Are There Any Decent Ones Left ?

OFDPOS

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so please explain how Toyota MHs are exempt from NADA pricing guidelines. I really want to know, because I just bought mine at right around book value, but if she's really, really worth four times that ($10.4K), then she's going up for sale tomorrow morning.

I like her and everything, but if someone wants to give me $9K for her, then she's as good as gone. That's a 10% discount from her "true" value, so let me know if you're interested. ;)

OK, so please explain how Toyota MHs are exempt from NADA pricing guidelines. I really want to know, because I just bought mine at right around book value, but if she's really, really worth four times that ($10.4K), then she's going up for sale tomorrow morning.

I like her and everything, but if someone wants to give me $9K for her, then she's as good as gone. That's a 10% discount from her "true" value, so let me know if you're interested. ;)

-good for you, a great deal you got, or maybe not?; and book value may just be what yours is worth to the insurance company or to the guy that had it sitting around "unused" whom sold it to you. Not to sound too smarmy but unused isn't always good a good thing especially with aged vehicles. A Granville is not a Sunrader or Americana; it most likely hasn't had to have an axle/hub swap and 6 wheels done to it etc being an 87... Some might say they would never do such a thing as restore one or pay that, but the right condition rig and the right enthusiast would argue it because of condition, proximity etc. I saw an Americana that I would pay 9-10k for all day; but the guy wouldn't sell it for that price. Why? because it was schloaded with copper, hardwoods, awesome skylights etc. Bones are important; and muscles should be exercised.

Also Nada is calculating based on the truck with no other considerations, including granite counter tops, temperpedic matresses etc. Of course this is true of any vehicle to some extent; most insurance companies wont cover improvements or replacements and consider it "maintenance".

I turn the question back to you... would you use Nada to value a mint oem 57 ford thunderbird? would you use nada to value a mint classic car at all? If you do great; you still wont get/find the car at that price. I am convinced its a low ball tool to help insurance companies manage expectations and its usefulness increases with the lessor amount of age on the vehicle being considered; a place to start negotiating the avoidance of tort on performance etc.

NADA is the national dealers association price. Basically what they will give you if you trade it in, squat. The real price is what we see them sell for again and again. I would feel guilty if the sellers thought the NADA value was what it was really worth. Probably would still buy it but I would feel guilty about it. Kelley Blue Book has a RV book which you have to buy for every year has a much closer price to the real price but still low. When I bought my Sunrader 8 years ago, NADA valued it at less than 2 grand but KBB valued it at 5500. I paid 6000 so it was close.

Linda S

Yeah; it might smell like pee but who cares; i wouldn't even feel the need for a facetime conference on that one.. but then again i could never buy it; too far away being in California.

As for the truck camper Derek, they stated the dimensions; I believe it would fit a long bed Tundra or Tacomas just fine at 8 feet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-1988-Toyota-Odyssey-Class-C-RV-Incredible-Condition-18-20-mpg-MUST-SEE-/181030721494?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item2a264597d6#ht_41599wt_1165

this person will fly you out there and has very nicely posted a movie tour on her ebay auction thereby proving my theory on this sort of thing :)

Despite that, no bids. Maybe nobody trusts a Seller claiming 18-20mpg for an Odyssey!

I guess I'll watch out of curiosity to see if there's any sniping.

Never really understood why people claim "up to 20mpg!?" I mean just say it "around 15" still leaps and bounds better than almost any other RV..

Common guys you know fully well the inverse correlation formula multiplier equation when selling a toy home ... Which is mpg = (price / 5 * 15 + X)/1000 where X is how many years you have had the rig for sale....

um.... i got mine for 1600...

and it was listed for 2500. 88k miles. mild rust.... everything works. Here in 2012... it even had tires bought that year.

i threw some carpet in it and listed it for 6k and got at least a lot of interest. if not serious enough to sell it... probably would have gone for 5k. There was a point in late july where it was the only one for sale in california on craigslist that should tell you something.

theres a huge amount of cash to be made on these things just in the ones we talk about casually.

I was about to fly to new mexico to buy a sunrader for 3k. I dont expect anyone to remember it but it was a 18 foot custom rear door. I believe an 82

the truth is I should have got them both, and six more and sold them that summer.

the people that want them really want them.

i moved into mine or I would have sold it and kept flipping them. I wish I had but I always want to have one. Probably this one too, probably never get rid of it. I have too many dreams about it already.

And It would feel so weird selling the vehicle I lived in. Id say get the hell out of here this is my space!

If I ever own a sunrader also, Ill be tempted to switch

I am still tempted to pull the trigger on that 1990 sunrader near by me and gut it to the bare bones for a bug out vehicle, panel it in kevlar in a few spots for just in case scenarios and keep a wide open floor plan. Alas like the one on ebay though that Derek noticed is getting no bids, its a high mileage vehicle. that wouldn't scare me away on a 22re but the 1990 is a v6...

No, no bids. Maybe others noticed that the 'house' door had been rebuilt/replaced with something pretty ugly, the awning was falling off and the was something going on with the ceiling in the rear corner over the bed. Probably other stuff I didn't notice. :)

my gawd you actually watched that video? how many days did it take to download>? :)

Miles are a little high. I seen the repair in front of the door.

Also noticed the awning was doing something funny ( may not be folded good)

About mid way drivers side top coach, there is something going on at the roof line.

This unit has the large back window, so look under the window for rot.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

sorry that thing is kind of rough to put it nicely missing a number of things inside too like half of stove knobs and light parts inside rough and ugly outside same

BY the way DEREK i checked the dates on myn today i will eat a lot of crow and profondly ask your forgivness my chassis date is DEC 1986 the R V BODY IS DATED MARCH 1987

well, as 5Toyota mentioned and I was agreeing on were that the date on the truck and the date on the RV camper part are different years. 1985 and 1986 in my case, 1986 and 1987 in his case

it makes sense the chassis build date is from toyota the r v plants buy a bunch of the cab and frame units might set on the rv factury lot for a few months in my case three months the camper part is dated from when they built it on that chassis. i worked in manufactoring for 40 years not in rv. here where i live WAS THE hometown of CHINOOK moter homes and also WESTERN RV wilderness brand both gone now but the company ADVENTURER rv has moved here from CANADA making a small class c and slide in truck units.

well, as 5Toyota mentioned and I was agreeing on were that the date on the truck and the date on the RV camper part are different years. 1985 and 1986 in my case, 1986 and 1987 in his case

Yes what 05toyota said most often it is like that... I know the GS one we bought the chassis is an 00 but the coach is an 01 and it is (DMV) registered as an 01.