Hey everyone, I just bought a fixer-upper Sunrader and have questions for doing a major remodel please!

Stevo

I just bought a 1984 Toyota Sunrader 21'er. Its a fixer-upper. I plan on gutting the inside to make it the way I want. I have lots of experience with woodworking and fiberglassing (both epoxy and polyester) and plan on avoiding holes through the coach roof if at all possible (well, maybe one hole for the solar cell wires). I'm doing as much of the work myself so I can do it right and also to same money because cost does matter.

I have some questions please...

1) Can I step anywhere on the roof without cracking it? I weigh 190 and heard a few slight crunchy sounds as I carefully walked on it.

2) Do I really need those little lights at the top of the coach? They seem like more places for leaks and would rather get rid of them. (I plan on glassing over a few of the existing access doors, etc. so will need to repaint the coach anyway.)

3) What is the purpose of that goofy little railing on the roof near the back of the coach? If it doesn't serve a good purpose then I will get rid of that too.

4) Since I'll be re-painting the coach, I plan on pulling all the windows out and recaulking them. What sealant/caulk will last a super long time in the tropics? Some of that stuff used on boats??

5) In the area where the back of the Toyota cab meets the Sunrader coach, there is a little piece of trim. In my case that trim is cracked and funky. Can that trim be replaced without separating the coach from the front cab? If not, any suggestions what I could do there?

6) Any suggestions for a simple, cheap, durable, easy to set up awning? (I would rather glass attachments in place than drill through the coach)

7) I have no keys for the side door of the coach and the Toyota doors. Is it possible to have all three locks use the same key? If not, can I buy a replacement lock and key for the side door at a motorhome place (or eBay)?

8) I'm going to tear out the carpet in the front cab area and want to replace it with thick durable rubber material. Any suggestions for durable stuff that I can cut to fit as if it came from the factory? It would have to go under the seats too.

9) I want to remove that funny looking Sunrader trim on the side. Should I fill the channel with Bondo?

10) If I was to remove and glass over the two vent holes in the roof, do you have any suggestions for a cheap and simple way to move lots of fresh air through the coach - and even while raining hard?

Thank you very much!

Steve

1) I weigh 165 and I can walk on my Sunrader roof all day long. Get up there every time I wash it and have been up there replacing all the vents and such. The cracking your hearing is probably the wood strips holding the ceiling in place. They might be starting to separate from the fiberglass or the ceiling panels separating from the wood strips. It's 1/4 inch thick up there and the fiberglass is not going to break but it does flex. Old wood doesn't do that so well.

2)Clearance lights are required by federal law for all vehicles wider than 80 inches. I have seen some people remove them but if you are ever in an accident at night the insurance company can say you were at fault because you did not have proper lighting.

3)Yes it's a stupid roof rack. It's also your tv antenna. should be a connecter somewhere to attach to it.. Not neccessary

4) the only sealant you should use is butyl tape. easy to apply around the edge of the coach before you set the window in place. Not putty tape, it drys out. Only butyl tape will do

5) cab to coach trim. Not available anywhere I know but a member of the toyota-camper group used white garage door seal and it looked fabulous.

6) I think awnings are stupid and heavy. I bring a cheap patio umbrella and a base you put water in. Just fill it when I get to my spot and place it where I want it, like over the picnic table instead of all the way at my camper.

7)Keys, the ignition key should fit the doors. If not someone switched the ignition at some time. No answer for you. No Toyota keys won't fit the camper door and compartment locks. Different kind of tumblers. All the other tumblers can be replaced at most hardware stores or a locksmith.

8) no clue

9)Insert trim. I guess bondo would work but I always thought that stuff was there for a reason. Karen says the 2 halves are glassed together so maybe not. Again I guess I just don't know

10) Your going to want those vents. Hot air rises and vent on the top is the easiest way to get it out of your camper. I wouldn't do it. New ones are cheap and last a long time

Linda S

7) I have no keys for the side door of the coach and the Toyota doors. Is it possible to have all three locks use the same key? If not, can I buy a replacement lock and key for the side door at a motorhome place (or eBay)?

Take one lock cylinder out and bring it to locksmith. Not expensive (at least where I live) to have it taken apart and make a key to match the existing tumbers. Last one I had done cost me $20.

Thank you both and thanks for mentioning the clearance lights Linda, and good point about the insurance companies so I guess I'll keep em. This site shows all the clearance lights required and my Sunrader has all of them: http://www.vehiclesafetymfg.com/tech_info/tech_lr_tbm2.htm

The fiberglass roof on my 1980 Sunrader is not 1/4" thick. I have pulled fasteners out of it which allowed me to see the thickness. It is so thin the fasteners barely get a grip.

I have 2 1986 Sunraders.Have replaced all vents and resealed all windows on both. 1/4 inch everywhere but the bottom panels. Maybe they just made them stronger in later years.

Linda S

I just did a Google search for "Number 8 floor mats" and nothing comes up. What are number 8 floor mats?

Number 8...floor mats.

I have done a fair amount of searching for something suitably tough and could not find a kit that has heavy duty vinyl in it.

But you can find kits with thinner vinyl flooring that conforms to the curves on the flooring. I have concluded I will need to buy the thinner vinyl kits still being made for my year of rig. But then I will get some vinyl adhesive and top the high wear areas (under the driver and passengers feet and at the door entry) with thicker vinyl matting that will wear longer. Done with a bit of care, planning, compatible colors and the right kind of adhesives it will look just grand and last a good long while.

Thanks but I'm not being "picky" and "OCD" har har, but the trim on mine is bent and funky looking and since I'm going to re-paint the shell anyway it would actually be easier to pull it off and fill to make the surface nice and clean. This Sunrader I bought was super cheap and is a MAJOR fixer upper which is okay because I want to make the interior the way I want instead of the way the factory built it. Besides, the interior the way it is now was previously bastardized by an amateur and its disgusting and totally unfunctional.

So you don't like the look of the trim molding, picky huh?

If you take it off then you will really be unhappy with the look of things because there is a raw fiberglass edge under there.

I put a new strip of vinyl in mine and it looks 100 percent better, blends right in with the body color.

By the way there could very likely be a bunch of rusted screws under that vinyl trim...

Bondo filler? Do you think a section of it that wide and deep will last for very long without cracking and flaking off paint.

It could become a nightmare of a fix.

Best not to obsess with every little design detail on vintage RVs. Just learn to love them for their function. Kind of like loving your parents or partners despite wrinkles, bald spots, pot bellies and digestive issues.

Every new owner goes crazy at first wanting to change stuff like that trim molding. But after a while it just becomes minor background noise that you will hardly notice unless of course you have a major case of OCD in which case you should sell your Toyhome ASAP.

The strongest glass jobs by far are hand laid because the thickness of the layup is totally predictable. I think I read these Sunraders were shot with a chopper gun against a female mold which would explain why there could be a wide discrepancy in thicknesses from one part of the shell to another...and between one Sunrader and another one. I have been gently pushing in on the shell of mine here and there and it feels like it could be 1/4" in some areas and other areas it feel like only 1/8" based on how much it flexes and pushes in.

I have 2 1986 Sunraders.Have replaced all vents and resealed all windows on both. 1/4 inch everywhere but the bottom panels. Maybe they just made them stronger in later years.

Linda S

5) Cab To Coach Trim: That is a great idea Linda! I found the photos at the Yahoo group and contacted the owner. Thank you.

6) Awnings: I agree that awnings are stupid and heavy which is why I'm thinking of alternatives to the typical heavy and expensive ones available.

5) cab to coach trim. Not available anywhere I know but a member of the toyota-camper group used white garage door seal and it looked fabulous.

6) I think awnings are stupid and heavy. I bring a cheap patio umbrella and a base you put water in. Just fill it when I get to my spot and place it where I want it, like over the picnic table instead of all the way at my camper.

Linda S

You are too funny. Not number 8 floor mats. The floor mat queston was your number 8 question.

Bus Depot has what looks to be a very light weight bag type awning for the van campers for just a touch over 100 bucks

Also lots of bag type awnings on ebay. Anything that rolls out is going to cost big bucks unless you can find a used one.

Linda S