It appears that the part of the muffler that connects to the inside has come loose on the passenger side. I think when my gray water tank fell off it may have pulled the pipe out. Does anyone know how the pipe is supposed to connect and where it connects underneath? There is only one connection holding on the muffler at this point. I am wondering if I can drive it without it falling off so I can get it repaired? Apparently I just drove it about 150 miles without it coming off! I don't know much about trucks, but am learning fast with a rig this old!

Bailing wire and duck tape is a man's ( person's ) best friend... lol

Can you get underneath it ? wrap a couple metal clothes hangers around it and tie it up to frame etc ...

Local muffler shop should be able to fix ya right up.

Yes, I was considering duct tape..I can get under it, but it is not easy.. I will wait until the early fall snow melts! I am not sure what bailing wire is..Never in my life have I had to get under a vehicle! Now I find I had better check it out to see if any thing is loose. As soon as I learn something, then I probably won't have to deal with that particular problem. Then another new one that I have never seen before pops up. It keeps my synapses firing... :help:

DON'T use duck tape, you'll just burn it up on the exhaust pipe/muffler.

Bailing wire is just that wire that they use to bail hay! lol

Local Ace hard ware or for the matter any hard ware store has a small roll of wire, something everybody should have in the tool box, coarse along with Duct Tape . :)

Metal cloths hangars hold up a lot of mufflers.

Find an independent muffler shop, the'll fix you up, and won't cost an arm and leg.

I just had everything aft of the muffler (and a new muffler) replaced, Custom bent pipes to get it around the axle, and out the back, $180.

I also had them use a larger pipe. The original was about 1 3/4, the new one is 2 inch pipe

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks and I like the coat hanger idea the best. I have a good independent shop to work on the muffler problem. I am not sure where the pipe is supposed to go because obviously I don't know anything about mufflers! Can somewhere tell me where it connects on a 1981 Sunrader. The muffler runs widthwise in front of the back tires and exhausts on the driver's side. But where does the other side connect into the exhaust system?

• 3 months later...

is there a way to make the muffler more quiet? i just had my system done but its not as quiet as id like(tho it is more quiet than be for)...in all fairness i have no other to compare it to.....is it possible to get it escalade quiet?

if you have a 2 inch + Magnaflow on just have them reduce it back down to under 2 inches comming out. This quiets it nice, improves hp a tad with proper back pressure.

Mine turned out awesome.