Help! Torn Ladder Screws on Toyota Dolphin

Tim Buktu

Some screws (and mounts) on my Toyota Dolphin's rear ladder have been pulled (completely) from the fiberglass body.

The ladder is still attached at the roof mounting and bottom mounting. However the four center brackets (with four screws each) are now hanging free!

This makes the ladder bounce a good deal. I hang my bike on the ladder so this issue needs to be resolved. Everything was fine until I backed into a tree!

I tried screwing the bolts back in, but they won't go. It seems there is only styrofoam backing for them to go into! What's more the ladder is now bent and does not want to sit flush. I am at a loss.

Appreciate any help from other users who dealt with this issue. The ladder was strong enough to support my weight and the bike. I can't believe it was only screwed into styrofoam!

Thanks!

Tim,

When your standing on the ladder, all the weight loads are vertical (up and down) and your weight is transferred to the two roof brackets

Any side motion (back and forth) loads are transferred to the side supports. (pulling away from the back of the MH)

As you have found out, there really isn't any side supports.

You may be able to use larger screws, but I fear this will only be a temporary fix.. You may also be able to drill through the side brackets, then use long bolts that goes all the way through the back wall and into the inside, then use a large washer and nut on the inside. If yours is the same as mine, there is a closet in the back where the bolts would come thru the wall. Also a black tank vent pipe. Use long #10 bolts, maybe use a 1/2 piece of plywood on the inside to beef up where the bolts will come thru, After you put the nuts on, cut the bolts off and maybe put an acorn nut on the end of the bolt so clothes and stuff won't get caught on sharp edges of the bolt.

As for the bicycles. I specifically did NOT use a ladder rack as I was concerned about the weight of the bikes bouncing back and forth, and I had a fear of the ladder being slowly pulled away from the MH from the bouncing.

I bought a spare tire bike rack and have used it extensively. ( My spare tire is bolted to the back wall, with one of the bolts going all the way through to the inside with a double nut on the inside.)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-64288600-1356003987_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-88564000-1356004001_thumb.jp

Oh those darn trees! I did it too. Then I stood on the back bumper and used all my strength to straighten it.

Bam it broke and I went flying.

I contacted the ladder company and bought some new supports from the ladder to the back wall. So now I have more than the original.

Drilled though to the inside as suggested. Put large plywood backing plates on to spread the force.

Now stronger than new.

Make sure to check if the steps are still OK.

Henry