Live and learn. I tried a set of passenger car tires on my 1980 Toyota Huntsman. Uneven wear and hard as hell to steer. Now just put on 6 new Hankook RA08 tires. The reviews on these tires puts them out in front of the Continental Vanco 2 tires for traction on wet and dry pavement and the weight rating is 1850 lbs. per tire. They are a lot smoother riding than soft ply tires and track well and offer more positive steering. I inflated them to 60 psi which is 5 lbs. below what they allow. I believe these to be the finest tires available for my vehicle and recommend you get a set the next time you buy tires. Online you can pay around $98. per tire delivered to your door and pay someone to mount and balance them. I bought mine at Roadway tire here in Pompano Beach and paid $94. plus tax each and $100. for mounting and balancing at Dixie Tire. Don't buy anything else. Nexen is another Korean tire and I saw Yokahama had a tire for this application. I think I made a good choice and hope you do as well. I don't like to give advice on things I don't know. But this is different and I hope it helps you in your quest for an honest opinion. Happy motoring.

I have two hankooks, two nankangs and two jupiters now which is actually the same brand as nexen but sold through pep boys. might or might not be the same tire.

All I can say i avoid nankang they seem to dry rot fast. I would say for cornering I believe nankangs are better being a summer tire the hankooks are very stiff for me.

But they are excellent the only other tire I would buy is the vanco 2 , the other tires were put on by a previous owner and are as new as far as wear but some dry rot.

they just drove through a snowstorm and im glad I got them just in time for it.

you can get the vanco 2 from tire rack delivered too for under 100$

I honestly dont know when Ill get more tires, if it was just wear the tires on them should last for 10 years. Its just whether the other nankangs rot.

I think I have all seasons in front now and 4 summer tires in the back. I think thats the smartest way to do it in a dually set up. Im no expert on the differences in tread types.

as I analyze it more and more I believe passenger tires would be fine for the front tires.

need to see the exact weight put on the front tires but a 1350 load index works.

I wonder what the exact size is equivalent to 185/14

they came with passenger tires from the factory. These tires were using are for european commercial vans

Tire Rack has a conversion chart.

Looks like a 195/75/14 or a 205/70/14 might work. The 205 would be wider but might have load bearing advantage.

Kumho has a 195/75/14 with a load of 1400 pounds. Cost is $70.

Interesting note on load for car tires that might be used for LT purposes.

http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=70

"

Euro-metric and P-metric tire sizes were originally designed for cars and station wagons, however they have also been used for light truck applications because most vans, pickup trucks and SUVs are used to carry passengers, not cargo. Additionally, most of the new light trucks being produced today are equipped with Euro- or P-metric sized tires because they offer lighter weight, lower rolling resistance and less aggressive tread designs (which makes them better riding, more fuel efficient and less noisy) than typical heavy-duty tires.

However there is an idiosyncrasy governing the use of Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires on vans, pickup trucks and SUVs because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars. In order to accommodate this, vehicle engineers are required to specify Euro- or P-metric sized tires rated to carry 10% more weight than would be required if they were used on a passenger car. This is the equivalent of taking the tire's load capacity branded on its sidewall and multiplying it by 91%. For example, a Euro- or P-metric tire designated to carry 2,000 pounds on a car is restricted to carrying 1,820 pounds when used on a van, pickup truck or SUV. This size selection practice provides the vehicle manufacturer with the appropriate tire load capacity.

"

That is interesting so is it fair to take 10% off the passenger tire rating?

Still seems to work for me your kumhos at 1260 lbs for the front

or 2520 lbs on the front end? Come on thats fine. Probably like 500 over. I know people have werighed their front end here but i dont have it handy I just doubt it. If the whole vehcile weighs 6000 lbs the cab isnt supporting 2500 lbs of it.

on the opposite end of this research i find that 185/14 tires are actually cheaper than high load index 14 inch truck tires. So seeing as they are harder to find, heavier than needed, but actually cheaper..... I have decided that theres a good reason people use them on toyhomes.

A 195/75/14 on the front wheels of a toyhome isnt dangerous. From what I can see.

I have had a lot of people try to sell me those.

My Nissan Sunrader has 195/75/14 tires on it cause that was the only thing I could find in Rochester NY when I picked it up. Had to drive to California and the tires on it were shot. Funny though that is the tire size listed on the door frame. Have almost 6000 miles on them now but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Very poor ride I think due to the excessive flexing of the sidewalls. 1400lbs load per tire for a 5000 lb rig is well within the limits though even if you deduct the 10%. They were cheap though, 55 bucks at Walmart so I have no regrets. Made it home and have had no problems with them except for the poor ride quality. The Nissan has much deeper dually's than the Toyota. Had 205's on it when I got it and there was room to spare between the duallys. I have found one company that makes a 205r14 tire and I may go with those when I replace them.

Linda S

well theres a lot of companies that make 205 14ss but thats way overkill at 2400 lb index. per tire so thats for something out there with 14 inch wheels and 11000 lbs gvw if such a thing exists.

it must somewhere

by using these heavy tires were lowering speed and gas mileage,

heres something that just came up randomly http://www.ebay.com/...8dc178b&vxp=mtr

70 shipped.

Like the look of the agressive tread but I don't think I would go with such an unknown tire. Really just dreaming anyway. I will probably get the cheapest known name brand tire I can find and then not until I have to. Money is such an issue

Linda S

• 1 month later...

Do I need RA-08 hankook (or similar load rated) tires on a 1977 toyota chinook with a r20 4 cyl with a 4 speed? I thought I did but yall are ordering these tire 6 at a time i'd only need 5 if I bought one as a spare also. The R/V's being discussed here needing RA-08 are running dually rear ends or 4 tires on back? Sorry if this is a noob question but better safe than sorry. My nook currently has new tires on it but they are regular car tires my friends tell me they are fine to run but i'd like to get everyone here who drive chinooks or have more experience with smaller Rv's. I want to be safe and sure not to have a blowout or broken belt on a tire that "oughta be ok just run em" as i've been told. Also a question concerning blowouts on the rear of a chinook does it rip up the fiberglass wheelwells and fender area has anyone experienced a blowout and have bad damage?

This question is often asked and the answer is always the same,,,, how much does your Toy weigh?? Weigh the front and rear axles separately and check your tire sidewall for their rated carry capacity. Its all simple math.

i'd check your units weight and then go with tires that will handle it. i would think at least a LT tire rather than passenger car tire at least. add to your weight for other passengers and camping gear and maybe be a little generous on guessed weights.

I forgot that tidbit about actually weighing the nook, first chance I get I'll either drive or trailer the nook to the scrapyard to weigh it. It's only 15 or so miles one way so new car tires should be safe to get it there to weigh it unless anyone here would recommend towing it on a trailer just to be safer. And thanks for the advice about weighing it I should have remembered that.

As for camping gear and passenger weight I'd probably get generous with the amount anyway because packing lite is something I have trouble doing just because I think of everything I might need. It doesn't help that I'm the cook as well lol.

Pack it up as best you can with all your stuff, fill the tanks with water. preferably, you want your worst case weight.

When you weigh it, if possible, get separate front and rear weights. Ideas for scales.

Recycle places that accept scrap metal
Yard and gravel sales place (sell stone or dirt)
Truck stops,

Call your local DMV, some require trucks or trailers to be weighed before registering and will have a list of scale places.

If your near Toledo, call me. I have a scale at work.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My 1978 toy came with P195-14 passenger tires on all 6 wheels. I have the 20R with 4 speed. The tires were dry rotted a bit but still used them locally for about 1000 miles. My rig weighs in at about 4200 lbs.

I upgraded to the Hankook RA08's and what a difference in ride and handling quality. One thing that concerned me about the rear duels was the spacing between inside and outside wheels. The two tires were almost touching each other (p-metrics). I looked for LT truck tires before buying the Hankooks. Closest size in 14" was LT 215. Too large for my rig. They were special order too.

My advice is go with the Hankook or similar load rated tires. The investment is well worth it.

I'll be getting the LT tires the tires on it are just barely within weight limits on the rear by 100 pounds according to the sticker in the door. The front have about 500 pounds to go before exceeding weight limits of the tires. Driving it with no additional load than myself and a passenger will be borderline unsafe a few trips with only myself to make sure it's running right will be the maximum I drive it till new correctly rated tires are installed. Thank you all for the advice and input .

I've been running the RA08's and they are fabulous tires. Cheapest price I've found on them are with Online Tires: http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/hankook/195%252F00-14+hankook+ra08++bw.html

I have them mounted at a local Discount Tire, tend to fill them to 50 PSI all around, and my rig tops out at 6200 if I'm carrying absolutely all of my gear. I've driven uphill on big layers of jaggedy state park rocks and all's been well. Nice to have that kind of piece of mind.

I've got about 20,000 miles on two year old Hankooks. This includes 12,000 trip up the Alaskan Hiway, and the Dalton Hiway up to Prudhoe Bay. about 4,000 miles were on crappy roads, dirt, gravel, frost heaves, pot holes, etc. I recommend new tire to anyone traveling to Alaska.

They don't do well on snow and ice, probably because of the straight tread design.

Goods ride, still plenty of tread,

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I've got some on the way. Not good to hear that they aren't good in snow...but out of almost all the good tires I found in my size, they were one of the very few "all season". I should probably get myself some chains, even though I'll rarely have the Chinook out in the winter.

MONTANA A SET OF CHAINS GOOD THING TO CARRY GOT ME UNSTUCK IN MUD BEFORE NOT JUST GOOD IN SNOW GOOD IN MUD ALSO or ON MUDDY ROAD

i fill mine to 60 psi.

I think it would be best to fill the rears to 65 and then the fronts to 55. but I dont do that I put it at an even number so i can tell which ones are leaking simply.