Average age of Toy owners?

fred heath

It seems to me that most of the members who post are older with a good knowledge of life in general.

I'm curious to see if we're all close in age or a diverse group.

I'm 56, kids are grown, and the thought of hitting the road in my toy is very exciting. I've worked hard all my life and now I'm making time for me. I'm not sure if I would have considered a toy 30 years ago.

Just curious. Fred

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 52 the wife's 51. Our last child has one more year of college. We have owned 2 bumper pull trailers and a large class c motorhome over the years as kids were growing up. I'm like you in that I never even considered such a small motorhome til recently but with finances being the way they are now it was the best way for us to see the country.

I'm 61. Four kids grown, gone, and living out west with many grandkids up to 10 years old. Also have one "new" son who just turned 9 years old. We live in two places in NY (central and the Adirondacks) and also have a small farm in northern Michigan. We switch back and forth and camp. Hoping to do a road trip out west soon - maybe with our 1978 Toyota Chinook. Also have a diesel Chevy Blazer Chalet (made by Chinook) and a few diesel trucks and slide-on campers.

I'm 64. I had a Apache pop-up trailer for 20 years and bought our 91 Dolphin 3 years ago and never looked back. Completed a 8,000 mile trip to Alaska and Oregon this past August & September and could't be happier with our little home.

Bob

I'm 41, and the wife is holding at 21. Kids are 3 & 5 now. :)

38 here, and I feel "older" chasing these kids (2 and 4) all the time, I often wake up hurting in places I didn't know could hurt now even at 38. I was 36 when I got Rocket (Sunrader). Unlike most I am far from retirement; in fact I will probably never retire untill they retire me because there will be no social security and the stock market will crash from all of the Baby boomers selling thier 401ks/annuities off . I make good money but am ever distrustful of the future. My Toyhome is secretly one of my rocks; I know if stuff gets rough I can bug out in it, go on vacatioon etc. Its pretty much my Go to in my mind the minute I think about vacation or holidays, even hunting.

I'm 76, after a lifetime of camping with wife and family in all types of stuff, (including a new 2012 big gas hog), I bought 87 Escaper about 3 months back to see if I like camping alone, and because it looked like something a single person could feel comfortable. Course a 25 year old vehicle of any type needs care, and I've had my share, but I find I enjoy the solitude, though sometimes mixed with melancholy. I have a vison to retrace John Steinbeck' trip around the US, in "Travels with Charley"

BOB

I am 57 with a beautiful 54 year young wife. 4 kids, all move out. 2 grandchildren that like to go camping with us. I am retired from law enforcement and loving it. Working part time to avoid taking money out of my savings.

I bought the Toyhouse 1 1/2 years ago and we only put 8,000 miles on it. Next summer, we hope to use it more. The summer of 2014 will be a trip[ from Wisconsin through the Black Hills, Big Horn Mountains, Rockies, west coast, then head back home through Glacier. We will be group camping with 3 of the kids and the grandkids. My wife and I will be using the MH and the kids will be using our pop-up camper.

I wonder if a v6 toy home could pull off towing a small scamp. I love those white fiberglass scamps; it would look so awesome behind a nice sunrader; almost lke one of those tarin space shuttles in the old sci fi 80s show "V"

I'm 61, wife's 4 years younger. For 33 years, we've tented, backpacked, lived in the outback (far eastern Oregon, 10 miles from a neighbor) and still love to get out on the fringe of the wilderness areas, using the Sunrader as a base camp. We've had 2 older airstreams and a small fiberglass trailer, a 13' PlaPac, a rare one, as only about 70 were built. It was a breeze to tow behind a Subaru, weighed about 1300 pounds fully loaded. We sold it to buy the 18', 1984 Sunrader, which we really love.

Truth is, it may be my all time favorite vehicle I've owned. We also have an 87 Toyota pickup with the same engine, makes things easier to keep up. We drive them about equally.

Steve

we are 60 and 60 here both retired . 3 kids 1SON wife and two grand kids go camping have a jayco swift. after testing our given to us by my friend 1978 toyota minimax we were hooked and last year we bought JUST RIGHT a 1987 DOLPHON

Based on the response so far the average mean age of toy owners is 53 years old.

I think that's really cool.

Works for me.

My toy is a 1979 "Galavan" on a 1978 chassis. Built in Canada by Champion.

20R with 4sp. Trans. 95,000 orig. Miles. 16' with no toilet facilities. Did come with stove, sink, refrigerator and small fresh water tank. Removed all to allow more storage space.

I also happen to own a camper called a Love Bug built by TriFab in Iowa. It is a knock-off of the Scamp. With minimal junk in the Love Bug it weighs 1000 pounds. I towed that thing around with a 1.6 liter Geo Prism. I had no problem getting going but I had to be VERY careful when I stopped. I towed it a lot with my 2.3 Ford Ranger and had no problem. I have never tried towing it with my Toyhouse.

THOSE SCAMP are indeed very light and sought after in their own right my son had two of them rebuilt both top to bottom later sold them family of four and dog needed more room and a real bathroom . bought a 17 foot jayco swift brand new towes with a six cl four runner.

I,m 68 wife 65 4 kids all on there own had tent trailers when kids home tried 18'sunrader 4yrs ago 5,000 miles trip thought we wanted more room got dolphin 4 cyl. auto did not like auto got 6 cyl auto Itasca 4,000 miles liked 6 cyl. but couldn't shake the 18' sunrader we love the layout, can park anywhere do not need more room so we are back in 82' Lil Rader ready to do some more traveling

I see no women have answered, By the way all you guys who entered your wifes age are going to be eating dog food if they find out. I will just say this much. I used to be old but when I got my 18 foot Sunrader I started getting younger every year. Couple more years and I'm going to be getting in trouble for skipping school to work on my truck. My kids pick on me cause they say I love my Sunrader more than them. They just might be right about that. I do call it Baby. Life is good and when I'm behind the wheel of this awesome rig, I'm always smiling

Linda S

86 Toyota 18 ft Sunrader

86 Nissan 18ft Sunrader with a v6

93 Tiger XL Chevy Astro chassis

I see no women have answered, By the way all you guys who entered your wifes age are going to be eating dog food if they find out.

My wife wouldn't mind her age posted since she's 12 years younger then me and I'm 61. I figure it makes us even, mentally. She has more gray hair also.

My Toyota Chinook is a 1978. My Blazer-Chalet is a 1977 (on a newer 1986 diesel chassis). Also have a 1959 Shasta camper-trailer, and three slide-in truck campers. Two Coachmens (1966 and 1973) and a 1988 Jayco Sportser with pop-up roof. Trucks used for the slide-on campers are a 1992 Dodge W200 diesel 4WD extended cab (5.9 Cummins turbo-intercooled), and a 1994 Ford F250 diesel 4WD extended cab (7.3 IDI turbo). We also have a 1998 Dodge AWD Grand Caravan that does "overnights" with air beds, a Duracell Powerpack 600 and a 21" TV and DVD.

I'm 29 with a 3 year old, 1 year old, and one on the way. We got the toy because people this small need some space on trips on any distance, setting up and taking down tents in the cold and rain with kids isn't a lot of fun, and separate sleeping areas is a must. Plus, now that we've got one using the toilet, having one close is nice.

Edited by getout

I'm 51 and a Commander in the US Navy. I've owned Toyota cars and trucks since 1986.

When it came time to buy a camper, I wanted a Toyota. Found it at the Hot Springs Ark. Habitat for Humanity during a silent auction. The only bidder was me, $2500 for a 91 Warrior with a gouged out left corner in the cab bed area and 200,000 miles on the odometer.

With the factory manuals, I've been able to avoid auto mechanics for the last ten years.

On the Warrior, I immediately replaced the timing belt, water pump, plugs, belts, distributor, rotor, engine oil, differential oil, transmission oil and coolant. The cab needed a lot of fiber glass and resin.

Then it was off on a trip from Memphis to the Grand Canyon. Then Florida twice. Next year was Sturgis, SD, the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Air Force Academy. This year, did a trip to Dallas, TX to collect fossils. Made several trips to hunt crystals in Arkansas. Dug some fluorite in Kentucky.

I have Marde Gras in New Orleans next on my mind - unless the Navy sends me somewhere else.

Just a couple of unreconstructed hippies living in a log cabin in the woods in Montana. I'm 69 and so is what's-her-name. I spent most of my working life as a shipwright building and repairing wooden boats on both coasts and Alaska. Repairing the coach part of my '85 Dolphin is not unlike tearing out the rot in an old boat and rebuilding with nice new wood. My wife was a fisherman in Southeast Alaska with her own 33-foot troller and we met when she took a class in wooden boat repair at the local community college that I was helping to teach. That was almost thirty years ago and so far its working out.

So is the Dolphin...