Choosing a motorhome

rickincal

Can anyone give me recommendations on a V-6? I'm looking at a 1992 Dolphin at about $8000, fiberglass, with around 80,000 miles, with a generator. Any feedback on this model? Price? It seems like a very good price for a unit in very good condition.

need to see pics if you can

their are alot of questions you have to ask yourself

on v6 they had a head gasket recall you want to make sure the recall was done (vin# call toyota)

you have to look all over inside for any type of water damage on walls lift up bed and look at the bed frame

how many hours does generator have?does it work good?

how are tires? make sure no cracks or weather damage or wear and tear tires can look new but have weather damage.

ask for maintenance record oil changes repairs...

check everything out have owner turn on frig hours before so you can see if it gets cold..turn ac on test furnace water pump test bathroom out for water leaks in shower sink flush toilet turn on water heater for hot water..lite over and stove....

search this forum their alot of good tips on buying a rv....

pics would help us help you..

$8,000 is in the higher side of toyhomes but if it looks in good condition and no water damage and drive train looks in good shape..meaning a Turn N Key Toyhome no repairs tires are good for couple years then yes it sounds fair.

still kind of hard to say anything without good pics of inside rv from front back sides roof

do you have a link of rv (craigslist ebay)so we can see the listing

good luck

Thanks very much for the reply. Judging from photos, it looks very clean. Great advice about the head gasket and water damage. Will ask and look. I don't have the link anymore, as the ad seems to have been deleted. But, it sounds like the price isn't so great it's worth driving 350 miles to see. I just may skip this one and wait for one in So Cal. I'm not in any hurry. Thank you very much, again.

i live in san diego their have been some nice ones on craigslist

here is one just search in rv section "toyota"

http://sandiego.crai...3455995283.html

don't fall in love at the first one

check out the different models and floor plans to find out what model you like

good place to start is the pic section on this site...

good luck

Thank you. I think I saw this one, but from what I read I'm not sure I'd be happy with a four banger. Sounds like they are very underpowered. I have a Tacoma V-6 and I think I'd really feel the difference. There are so many models it's overwhelming. Maybe I should start by excluding! I think I like the rear bath, separate shower, and I want a generator. Other than that, not too sure what else to look for. My problem probably is not going to be falling in love with the first one. It's probably going to be finding a rig this old that I find clean and in good general condition. Thank you, again.

you might want to listen to a generator in a toyhome first

their 30 years old and can be load and you might feel vibrations

the parts are hard to find to fix these generators

your going to want a good running generator no leaks and purrrr's

i use a potable generator and its works perfect

just want to make sure its a quite one honda/yamaha

They ALL look nice in the little CL pictures.

A few things I notice about the San Diego Dolphin:-

It might not have the 6-lug rear axle. Can't tell with the hub caps. But it is missing a front hub cap!;

Has a replaced mattress in the bunk. A standard 54" double (hanging over the sink). Might be there to make sleeping more comfortable OR because the original suffered water damage;

Typical inflated MPG claims. Standard when being sold;

Fridge broken. $400-$800 to repair or replace;

The included portable generator is probably too noisy to be used 'responsibly' in any camp ground;

Curtains missing in bunk;

Damaged(?) screen in dinette window? Poorly fitting (and ugly) curtains, for sure.

Question, sdboltdude, you said that $8000 is on the high side for one of these, but I'm seeing 90s homes, especially with the v-6, advertised much higher - $12k-$16k. So, $8k seems like a bargain, assuming a decent rig. Are people just paying much less than these advertised prices?

i have seen some from 6.5k up to 11k for some real nice ones

there is always a little wiggle room for $$$$

your prob right most are older that ive seen or are early 90-93

dont have that kind of budget.

good luck finding one...

your right Derickupnorth that was dolphin was ugly..(:

• 4 years later...

Can't find postings on microlite onan, mine just developed a leak after changing the oil, the leak appears to be coming from the top corner of cylinder head behind exhaust, it has overheated  thx too the deck falling apart put some holes in the case so that it would vent properly all around the motor didn't overheat for long. Question how easy is the onan 2.8 to crack or warp at head with so little torque on the head bolts? About a quarter ounce ever 2 hours please help.