Any East Coasters evac in your ToyH before Sandy Arrived?

Jeffrey

or, if you road out the storm at home, how'd you, your family and your MH fair? (I suspect if you thought your rig potentially might leak, this would have been THE Test.)

I've been reading, not necessarily from MSM, how catastrophic things are on the coast, especially in Jersey, and beyond. And how the situation may get considerably worse, still.

I've always got gear and grub in ours just in case any number of "turbulent" (natural or man made) events take place, and we have to move out of our home, into the rig.

Everyone should have a bit of survivalist in their blood. If they don't, the gene pool may be a little smaller.

I just heard on the news, Nov 2, that some people are getting stupid on the east coast trying to get gas and food. Sorry people, the event happened already, the time to plan was last year. Keep enough gas, food, and whatever you are comfortable with handy and lock the doors. Only a few friends and relatives are welcome when the shift hits the fan.

there are aways people who dont listen and pay later saw one person on the news said i have running water but no way to cook. TOLD MY WIFE NO WAY WOULD I NOT KEEP A COLMAN STOVE IN MY HOUSE> I TOO ALSO KEEP READY I HAVE HAD A MOUNTAIN BLOW UP ON ME IN WASH STATE> USE TO LIVE WAY OUT POWER NOT DEPENDABLE AT ALL>

I got out of Baltimore on Saturday and made it to Kentucky, avoiding not only the hurricane, but the blizzard in West Virginia also. I'm glad I did too, if the news I have heard is any indication. I have a lot of friends up and down the I-95 corridor from New Jersey to DC and while the folks in the south end (DC-BAL) fared OK, a few of my friends further north have had some serious problems.

I used to live in South Florida, and several years ago we went through six storms in fourteen months. I also sat alone in my condo one night while taking a direct hit from Wilma. Thrilling, but I don't want to do that again.

I know that getting the hell out of town was the smart thing to do. I just hope my friends are able to pull things together. It's going to be awhile before Jersey and a couple of other places are anywhere near back to normal.

The benefits of having a ToyHome, or as far as that goes, any RV, but especially the Toy for it's "camel" like fuel efficiency and noted dependability, is having it as a "second" home, i.e. one with all the primary amenities needed for living in relative comfort while navigating in and around an adverse and unpredictable landscape. Whether to out run (at a casual pace) an impending storm bearing down on ones region, e.g. "Sandy", or to move into if ones primary home is possibly damaged or leveled, from either a natural or man-made disaster, it's an invaluable asset that one can't afford not to have. I've mentioned (in other posts) that I'm finishing up a solar system on our rig, in addition to an external propane hookup so our setup will give us added flexibility if our RV should be called into some form of permanent, short term duty. We've got plenty of provisions in our primary home to ride out a veritable kaleidoscope of storms, but today I basically duplicated, on a smaller scale, filling our rv with the basic necessities to support myself and my girlfriend and our pets, if the need should arise.

I don't consider myself a "survivalist". Those days (back in the 20th century) are long over with. However, being "prepared" for a number of potentially volatile situations, revolving around an economy/society teetering on what I perceive as "the brink", is only natural considering how the insanely ludicrous mindset is of todays demented politicians, from BOTH sides, top to bottom. Add to that the potential of a natural disaster and our Toy Home, as back-up, is looking sweeter, by the minute.

We now live in earthquake country but I've lived all over the US and some overseas and nowhere can you live risk free from mother nature. Several Hurricanes, Monsoons, Earthquakes, Storms, and a close encounter with a Tornado so far.

Yes our Toy is well stocked and ready to go, plus we've water and the Costco dried foodstufs stored. Boy Scouts best lesson is "be prepared".

vanman

It is nice to have an RV but they are real hard to park in down town Manhattan. People have a tendency to not believe the experts warnings and stay put. Often they decide at the last minute maybe that was not a good ideal unfortunately so did ever one else. Being prepared is a good thing and a MH helps but you’ll need your wits, skills and a plan you may even have to decide whether to walk or take the MH. If there is no gas to be had you’re pretty will stuck with a 150 mile circle.

Ok pardon me you are a thrivalist . I'll still call me self a survivalist, because some one has to carry on the torch. ;-)

Amen Bob C, now the libs in NYC are getting pushed around by the illegal gun toters... Not me. I ccp and stay in the 38 where I am welcome.

I try to keep 20 - 25 gallons of gas on hand at all times in the garage. I rotate it constantly. I burn about 3 gallons every time I mow the yard, snow blowing takes 1 -2 gallons (190 ft driveway) and I burn wood so I use a fair amount of gas in my chainsaws. I also carry 5 gallons with me when I travel with the toyhouse. The bumps my range up to 300 + miles.

My generator gets run every month. I can run my furnace and the neighbors furnace for a long time by simply hooking up to the generator. I am not a doomsday survivalist but I can and will survive if the shift hits the fan. I am also a very good shot and can feed my family a very very long time.

It is nice to have an RV but they are real hard to park in down town Manhattan. People have a tendency to not believe the experts warnings and stay put. Often they decide at the last minute maybe that was not a good ideal unfortunately so did ever one else. Being prepared is a good thing and a MH helps but you’ll need your wits, skills and a plan you may even have to decide whether to walk or take the MH. If there is no gas to be had you’re pretty will stuck with a 150 mile circle.

Maybe you can't park it downtown, but I used to park my Class B in Harlem*, right around 128th and Lennox, whenever I was working in NYC. Never had a single problem, unlike a few other towns up East that were considered RV friendly. I would not hesitate to take my Gran Ville to the same place if I still worked in the city. Matter of fact, with the GV being so compact, I don't think parking her downtown would be impossible either. Maybe a little harder to find a good spot, but it would still be park-able.

* This was not your Grandfather's Harlem. Harlem is pretty much gentrified now. I would stay there and work in Queens and go back and forth on the subway. I would walk the streets and hit the late night spots and never have a problem.

I was just watching the Sunday morning news. The gas lines in the northeast are blocks long. The reporter interviewed a couple that was complaining that they could not get gas for their generator. They did a good job at getting a generator but forgot to get a supply of gas? I guess that is almost planning for an emergency.

I was just watching the Sunday morning news. The gas lines in the northeast are blocks long. The reporter interviewed a couple that was complaining that they could not get gas for their generator. They did a good job at getting a generator but forgot to get a supply of gas? I guess that is almost planning for an emergency.

Good thing the Toyota gets 13-15/gal. With that 10gal. limit in Jersey, a big block Class A or C might not be able to get out of state, while the Toy would make it probably all the way down to around Baltimore, where they didn't even lose power.

Another reason to like the Toy: Its gas-crunch proof. Well, almost gas-crunch proof, anyway. :)

I keep a fuel storage caddy (aluminum cell with hand crank pump on wheels) filled with 30 gallons of gas at all times I rotate it as needed for lawn mowers, boat and the toy before a trip to reach full.I couldn't agree more with Bob C.; buying a generator and not stocking some gas is seriously silly.

I am actually re thinking the 9000 watt gas generator I have currently too; just having a stock of gas doesn't mean it will last.

My options are that portable diesel genset I saw (the cheaper option at $700) or going crazy and buying a wood gas still unit that I have seen online for $1795.

The diesel genset could probably handle =running on several different oils and would not be as versatile as the GEK.

The GEK still has been successfully used to power a honda accord and several gas generators with no ill effects.