Getting the best MPG on Interstate

centralman

I'm just as shocked as anyone. I believe Derek is also wrong; it would be 123.5% assuming 22rec 17 MPG standard (which in itself is generous) getting 21 = 1.235 x 17. I posted a picture of the swift truck; i cannot see its mirrors; maybe I was closer (like under 50 feet)? can someone do the math on that picture? Not sure if it was 150 feet

outbound and inbound are reversed but now I see where you are in your math...but 21 is 1.235 of 17... I am approaching this with the assumption that conditions drafting, wind speed, non drafting etc. will alter the manilla nominal operating MPG (in this case 17) while you are looking at the delta between the two MPGs (10 and 21). Its quite possible that 80-90 westbound across Indiana is all down hill mostly too.

Yeah I am beginning to think this nor Easter wind pattern was opposite of the normal west to east wind pattern. On way home the rig was struggling to keep 61 and never in OD , while on way there was in OD whole time. I clearly cannot see swiftys mirrors in the pic so I probably was 6 car lengths? Unsure anyway mr. Derek, I was so shocked I almost thought I was in a miata!

Judging from the car in the pic that was to the left of you, I would say you were more like 4-5 carlengths, somwhere between 60-75'. The pic may be 2D, but it's pretty obvous that's not 150'.

What you learned in Drivers Ed about one length per 10mph is true, but only for a normally weighted vehicle with good braking ability, not an overweight beast with inferior braking ability. If I was following as close as that pic suggests, and the semi locked it up and/or jacked at 60 mph, I doubt my Toy would be able to avoid it, what with being blocked on the left by that car. And I just jacked up my bias to full rears too.

Too close man. You're playing with fire. It's not worth the 1-2mpg, especially if you have the kids and wife along.

Be the turtle.