, I would buy something better. True deep cycle 12 volt batteries are rare. They are usually 6 volt or 2 volt (2 volt being the most HD). If you have multiple batteries in mind, a pair of real 6 volt deep-cycle batteries hooked in series would get you more battery for the buck in the long term. They typically last 7-8 years. I have a pair of Deka 8144s in my Chevy Blazer RV that just hit the 10 year mark. The downside is they are not good for "swapping" around to stick in tractors or boats or truck campers. Deka 8144 is the equivalent to the Trojan T-105. Nice thing about Deka is you can order through any NAPA store.

If you really want a good battery pack with a very long life, lots of reserve power and no venting requirements - an EnergyCell 200RE is the way to go. AGM, true deep cycle and 200 amp-hours. It is 12 volts and one battery weighs 131 pounds. 12.5" x 22" X 5". You can mount it anywhere, inside or outside the RV. If you shop around they can be bought for $400. I had a chance last month to buy all I wanted, new, for $250 each. I wish now i'd bought a few. I've been thinking about putting one in the back of my Toyota Chinook.

http://www.altestore.com/store/Deep-Cycle-Batteries/Batteries-Sealed-Agm/Outback-Power-EnergyCell-RE200-12V-200AH-AGM-Battery/p9857/?gclid=COjpup_ox7QCFU-d4AodFGYA-A

I have my solar set up in my signature maybe I should add my battery. I looked and have never found a site that reviews deep cycle batteries only car starting batteries.

If you cannot find reviews for deep cycle batteries you are looking in the wrong places. There are reviews all over the place for marine, golf cart and deep cycle batteries from boaters, golf courses, and solar-panel users. In regard to Costco (not available near me), they give a 1 year replacement and two year pro-rated warranty. Walmart gives a full 2 year replacement. If anything, I'd call the Walmart warranty better. Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Walmart and Costo, along with Subaru, Interstate, and many more brands. At least with the type 29s. Some of the 27s out there were made by Exide.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/1290-golf-cart-battery-comparison.html

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-9579.html

One of the best upgrades that I put in my Escaper was the new battery converter. I plug it into the garage and leave it. It is a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 9200.

the difference in the warranty is that costco takes batteries back no fault warranty.

You can take it back if it has wear or you killed it. Theres no test

its a complete satisfaction guarantee. Im not sure if any other deep cycle battery has a warranty like that.

Walmart might actually. But a place like sears they will test the battery etc and eventually test your alternator. Returns are a hassle. At costco just bring the battery and they give you your money back. buy another battery with it or dont.

I do suspect that the costco size 27 deep cycle battery and the walmart one are the exact same thing. The reason I suspect it is I looked at them both the same day.

I believe the costco version is 15 dollars cheaper. They are both made by johbson controls.

The walmart battery might even be better but itd still be a way smarter buy to get a costco battery. The reason is you can return it when you want a new one, for a year. When I get another battery im going to return this one so I have two brand new ones.

return it once a year and you have new batteries for life. If I remember to do it Ill always have new deep cycles in my rv. A new rv battery for life will always be better and last longer than a old rv battery

I think walmart actually does have a satisfaction guarantee also strangely enough, but its for 30 days.

if you have a costco near you its pretty much the best purchase to buy anything from them. Especially something youre not sure about....

In terms of batteries though their selection is pretty small I think they only have 27 and 24 size batteries. They dont have a size 29 battery to compare to the walmart one.

I think walmart actually does have a satisfaction guarantee also strangely enough, but its for 30 days.

It's very easy to check before stating things as 'fact'. Even if you're senile. Or not. :)

"1 year free replacement warranty."

Source: http://www.walmart.c...attery/20531539

Of course, the picture in the link shows "24 month FREE replacement."

ya that is a replacement warranty based on whether or not the battery is faulty. meaning if its bad, they will replace it.

but walmart has only a 30 day satisfaction warranty meaning if you bring it back in 30 days they will refund your money regardl

whereas costco has a 1 year satisfaction guarantee on everything they sell in the store.... except electronics.

Ok before you go on just read the last two sentences 3 times. Thats how many times you need to read something before the message sinks in. Its a pretty standard educational practice. Ok 3 times? cool you should understand.

Its not really senility but a lack of reading comprehension that causes a problem like this derek. Ive already checked actually thats why my facts are pretty straight youll notice.

In this case you really didnt check your facts or read the words clearly. I dont know what I could do to help really but i encourage you not to post so often or quickly.

I dont know whats age appropriate but lurking around a forum and trying to contradict people with google to feel smart is normally what teenagers do. So its not a function of brain deterioration its a sign of boredom, self centered thought and a lack of maturity with low self esteem.

"Woo hoo I got you now I looked up your post on google and you were wrong!!!! " hahaa.

Woo hoo I got you now I looked up your post on google and you were wrong!!!! hahaa.

I dont know whats age appropriate but lurking around a forum and trying to contradict people with google to feel smart is normally what teenagers do. So its not a function of brain deterioration its a sign of boredom, self centered thought and a lack of maturity with low self esteem.

Hey, I think we're in agreement!! :)

Well in this case it was no problem so dont worry too much about it.

I dont really read your messages unless they are really short in the first place, especially if I dont have a lot of time to deal with confusion.

Its kind of like... you have nothing to add but want to pick a sentence to put through google for us all an see if its relevant.

costco is kind of a west coast thing, at least common ones.

heres whats different about them.

http://www.costco.co...ts-refunds.html

sams clubs, which is walmart owned and competive with it has a good warranty policy too but not as good. Just walmart has a better return policy than other retailers.

I think most people know how costco works.... but theres a direct link. And Derek can google anything about it you may not understand.

it means you can eat half a bag of potatoe chips and get your money back. Theres some people out there that doesnt matter too some products that just last forever but I cant think of a better match than a full warranty and deep cycle batteries. I returned mine twice in the first month I had it, because I ruined it twice.

Pretty well known by smart rvers everywhere. Costco used to carry optimas, but even then people bought the regular flooded cell ones.

returns without having them check the battery for hours or even talk about it just walk up with hte battery, no receipt, and get a refund in cash.

I'm going to risk being called a hijacker and report on using epsome salt therapy to reinvigorate older SLA batteries.

I took two sealed batteries from an old APC smart UPS (computer backup device) that were cooked. I hit them up with the epsome salt treatment and to my surprise they seem to work like new again...

I think I will try my next dead car battery on this trick too.

Knowing WalMart your next battery from them will probably be made by Wanxiang they are trying to buy bankrupt A123. We have no Costco in the north east. Can't remember ever having to return a battery but then again I don't buy them from walmart/Costco.

it is huge in the pnw and northern california. Texas too but not the east coast.

consumer reports ranks kirkland starting batteries well but no idea on the deep cycle. my whole point is it doesnt matter mine will always be new.

and i have returned about 10 batteries just in 2012, but i buy and sell a lot of cars. car batteries always go bad.

most people get their tires there too because you can return the shreds of an exploded tire for a new one. And because they are cheaper, although they only carry about 4 brands.

There's a Costco in Sherbrooke. :)

I thought Conway NH was a bit far to go for a battery at least I don't have to show them my pass port!

it is huge in the pnw and northern california. Texas too but not the east coast.

consumer reports ranks kirkland starting batteries well but no idea on the deep cycle. my whole point is it doesnt matter mine will always be new.

and i have returned about 10 batteries just in 2012, but i buy and sell a lot of cars. car batteries always go bad.

One a month?

I owned 10 cars in 2012 and the only two that didnt have a bad battery were the 2003 civic with the interstate new battery and the 96 miata with the agm battery in the trunk. ( that I should have taken before I sold it)

To be honest I think the starter battery in this toyhome is starting to go bad, id personally replace it with a costco battery if I had the money. I believe the wear on the starting battery is taking charge away from my house battery. When I get my 2nd house battery Im going to look at another starting battery too.

so more like 4 a month for 2 months. a lot of used cars come with a bad battery. I often buy a new one because I dont have time to mess with it but i can remember one car i sold that needed a jump if it sat too long.

you can order stuff from costco online and still return it by mail.

I dont think car batteries work though.

costco is also definitely the cheapest car batteries I know of. Cheaper than walmart or even batteries plus.

78 bucks for a battery. 87 for a size 27 deep cycle battery.... come within 15$ of that for me please.

I dont know what to say Ive never heard of a car battery that didnt die I dont know how you could avoid that personally that sounds weird to me. I think Ive owned more like 40 cars in the last 5 years and I have replaced half of their batteries.

Deep cycle battery from Costco has only 1 year free replacement. Their starting batteries are far superior compared to Autozone/Oreily...cheaper, longer warranty, better quality too. My CR-V battery from Costco lasted for 8 years.

I don't know about Walmart's deep cycle battery.

I am on the market for a deep cycle for my '90 Itasca, any recommendation?

Thanks

Deep cycle battery from Costco has only 1 year free replacement. Their starting batteries are far superior compared to Autozone/Oreily...cheaper, longer warranty, better quality too. My CR-V battery from Costco lasted for 8 years.

I don't know about Walmart's deep cycle battery.

I am on the market for a deep cycle for my '90 Itasca, any recommendation?

Thanks

Under normal circumstances, just about any car battery can last 6 years if not left in a state of discharge too often and not subject to sustain high heat.. I've gotten 8 out of a few and my father-in-law just replaced his at 10 years.

For cheap "almost" deep cycle batteries - the BCI # 27s and 29s at Walmart seem to be one of the best "bangs for the buck" I've seen around. Exide used to make them but I think they are all made by Johnson Controls now - same company that makes them for NAPA, Subarua, Kirkland, Costco, Sears, Interstate, etc. I've been buying them for quite a few years with no sudden faliures. Just go bad slowly over time.

There are only a hand full of manufactures in the country so most are rebranded any way. If you are looking at two side by side buy the one that weights the most it will have more plates. Really just buy it from the dealer you feel is most likely to treat you right if you ever have a problem.

definitely costco there.

I actually melted my battery you couldnt even read what it was anymore and I got a full refund in cash.

As a matter of fact I just think of the battery as free. I can just get my money back anytime and buy it again. its like it has an endless warranty really.

I think its the same as the walmart deep cycle exactly like it comes on the same truck only its about 15 bucks cheaper. it might not be it might actually be cheaper quality too.