Here are some photos comparing a 1978 8" rear axle center-section to a 1987 dually 1-ton 8" center-section. Quite a few differences.

I also was just told by a Toyota dealer that they cannot even look up any parts for Toyota trucks built before 1979 because 1978 and older trucks lack conventional VIN numbers. I used to think Toyota was pretty good about standardizing parts - but maybe not? I've got a 1978 W50 5 speed trans and I just found out that there were 5 different shifters and small internal parts used for the same trans.

Here is the 8” pinion shaft from the ½ ton 1978 Toyota with coarse splines . .

100_0810.jpg

Here is the 8” pinon shaft from the 1 ton 1987 dually with fine splines . .

100_0811.jpg

Here are the two 8” center-sections side-by-side. Both have 4.10 ratios but the gears are different with each.

100_0807.jpg

Here is the coarse spline pinion flange from the 1978 ½ ton with 8” rear. Both spacing is narrower then the 1987 and it takes a driveshaft with smaller u-joints . .

100_0756.jpg

Here is the pinion flange from a 1987 1-ton dually with an 8” rear. Bolt spacing wider apart then the 1978 and takes a driveshaft with bigger u-joints . .

100_0755.jpg

Two axles side by side. 1978 ½ ton on top with the sealed ball bearing and weight bearing axle like a Ford F150. Bottom has the full-floating axle from a 1987 1 ton dually.

100_0765.jpg

100_0770.jpg

Splines at the ends of the axles are the same . .

100_0764.jpg

I think you will need something like this to be able to use your stock drive shaft:

flange527_640.jpg

Go to this website: http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/drive-shafts

Marlin Crawler should have everything you need for your trans too.

Hope it helps.

Andrew.

I think you will need something like this to be able to use your stock drive shaft:

flange527_640.jpg

Go to this website: http://www.marlincra...le/drive-shafts

Marlin Crawler should have everything you need for your trans too.

Hope it helps.

Andrew.

They don't sell one for 1978 Toyotas with the coarse 10 splines. At least I don't see one offered.

They don't sell one for 1978 Toyotas with the coarse 10 splines. At least I don't see one offered.

but that 27 spline 5 bolt pattern (if it will work for your existing 78 drive shaft) will work on the 87 3rd you have;or am I missing a reason you want to use the 78 one?

but that 27 spline 5 bolt pattern (if it will work for your existing 78 drive shaft) will work on the 87 3rd you have;or am I missing a reason you want to use the 78 one?

You are correct. I was just thinking from a different direction for some reason. It happens sometimes. Maybe it would work. I'll have to measure the bolt pattern. It would have to match the 1978 bolt patern. 1979 and up is different for trucks.

For tha adapter, Marin shows - 60mm x 60mm, 64mm x 56mm, 66mm x 66mm, 68.3mm x 60mm, and 70mm x 61.5mm. I'm going to go out and measure since it would be good to know. For now - since my 1978 center-section is fine - I'm going to stick it into the 1987 housing and make it all work. I'll repost later when I measure the 1978 bolt pattern.

Yes, that Marin flange will work. I just measured the bolt patterns. The 1978 is 2 3/16" X 2 1/2" (56 mm X 64 MM). The 1987 is 2 3/8" X 2 3/8" (60 mm X 60 mm). A good fix for $50. They don't have them in stock. Not sure if they commonly get them back in or not. That flange stuck onto the 1987 axle would enable my 1978 driveshaft to fit just fine. I already stuck the 1978 center-section into the 1987 FF housing and all looks good. I'm not sure if there is any advantage between the 1978 4.10 ratio with less gear teeth, or with the 1987 with more gear teeth. Different tooth counts but same ratios.

the reason for the different shifters and the shift box the part the Lever bolts on came in different configerations length and hight witch also reqired a different length main shift rod the one the the xteranel rod drops into . THIS TRANS W50 WAS USED IN THE TRUCK THE CORONA SEDAN AND WAGEN AND THE CELICA SPORTS CAR. THE HOLE IN THE FLOOR OF THE BODY VARIED IN SPEC FRONT TO REAR. ALSO THIS TRANS WAS USED IN THE JAPAN DOMESTEC MARKET. IN WHAT I DO NOT KNOW . I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE JAPAN TRANNYS SAME DEAL AS THE USED LOW MILES MOTERS FROM JAPAN. HAD TO CHANGE THE CASTING BOLT ON SHIFT BOX AND MAIN SHIFT ROD BECAUSE OTHERWISE THE SHIFT LEVER WOULD NEVER LINE UP WITH THE HOLE IN THE FLOOR.

BUT I THINK YOUR DEALER IS TELLING YOU CRAP THE REAL DEAL IS THE CHILDERN OF TODAY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A PARTS BOOK > if it is not in a computor they are cluess. the books have been throwen out with the microfish machine . instead of telling you its too old no more listing they make up a lie like that. i never had trouble back in the day when those trucks were new. LATER YEARS THE OLDER PARTS GUYS SAVED THE PRINTED BOOKS NOW THEY AND THE BOOKS ARE RETIRED> AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY WOULD PUT ONLY THE NEW CARS NEWER STUFF in the computer. AND IF OLDER LISTINGS WERE IN THERE THEY DELET IT . I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I HAD A 21 year old CORONA a78 truck AND MY 24 YEAR OLD DATSEN B210 . which i bought new. THEY would tell me you need a newer car we dont have anything on that anymore.

maybe i am on the wrong page with this one do you have anything like a custem driveline shop . ther is one in my town can make and balence custem drivelines shorten different length etc different ends

5Toyota

BUT I THINK YOUR DEALER IS TELLING YOU CRAP THE REAL DEAL IS THE CHILDERN OF TODAY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A PARTS BOOK >

Yeah !! the Toyota dealer here tried to tell me the lugnuts were not an OEM part. But when he ordered one to see, lo and behold was exactly the same.

vanman

BUT I THINK YOUR DEALER IS TELLING YOU CRAP THE REAL DEAL IS THE CHILDERN OF TODAY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A PARTS BOOK > if it is not in a computor they are cluess. the books have been throwen out with the microfish machine . instead of telling you its too old no more listing they make up a lie like that. i never had trouble back in the day when those trucks were new. LATER YEARS THE OLDER PARTS GUYS SAVED THE PRINTED BOOKS NOW THEY AND THE BOOKS ARE RETIRED> AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY WOULD PUT ONLY THE NEW CARS NEWER STUFF in the computer. AND IF OLDER LISTINGS WERE IN THERE THEY DELET IT . I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I HAD A 21 year old CORONA a78 truck AND MY 24 YEAR OLD DATSEN B210 . which i bought new. THEY would tell me you need a newer car we dont have anything on that anymore.

He may be full of it or maybe not. The dealer that just told me that is the one the specializes in selling older OEM parts at the website www.toyotapartsoverstock.com They are a real Toyota dealer but make extra money selling the older OEM parts on-line.

What he says may or may not be true. It's quite possible they have no books. Many tractor and auto dealers got rid of of their books and microfiche years ago. I know because I bought a lot from dealers when they changed over to digital data. Even my local NAPA dealer has gottten rid of all her books. NAPA parts prices may stink but they have some really good parts books. I have them all now.

On the subject of parts - I tried to get parts for my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan and my 1992 Dodge W200 diesel truck. The dealer said he could no longer look up the parts for either. So much for the once USA company that is now Italian (Fiat with the Chrysler name). I only went there because the parts I needed are not available aftermarket. That dealer DID order me parts for a later truck that he swore would be the same - and nope, they would not fit. It's a new dealer and I suspect inept at looking up parts.

I think I'm a bit spoiled from working on farm tractors and industrial equipment. I still buy OEM parts for tractors that are 60 years old with few problems.

the reason for the different shifters and the shift box the part the Lever bolts on came in different configerations length and hight witch also reqired a different length

I understand the need for different length or location shifters depending on application. What I did not expect was a bunch of shfiters with different diameter ends for same-year and same-model transmissions. That is the part I'm having trouble with right now. I bought a shifter from a 1978 Toyota truck with a W50 five-speed and it will not fit that trans I have that is also from a 1978 truck with a W50 five speed. Aisin made the transmissions for Toyota so I suppose Toyota was not the cause for all the changes in one year.

I kind of wish now I'd sent that trans back to the seller. I got it from a wrecking yard and it was shipped to me UPS. It came with no shifter. When I called the place - they claim they never sell those transmissions with the shifter and my old 4 speed shifter should "fit right in." Now I'm finding out just how difficult it is to find one that matches.

The trans seemed to be jammed in gear when I got it, so I pulled it completely apart to check it all out. Ends up it is like new inside. No wear anywhere. Must be a very low mile trans. So now I feel almost "married" to it and want to use it. I've also got $400 into it at this point.

• 6 months later...

Yes, "v6" third members as they are more commonly reffered to are totally different. Found in only turbo 4cyl or v6 trucks only (1 tons dually cab n chassis too) the often mentioned 4runner v6 third is different as well in the fact the gears are not interchangable but the differential itself (not carrier/third member) is