Getting the best MPG on Interstate

centralman

Hello there,

I am preparing for a 5,500 miles trip to Mexico this Christmas and New Year from Vancouver, BC and I will be driving the whole I-5. Maintaining 60mph on I-5 is a challenge enough when everyone is driving 75mph or more. Since slowing down is really not an option, does anyone has any idea how to get the best fuel economy on the highway?

At around 60mph, my average fuel economy is around 11mpg.

I just drove 2800 miles, Colorado and back, and got 16 mpg. ('91 Winne Warrior with V6)

I was able to get what I believe were decent miles per gallon because I didn't "punch it" (except maybe 3 times for just a few seconds each time) and I hardly used my brakes (stop, go, stop, go), except going down long, steep descents. I went as slow as 40 up some very steep ascents. I pulled off the road if a couple or more cars got behind me on single lane portions of the highway. But most importantly I made sure I kept the speed inside "the sweet spot" window; between 51 and 54, but mostly at 53. Some people believe these speeds are too slow, possibly because money is not an issue for them so higher speeds aren't an issue for them, or, they need to get to their destination within a certain time frame, or, they feel a certain need to conform and stay with or almost up with the speeders or, they're just plain impatient. I believe I've seen a sign on I-5 that reads "Minimum Speed 45". So, keep it above that and all is legally well.

But if you truly want to save gas and not go under the minimum speed limit, you need to learn to be mellow at the wheel. Just get into the far right lane, and stay in the right lane, and keep an eye in the mirror for safety sake, and sit back and enjoy the "moment" and literally allow the opportunity to unwind nice and easy while being present, i.e. not overshadowed by an insatiable need or desire to keep up with the masses who, by the way, are generally wired by time and wanting to get from point A to point B with the least about of discomfort possible.

The choice is yours. I-5 should be at least a 16 mpg adventure if you want it to be. If you were getting 11, I suspect you were pushing it. Remember, don't punch it. Keep it in the sweet spot (window) and play some easy listening music to keep you contained and happy. Happy driver, happy ToyHome.

Agree w/ Jeff, just cruise and chill out. The law says you're allowed to drive 50-55 on I-5. It does have 2 lanes for a reason. My little rig can go faster, but prefer to stay in the 50-60 mph range even if prob pisses everyone off. Wish I could take my doors off and cruise at 35 sometimes! There are back roads to get thru our state where 45-55 is comfortable, but not as direct as I-5 to be sure.

@5,500 miles in ~1 week?

Seems like a lot of miles to be traveling in such a short time.

We get off the interstate when we can. I know that stretch of I-5 between the bottom of the hill at Gorman and up to Sacrament can be interesting, BOTH lanes are cruising along at 80-85.

we have been trying to get off the interstate when we can. Rt-99 is pretty neat and offers some reasonable nite stopovers.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

We also drive I-5 all the time, my speed is 50-53 no matter what the posted speed limit is. I couldn"t agree with Jeffery more, that is a good speed for MPG. I would say that 45 would be the best for MPG in our 84 Dolphid. We consistantly get 18MPG, that is an average for the past 53 thousand miles. Darrel

It's a three step process to do it right.

1. Pull into a truck stop.

2. Wait for a truck that says "Swift" to get on the interstate.

3. Follow that truck.

Swift governs their entire fleet at 63mph. That's my rig's sweet spot for staying in OD without downshifting. Drafting the big rig helps quite a bit. I've heard the same from others.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I guess slow driving is the key to better fuel economy. This actually is my first RV even I owned it for like 3 and a half years now I still consider myself a newbie. Never driven such a slow vehicle before. Did kinda know about the 51-55 sweet spot zone and tried it but had gotten quite a bit of horns and middle fingers from different motorists in the I-5. Yes there is a slow lane but in a lot of stretches in the I-5 there are only 2 lanes on each direction and when large container trucks try to overtake you cos you are that slow they inadvertently slow the fast lane vehicles behind them down and some folks don't take it kindly. To be honest I do feel the pressure and I found that by at least maintaining 60mph I get minimal trouble on the road.

3. Follow that truck.

Swift governs their entire fleet at 63mph. That's my rig's sweet spot for staying in OD without downshifting. Drafting the big rig helps quite a bit. I've heard the same from others.

Sigh ... I agree with you sometimes I try to do that too (following big trucks) but it seems maintaining 63mph is not as easy as it seems, sometime even a slight uphill I can't keep up with the trucks with my MH.

On a 2800 mi trip we averaged 13.7 at 60-65. Do very carful tune up and cleaning the EFI. Tire pressure is important

Throw a bunch of cr*p away, your in Ca you can buy anything you want as you need it.

750 mi a day for a week is a killer grind. RT99 is way cool, old 99 is even cooler, but no way at 750 mi a day. By the way where did the week come.

Why is slowing down not an option? Stop worrying about everyone else and drive 55. 5mph is negligible and costing you valuable mpgs. Plus it's putting unnecessary stress on your rig. THINK! When these were built highway/interstate speed limits were 55!

Oh, sorry my mistake, the trip is approx 3500 miles or 5700 kms and it should last around 10 days. Yes, maybe I should try to gradually slow down a bit to see how things go. I used to tell my friends one of the perks that comes with the Toyota MH is that you will never get a speeding ticket on the highway, cos it usually is not capable to speed.

Toys are built to "travel at the speed of smell"

3. Follow that truck.

LOL I thought I was the only one who did this. my rig loves drafting. i usually do it on a loaded down one at 55 though.

some other things you can do:

* inflate tires to the nose of being unsafe. (will make a stiffer ride though be warned)

* only use OD when drafting, downhill or in a sweetspot of favorable rear winds but DO use OD.

* change that air filter if its dirty

* recall all the times that you got angry and stuck behind slow people and enact your revenge.

I don't think that these motorhomes have good enough brakes to draft anything. If you are close enough to get the draft, you are too close to stop if the rig ahead of you slams on the brakes in an emergency. If anyone drafts me, no matter what I am driving, I SLOW DOWN. I have put 350,000 miles on motorcycles and I refuse to be made into a sandwich between two cars or trucks.

To get better mileage, I get off the slab and drive 50-55 and enjoy the trip. My wife and I got back from our last trip (2300 miles) and only drove 100 miles of interstate. We enjoy the trip much more. We try to be realistic in planning the trips so that we can enjoy ourselves. When i was younger, I rushed everywhere. I really enjoy the slower pace now.

I don't think that these motorhomes have good enough brakes to draft anything. If you are close enough to get the draft, you are too close to stop if the rig ahead of you slams on the brakes in an emergency. If anyone drafts me, no matter what I am driving, I SLOW DOWN. I have put 350,000 miles on motorcycles and I refuse to be made into a sandwich between two cars or trucks.

I second this. Not only that, I have found that my Toyota gets unstable when she's caught in the slipstream about 75-100 yards behind a semi. So I back off and let them go.

If I need to get someplace fast, I book a flight.

Toyota MHs were built in the era when the speed limit on the Interstate was 55mph. They are designed and geared to go 55mph.

To get better mileage, I get off the slab and drive 50-55 and enjoy the trip. My wife and I got back from our last trip (2300 miles) and only drove 100 miles of interstate. We enjoy the trip much more. We try to be realistic in planning the trips so that we can enjoy ourselves. When i was younger, I rushed everywhere. I really enjoy the slower pace now.

When I read the (above) posts about "drafting" I thought to myself "holy sheet", no way. Now I'm not suggesting to those who draft, not to draft, however, even though my rig is great, top to bottom, the brakes aren't anything like my Tundra's or other vehicles that i've owned. In fact, the brakes seem to be the weak link of this motor home. When I was driving on my trip from Western Washington to Colorado and back early last month, a few times I found myself unintentionally in the tail end of a semi's slipstream and found myself getting sucked in. But I know if some heavy braking were to take place in front of me, I'm not so sure I'd want to "slam" on the brakes, and/or, what the outcome might be.

Anyway, I have to second, or I guess "third" Bob c and Straygoose. I'll draft in a bicycle race, but that's it. Besides, to tell you the truth, and I'm not suggesting truck drivers are "bad people" in any way, but I don't like semi's. In fact, I disdain them. They all are generally, but not always, speeding. And speeding can be very dangerous. Not to mention, I don't think they appreciate it when someone "legally" is in their way, i.e. going over the minimum but under the maximum speed. I always give them plenty of room when they come roaring by, and I've noticed some like to "buzz" me, come up close from behind then slide around, as if to say "I'm bigger than you are, BUDDY"! I'm sure there's a lot of great truckers out there but even if my brakes allowed me to stop on a dime, I'd never temp a trucker's "emotional capacity" by drafting off them. Who knows what mind altering substance might be in their bloodstream.

"Anyway, I have to second, or I guess "third" Bob c and Straygoose. I'll draft in a bicycle race, but that's it. Besides, to tell you the truth, and I'm not suggesting truck drivers are "bad people" in any way, but I don't like semi's. In fact, I disdain them."

Is it just me, or do truckers seem to have a problem with motor homes, no matter their size? For some reason, I sense that when they are passing or are being passed by a MH they get real aggressive and don't want to give a single inch. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I had one instance last year where a semi cut me off. I laid on the horn, and he immediately slowed down to like 40mph (this is on I-95 going into Baltimore, mind you). I pulled out to pass him and he slowly started edging over into the left lane like he was trying to run me into the median. I had my Class B then, so I had a lot more bhp to play with, but considering it was at night and on the I-95 on the north edge of Baltimore, it was a little scary. That was the worst, but there have been way too many other close calls, all with semis.

I have heard other MH owners talk about this, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

You guys must need to adjust your brakes or get 1 ton fronts. There is a bolt on the rears for this and a sticky on it in this forum..i had a deer jump me this summer along with some ahola in the loop cut me off at a stop on the Dan Ryan. Both times I locked em up and both times she groaned and laid tracks dead stop. I drafted a swift today in the rig, he cruised a steady 61. I am pretty sure he would have to jackknife to get me and if that happened I'm screwed anyway. Normally I back road long trips but I will draft me the crap out of some swift.

a

You guys must need to adjust your brakes or get 1 ton fronts. There is a bolt on the rears for this and a sticky on it in this forum..i had a deer jump me this summer along with some ahola in the loop cut me off at a stop on the Dan Ryan. Both times I locked em up and both times she groaned and laid tracks dead stop. I drafted a swift today in the rig, he cruised a steady 61. I am pretty sure he would have to jackknife to get me and if that happened I'm screwed anyway. Normally I back road long trips but I will draft me the crap out of some swift.

Actually I just got my brakes done, and I'm going to fiddle with the bias this week, since I'm still not happy with them. But, in that sticky you mentioned, there is a divergence of opinion as to what to do with that Load Sensing Valve. One person says set it to neutral, one says set it to full-rear bias, and a third says disable the thing entirely. My valve is set pretty much neutral right now, so I'm going to slowly back her off until I can get decent braking from the rears. I figure option #3 (disabling the valve) is a no-go. The valve is there for a reason, so I'm going to let it do its job.

As far as one-ton fronts go; that's a great idea, since I have a half-ton front and a one-ton rear setup. Is there anything on the forum about how to go about doing it?

Still ain't gonna draft a semi though, no matter how good the brakes are. Tail-gating is dangerous, and in most places illegal, even if they don't enforce it. Also, tail-gating someone is a good way to incite a road-rage incident.

My brakes will lock up all 6 wheels on dry pavement. I tried them before I bought the MH. I also practice emergency stops with every vehicle I own on a regular basis on back roads without traffic. Emergency stops will put your brakes just to the brink of locking up but not quite skidding the tires. Most people have no idea how much pressure it takes on the brake pedal to stop these things quickly. Most people also don't know that trucks and motorhomes can and will roll over if your are braking really hard and jerk the steering wheel in either direction.

I don't care how great your brakes work. Even a fighter pilot has a lag time between seeing something and reacting to it. Unless you are totally wired with super reaction time, drafting is not safe. I TRY to stay alert to what is going on, but, I adjust the radio once in a while or look out the side window at the scenery once in a while. If the truck ahead of you hits the brakes at that moment, you or someone else could be dead. My wife will change radio stations or adjust things (including heat, A/C, radio, etc) while I am driving because I have gotten paranoid. I figure that I worked 40 years to get to retirement, I want to enjoy my retirement for another 40 years.

I started slowing down for tailgaters after I got rear ended on my motorcycle the second time. After a 1/4 mile at 10 mph under the speed limit, most people will finally pass. I don't care if people flip me off when they go by, I just wave with all of my fingers up and give them a smile. On most trips, I probably pull into the gas station within 15 minutes of the ones in a hurry anyway.

My brakes will lock up all 6 wheels on dry pavement. I tried them before I bought the MH. I also practice emergency stops with every vehicle I own on a regular basis on back roads without traffic. Emergency stops will put your brakes just to the brink of locking up but not quite skidding the tires. Most people have no idea how much pressure it takes on the brake pedal to stop these things quickly. Most people also don't know that trucks and motorhomes can and will roll over if your are braking really hard and jerk the steering wheel in either direction.

I don't care how great your brakes work. Even a fighter pilot has a lag time between seeing something and reacting to it. Unless you are totally wired with super reaction time, drafting is not safe. I TRY to stay alert to what is going on, but, I adjust the radio once in a while or look out the side window at the scenery once in a while. If the truck ahead of you hits the brakes at that moment, you or someone esle could be dead. My wife will change radio stations or adjust things (including heat, A/C, radio, etc) while I am driving because I have gotten paranoid. I figure that I worked 40 years to get to retirement, I want to enjoy my retirement for another 40 years.

I started slowing down for tailgaters after I got rear ended on my motorcycle the second time. After a 1/4 mile at 10 mph under the speed limit, most people will finally pass. I don't care if people flip me off when they go by, I just wave with all of my fingers up and give them a smile. On most trips, I probably pull into the gas station within 15 minutes of the ones in a hurry anyway.

I agree. Any high profile vehicle is subject to a rollover if you slam on the brakes. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty.

Toyota MHs are actually pretty flimsy as far as the structure above the chassis. Somewhere on this forum there is a picture of what happened to one that got into a head-on with a pickup. The driver died, but somehow a couple of passengers in the back miraculously survived. I have no idea how they could have, judging by that photo.

The Toy was unrecognizable. Re-read that last sentence.

I have a feeling that a rollover or a high-speed rear-ender would pretty much look the same, minus the front-end being shredded. I could be wrong, but I don't want to find out.

Interesting fact I found when researching my 1979 toy drive train.

It appears Toyota was way ahead of other mfg,s and actually cutting edge for its time.

Those of us old enough to remember the 55mph federal max (1974-1987), seems Toyota developed the entire drivetrain of their pickups to reach max efficiency and power at this speed.

I know my mh loves 55, and averaged about 24 mpg on a 1400 mile road trip. My toy only weighs 4000 lbs. Which I'm sure accounts for such great mpg. Over 55 my mpg went down.

Interesting fact I found when researching my 1979 toy drive train.

It appears Toyota was way ahead of other mfg,s and actually cutting edge for its time.

Those of us old enough to remember the 55mph federal max (1974-1987), seems Toyota developed the entire drivetrain of their pickups to reach max efficiency and power at this speed.

I know my mh loves 55, and averaged about 24 mpg on a 1400 mile road trip. My toy only weighs 4000 lbs. Which I'm sure accounts for such great mpg. Over 55 my mpg went down.

It wasn't just Toyota. Detroit geared their cars for 55mph too. The problem with American cars were the big blocks. Even running as efficiently as possible, they still drank too much gas.

Everything from that era that was built for US use is geared for 55mph.

Just got back from a b-day camping trip

kept my speed at 55-60 RV ran great. got 16mpg

almost all up hill.....

My first trip i had a cap & rotter miss fire (did not know tell failed smog///changed cap-rotter and spark pugs & wires runs great passed smog)

my mpg was 10mpg....just a simple tune up helped allot

post-6388-0-94863200-1352122426_thumb.jp

I just got back from a 149.22 miles mile trip (300 miles total).

Picked up a Swift at 61 miles an hour and sat about 10 - 15 car lengths back.

on way home did not draft anything at all.

The results were staggering; traveling west bound on 80-90 turnpike for the majority of the ride I arrived at my destination with 1/2 tank of gas left.

The majority of the trip as mentioned was at 60-61 mph with occasional variance.

I basically averaged 21 MPG on my way there which I just cannot believe.

On my way home I ran 61 Mph and made sure not to draft anything. It was a struggle to maintain the 61 evenly like I easily did with the drafting.

On my way home I traveled east bound with wind behind my back.

I had to stop for gas about half way home. this means I got 10 MPG on way home.

simply amazing.

I don't think at 60 that 10 car lengths or whats shown in my pic is anything wrong. they always taught me in drivers ed which was in 1990 to keep 1 car per 10 mph. in this case it would be 6. I did about 10-15, with 6 at closest.

post-4814-0-35741100-1352146562_thumb.jp

The mileage is very impressive Totem. One car length per 10 mph was the old standard for automobiles. They now want more than that according to my daughter when she took driver's ed. I would think that 10 to 15 lengths should be ok.

What wind conditions were you driving in, what about elevation at each end? 21 mpg vs 10 mpg seems like a pretty extreme difference. I get 15 mpg on a regular basis but with wind and terrain can drop to 11 with wind and hills.

As far as following distance goes, just don't forget that you aren't paying attention to the road all the time, no matter how careful you are! A glance at the rear view mirrors, a look at the scenery, attempting to read a sign that you almost missed due to the big rig next to you, almost anything can cost you a couple or three seconds, which is a long ways, even at 55 mph!

Drafting works pretty well for some folks, the risk is way to high for me! I used to have a friend that drove a VW van. He'd get about 5-10 feet behind a big truck, no way could they see him, and take his foot off the gas, then just touch it once in a while! Except for hills, he'd stay right there. He tested and got over 90 mpg. I only rode with him once and it scared several years off my life!

Steve

Just got back from a b-day camping trip

kept my speed at 55-60 RV ran great. got 16mpg

almost all up hill.....

My first trip i had a cap & rotter miss fire (did not know tell failed smog///changed cap-rotter and spark pugs & wires runs great passed smog)

my mpg was 10mpg....just a simple tune up helped allot

How often should the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires be replaced?

Yeah I am beginning to think this nor Easter wind pattern was opposite of the normal west to east wind pattern. On way home the rig was struggling to keep 61 and never in OD , while on way there was in OD whole time. I clearly cannot see swiftys mirrors in the pic so I probably was 6 car lengths? Unsure anyway mr. Derek, I was so shocked I almost thought I was in a miata!

Done a lot of racing on road bikes and of course, drafting is essential, can reduce output 30% of output of lead bike, if one want's to be on the podium or at least finish the race with the leaders. AND, in training I've drafted off of 4 wheel vehicles more than once ;-0, however, need I say, this is crazy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7JJlvXTfc

then there is this