Average age of Toy owners?

fred heath

I'm 64 & retired in MN. I have 3 grown chidren & 2 grandchildren. I own a 84 Toy Dolphin. It's the perfect size for me. My grandsons like it, too. It is a challenge to keep up on all the maintaining. I would like to take it south to winter in AZ, sometime. Just my lil pup & I. B)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm Dave. 33 years old. Good with mechanical things, electronics and electrical. 82 Dolphin, I retrofitted the full floater on it (Had one on hand). Good with my hands.

People tell me I paid way too much for the rotted out RV. I would have paid more than I did.

Rebuilding the engine right now, 22R, upgrading to 5 speed, to see how it goes. Looking for gas mileage.

I'm single, looking for an adventurous mate. May have found her in Belarus :) Also have two dogs, who are my fur- kids. :))

I'm 64 & retired in MN. I have 3 grown chidren & 2 grandchildren. I own a 84 Toy Dolphin. It's the perfect size for me. My grandsons like it, too. It is a challenge to keep up on all the maintaining. I would like to take it south to winter in AZ, sometime. Just my lil pup & I. B)

You must be proud! Yes, these motor homes are the perfect size. I have a Basenji mix rescue that is my constant companion. Lil pups are the best :)

im 41.

Kept it a secret. Some slight age conflict here but im with the old crowd. mid life crisis maybe keeps me young and crazy. also single with no kids.

AT 43 I DONT WANT TO BE IN THE OLD CROWD

I FIGHT IT EVERY DAY...I WORK WITH ALOT OF 20YRS OLD'S THEY CALL ME OLD-MAN McCann

My philosophy of life is very basic-------------"Everyone has to get older, getting OLD is a choice." I am 57 and most 25 year olds can't keep up with me. During the summer, my daily routine includes either a 25 mile bike ride (goal is 1 hr 35 minutes) hike 5 to 8 miles or kayak for a couple of hours. My wife had a stroke when she was 42 years old and that changed things for us. I do things that she can do but I still get my work out in every day. Vacations are planned so that she can get in what hikink is possible in the morning so that she has the energy to participate.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would be the youngest toy home owner but someone beat me by 4 :)

33 Elec. Engr./Contractor living in sunny SF Bay Areas Calif. with a much younger wife and a son just turned 1 yr old. After two tent camping trips in 102 degree in Fresno and one in 22 degree in Sequoia NP, a Toy home appeared on my shopping list. Ended up with 1990 Itasca and can't be more please with it.

Besides all my duties as a husband/father, I manage to squeeze in photography as my seasonal hobby...

I am somewhat mech./elec./plumb. inclided.. one thing I don't have is time but time will give time right?

Happy rving!

We are 64 and 57, have had our 87 Dolphin three years. We got it because tent camping with thin foam pads to sleep on was starting hurt when we got up in the AM. And because packing/unpacking the station wagon was becoming more hassle than we wanted. At first we wanted a 14-15 foot travel trailer to pull behind the station wagon but the car was not rated to tow that much. The toy house cost about as much as a reliable tow vehicle and gets about the same mpg.

Not to discount anyone's reason for getting into rving, wanting to is reason enough, in my book, but HUGE advances have been made in sleeping pads. I don't even use a thin foam pad when I'm backpacking. I have an air mattress that blows up to 3" thick, and is light enough for backpacking unless you're a super light backpacker. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/qcore

There is no reason not to have a nice pad for backpacking, much less car camping. If you have a little money to throw around and do more than just rv camping, you can be REALLY comfortable. No reason to suffer.

with all due respect to the young we also gave our airmatress away when you young people make 60 or more and you can hardly get up off a low air bed and go to the tolit three times a nite. and cant backpack anymore then you will understand more. soft bed ok too low very hard to get up out of it GAVE AWAY OUR TEN BY FOURTEEN TENT we ARE 60 and 60

• 2 weeks later...

54 and hubs is 61, but the 87 Odyssey is my new toy ;) I'm with BobBeary-can't take the ground anymore since contracting Lyme a few years ago....I did just get a nifty hammock that swings from it's aluminum stand-So comfy, but thanks MontanaChinook for the mattress link. Not ready to give up backpacking quite yet.

Hello Everyone,

Nathan here, this is my first forum post. I am 37 y.o.. And the proud new owner of a '91 Winnebago Toye.

I am wanting to put up a video in the next week or so of a walk around and inside of my new home--just to introduce her and myself. Then after that, I will put up another video with some of the many questions I have, to see if some of the wisened toyhome sages here will advise me.

I am planning to "full-time" in her come early spring and on. I am on the young side of the spectrum here, and I am trying to Live The Dream while I still can (minimal 'work', lots of travel and fun...).

She is in generally good shape now, I got the roof all lap sealed before winter here (wisconsin), and there are a lot of things I want to do to her, including customization/improvements...

Edited by longhaul

Hi everyone,

First post after lurking for several months. Spouse and I are both 60 and recently bought a 90 Warrior V6. We retired to Texas 2 years ago from Long Island, New York. We have 5 grown kids and 3 of them are still in NY. The other 2 are here in Texas with us. Our Toy lets us travel back to NY to visit family and friends while bringing our 2 pups with us. The info on this site is a tremendous aid in maintaining and upgrading our new home away from home. Thanks everyone! Pat

Aloha yall,

Just like dover this is my first post after lurking for years, I am 21 years young, since buying my 1993 V6 Itasca Spirit. I have been fulltiming in here coming up on 2 years. Traveling up and down the west coast, i have grown to love my toyhome, and i cant see myself getting rid ofi it anytime soon!

-john

Edited by socalitasca

I am 49 (wife 47), brought my 1990 Odyssey about eight years ago for a Yellowstone trip. Have three boys (16, 15, 12) and

plan on going to Glacier this summer. Hoping to keep the Toyota for at least another 8 years!

• 1 month later...

38 - Owned my first toyota home when I was 24. Honeymooned in it for 3 months with the same woman I'm married to now. 5 kids later toy homes got too small but I still really like them. We full timed in a 37' Diesel puller from 2011 to 2012 with our kids (youngest 3 months old when starting). The diesel has an AISIN Transmission (toyota) so maybe it counts. Currently own 2 sunraders... one a 87 cream puff and one a tear down camper shell that will some day get morphed into a Toyota Land Cruiser.

The wife and I are both 41. We have an 86 Dolphin and just got out for our first trip. It needs some help but it is great. It works out well being in the entertainment business so I can be ready to get out on a moments notice.

Guess we are of the old crowd. Both will soon be 70. Tent camped for many yrs. Then the ground was getting lower and lower and also harder. We found a 1977 Apache Ranger used it for 12 yrs and still using it. Found a 1986 Sunland Express with 26K miles on odometer. Bought 6 new tires; New master cyl; new rear brake cylndrs; done a lot of cleaning; and a few other odds and ends; made some new modifications here and there and have enjoyed it tremendously since 2010. Am retired from maintenance job and can do most of everything needed and am very thankful for that. Having to have it preformed by someone else is very expensive. Haven't seen many toys around here though, only a few passing through. Have to keep up with the toy sites to realize what is going on. Thanks for all the HELP and posts, and the picts. too. Lots of :first: ideas are passed on that way making life more pleasant :) .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 28 and I run my toyota dolphin since 3 year now. I run everything toyota since 14 years now almost 50 toyota from 70'S 80's and newer

M. Truite, vous avez oublié de nous dire ou vous êtes! :)

Je pense qu'ils peuvent etre Francais canadian

26...looks like I'm the kid. Wife's a year older and teaches elementary school (summers off) and I run my own transportation brokerage agency so as long as I have cell service and a laptop I can work from the toyhouse in the summers.

EDIT:

Nevermind, looks like "socialitasca" had me beat and "moroza" tied. Not so young after all!

• 2 weeks later...

29 years and 32 years old here! Glad to see a wide range of ages in people as our toys meet the needs of so many!

I'm 76, after a lifetime of camping with wife and family in all types of stuff, (including a new 2012 big gas hog), I bought 87 Escaper about 3 months back to see if I like camping alone, and because it looked like something a single person could feel comfortable. Course a 25 year old vehicle of any type needs care, and I've had my share, but I find I enjoy the solitude, though sometimes mixed with melancholy. I have a vison to retrace John Steinbeck' trip around the US, in "Travels with Charley"

BOB

Bob,

I've read the book several times, the first time in the early 1960's when I was a hardly a teenager, and didn't think I'd be the only one thinking of following Steinbeck and Charley's route. Would love to see those Sequoias. And his truck in the Steinbeck museum in California. So many things to see, so little time. (and it's running out.}

Mike

Hey Fred-

I am 62 and my wife is a lovely 61. We retired last June from teaching for 20 years overseas. We taught in Romania, Saudi Arabia, China, Indonesia and finally Nigeria. We bought our 21 ft Sunrader this fall and I am reading all of your wonderful posts and educating myself in the world of Toys. At present my windows are removed and I am moving to the doors (interior) and drawers to take them out and then an interior paint job. Our rig is a 1986,,,

Les IS MORE

I'm 40 and wife is... some age other than 40.

If I mentioned her age I would no longer be able to post, as I would be too busy recovering from the flogging she would give me.

Our rig is a 1986 Dolphin with the rear bathroom and middle dinette.

Got it last spring, did some work to it and had a blast camping all summer.

Did / am doing a BUNCH more work of the winter / spring and looking forward to our first campout of the year next month!! :)

Edited by showson1

• 4 weeks later...

We might be older than anybody! 77 and 74. We bought our rig in 2010.

Last summer we did a nine week trip from Vancouver Island to Ontario and back with no unpleasant incidents. Thought we should do it before we got too old. Did the Walmart thing many nights, then camped out in relatives' driveways and yards.

Wonderful trip up through Jasper, then down to Edmonton for Canada Day. Total round trip was 12,000 kms

• 2 weeks later...

Monsieur truite vient de la rive sud de montréal. Mon anglais est plutot ordinaire mais le site est vraiment interessant. Bien content de voir d'autre personne qui parle francais. Au plaisir