I was just looking at Totem's new box and I realized that I need a nice secure storage space on my roof. I'm looking for something like one of those hard-sided roof carriers that are aerodynamically shaped.

Only thing is, I don't want one of those flimsy REI ones. I need one that's tough and can be locked up tight as a drum, and is weatherproof. Obviously weight is a concern, so a steel fab job is probably out, but if its thick ABS plastic, has something stronger than an access panel lockset on it, and can be bolted to the roof, I'm interested. Obviously the end facing forward would be smaller, to account for the aerodynamics.

I'm going to be carrying some toys with me that I really can't replace very easily, and I need to be able to secure them on the roof, and make it look as unobtrusive as possible. I figure a good tough carrier, painted white like the AC cowl, will do the trick, but it has to be secure. Like I said, those flimsy access panel locks like we have on our little storage areas will not cut it. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind replacing those cheap things with stronger locks, so maybe I can store my tools in the bin, instead of under my dinette.

I am looking at dimensions in the 60"L x 18"-24"W x 18'-24"D. Fairly long, and a little tall, but I don't think there will be a weight problem. I will probably be carrying no more than 50-60lbs. total, including the enclosure, up there.

I'm kinda running out of space, and I don't want to have to use my dormer for storage and my sofa as a bed. If I have to do that I might as well go to a bigger RV.

what exactly are the toys? what would justify the security that would not be stored inside and be worth the trek up on the roof?

I have a hidden gun safe (made by gun vault) inside my rig that is carriage bolted into the frame for irreplaceables.. the bolts are inaccessible. basically the only way one is getting into that safe is with the combination or a nice angle grinder which I think would make a terrible racket and also trigger another nasty surprise for them; for directly underneath it is my saddle tank. Of course my shepherds would be dead by then because they would gnaw the face off of a stranger like that otherwise. :)

Aluminum pickup truck tool box?

I thought about that. Won't it be too heavy? I know they are relatively light, but Toyhomes don't have the sturdiest roofs either.

I'm thinking thick ABS plastic, with quality locksets. Its weatherproof, sturdy, light and secure, unless someone goes after it with a sawzall, which I don't think you could do unobstrusively.

• 7 months later...

While skiing at Mt Bachelor, I discovered Packasport ski/cargo boxes. They are fiberglass, not plastic. They open to the rear, so I can access it from my ladder. Weight is 57 lbs. I used 1/2" pipe to fab the support frames.

PackaSport

PackaSport opened

• 3 years later...

Anyone else do a roof cargo? I have a guy selling a white sears x-cargo near me super cheap that i am thinking about getting to store the intex mariner when not in use... it looks just like the shroud of my AC but much bigger

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-03-05 at 5:03 PM, Totem said:

Anyone else do a roof cargo? I have a guy selling a white sears x-cargo near me super cheap that i am thinking about getting to store the intex mariner when not in use... it looks just like the shroud of my AC but much bigger

We like the x-cargo. That, and the little "rei-type" thing store all our lighter weight/bulky stuff. They didn't seem to affect the gas mileage. Less sunlight hits the roof, so it should be cooler inside. The wood roof rack distributes the weight well. 

image.jpeg

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, donttreadonme said:

Are there any pictures of any of these car top carriers from the top of the rig? How are they attached?

I just screwed them into the wooden roof rack w/ big washers. The x- cargo has little metal tabs on the bottom that are for threading webbing straps through. I bent a 90 degree angle in them so I could screw them in from the side. The black box came with some mounts (big u-bolts with wing nuts) for putting them on a roof rack but they didn't really fit my set up. I'll try to take some pictures. 

My plan if I can find one that I like the fit of, is to remove my roof antennae rack and re-use those holes for the webbing strap grid and place two of them like you did.great setup there.

4 hours ago, Bikemike said:

I just screwed them into the wooden roof rack w/ big washers. The x- cargo has little metal tabs on the bottom that are for threading webbing straps through. I bent a 90 degree angle in them so I could screw them in from the side. The black box came with some mounts (big u-bolts with wing nuts) for putting them on a roof rack but they didn't really fit my set up. I'll try to take some pictures. 

I have a warrior with no roof rack. :( 

Make one!  The one that was on there probably wasn't that strong anyway. I used pressure treated wood from home cheapo. Look in the culled wood stack for a deal or pick out some warped ones and ask the manager for a discount. They will be happy to get rid of it and the warp can actually be beneficial when spanning the width of the roof (doubled up and screwed together). I spent about $30 on my wood and 2-3 days. It oughtta last until a suitable aluminum replacement turns up at the scrap yard. Plus, it looks kinda cool with the wood. Thanks totem. 

Edited by Bikemike

I have given thought to building a rear bumper mounted storage box that would be big enough to hold 2 mountain bikes and the spare tire. My plan is to make it full width and mount rear lights/license plate on it.

I would make it from thin plywood reinforced with a few layers of fiberglass. Such a box is light and very strong.